Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 tool kit screwdriver handle mystery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
TJB/914
Hi CW's

I was going through my 914 tool kit spares looking for a handle I promised to Mr. Blackstain (other post).

I noticed the lower shank on the black handle is different, some round & some fluted?? Can anyone tell me what's correct or was it different supplier's???? Also, anyone know what the light grey one is for?? popcorn[1].gif

Need to know before I send to Johny Blackstain.

Tom
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 29 2007, 01:37 PM) *

Hi CW's

I was going through my 914 tool kit spares looking for a handle I promised to Mr. Blackstain (other post).

I noticed the lower shank on the black handle is different, some round & some fluted?? Can anyone tell me what's correct or was it different supplier's???? Also, anyone know what the light grey one is for?? popcorn[1].gif

Need to know before I send to Johny Blackstain.

Tom

Tom- again, many many thanks. The black one all the way to the right, next to the white one, w/ the long "Made in W-Germany" down the middle of the handle is like my cracked one. Has metal inserts inside the handle. I've seen the white one before & think it was from an early 73, if it has no metal inside the handle. Attached is a photo of mine along w/ what I'm now calling "Hazet Madness". I've now found 3 Hazet 13/10s, one Hazet 13/8 & the "DIN 895 13/10" non-Hazet I thought was my original. Let's not forget the pliers that started it all. I have no idea where my Dad got all of these & I know as long as I've been around he never went to a swap meet blink.gif .

cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
closer/larger shot:

cool_shades.gif
TJB/914
Hi Johny Blackstain,

I'll send you the black handle (only) next to the white one tomorrow or when I return from vacation after the 4th. weekend.

Tom
BTW: Nothings for sale, I just give it away when I feel like it or look for trades if you got something I need. popcorn[1].gif I am a little sicko collecting this stuff, but it's fun (see photo).
Eric_Shea
Gents... I'm looking at putting a tool kit together for my GT clone.

I have the bag and a few other goodies from an appropiate year 911. I need to gather some of the other goodies. Are they similar from 911 to 914 in 1970?
ScooterD
Johny and Tom,
Her is a picture of my tool kit, my car was built in 9-72 (early 73 model). It has a white handle for the screwdriver without a metal insert for the blade like Johny thought. It does not have a set of pliers and to the best of my knowledge never did. Can anyone confirm this for an early 73 car? Notice the oddly shaped hex wrench, has anyone seen this before or is it an add on from the PO?

Scooter

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 29 2007, 08:04 PM) *

I have the bag and a few other goodies from an appropiate year 911. I need to gather some of the other goodies. Are they similar from 911 to 914 in 1970?

E- I'm doing the same thing for my 70/6 & I believe the answer is yes. Attached is a photo of what I've been using as my guide.

cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(ScooterD @ Jun 29 2007, 09:20 PM) *

Johny and Tom,
Her is a picture of my tool kit, my car was built in 9-72 (early 73 model). It has a white handle for the screwdriver without a metal insert for the blade like Johny thought. It does not have a set of pliers and to the best of my knowledge never did. Can anyone confirm this for an early 73 car? Notice the oddly shaped hex wrench, has anyone seen this before or is it an add on from the PO?

Scooter

Click to view attachment

I've never seen that hex wrench but my knowledge is limited. Check out P914s' website on tools & stuff:

http://www.p914.com/

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ScooterD @ Jun 29 2007, 07:20 PM) *

Johny and Tom,

Scooter

Click to view attachment

The shorter of the 2 hex wrenches is fr the lugnuts. The longer is for the spark plugs (though I' never use it for that).
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 29 2007, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 29 2007, 08:04 PM) *

E- I'm doing the same thing for my 70/6 & I believe the answer is yes. Attached is a photo of what I've been using as my guide.

cool_shades.gif

Al,

Nice toolkit! But, the Porsche shop towel wasn't part of it, from the factory. Yep, they've been available aftermarket since the late 70's, but were never part of the original. My wife used to have a miniskirt made from them - wouldn't work well today! Shhh, I didn't say that!
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 29 2007, 11:28 PM) *

The shorter of the 2 hex wrenches is fr the lugnuts. The longer is for the spark plugs (though I' never use it for that).

I think ScooterD meant that weird "P" looking thing next to the hubcap puller.

cool_shades.gif
TJB/914
Here's a photo of Gary Stellmach's 914-6 tool kit. Hope it adds more detail.

T
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 29 2007, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 29 2007, 11:28 PM) *

I think ScooterD meant that weird "P" looking thing next to the hubcap puller.

cool_shades.gif

Oops. Apparently I misconstrued my hexes! Truthfully, I have no knowledge of the "P' shaped united, if it's hex shaped (can't tell), but I'd kill to have that hubcap puller!
Pat

ps: What is that P=shaped thing?
Eric_Shea
OK... that's the bag I have so it's the same bag as the 911 of that era. Now all I need to do is fill it up biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Eric, here is a 914-6 kit (which you may recognize) and a '66 911 kit.
orthobiz
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 29 2007, 11:33 PM) *

Al,

Nice toolkit! But, the Porsche shop towel wasn't part of it, from the factory. Yep, they've been available aftermarket since the late 70's, but were never part of the original. My wife used to have a miniskirt made from them - wouldn't work well today! Shhh, I didn't say that!
Pat

This reply is worthless without a (vintage) pic!

Paul
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 29 2007, 11:33 PM) *

Al,

Pat

Wish I knew that before I got one on eBay for $8 dry.gif . How bout that vintage photo happy11.gif ?

cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
Eric, here is a 914-6 kit (which you may recognize)

Yup... sad.gif

I think I have some pictures around here some where of the kit. I remember taking some for Tom and Gary a few years back... some kind of plier debate back then.

I'm going to get a picture of what I have and go from there.
Eric_Shea
OK guys... what am I missing?
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 05:05 PM) *

Eric,

First thing, the black handles on the screw driver's should/must be RED.

T
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 09:05 PM) *

Klein spark plug wrench & allen key, 5 open end wrenches, 1 double box end wrench. Is the 19mm lug wrench tapered @ the end? As Tom said, handles are supposed to be red.

cool_shades.gif
BS Chairman
About $500.00 worth of stuff!! And a pair of pliers in a pear tree. av-943.gif
Gary
Eric_Shea
Yeah I know... and the screwdrivers aren't real. Tincan sent me the absolute PERFECT RS tool kit so I'm trying to get something scraped together for the GT clone...
Johny Blackstain
Got the screwdriver handle today Tom & had to say thanks again! Perfect match to my cracked, glued & taped one. I will never use it again laugh.gif ! Just have to find an old inner tube to cut into black rubber bands now & the kit is complete. I owe you one!

cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.