Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixing a broken taillight euro lense
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
ok...how would a broken lense be fixed?? It is broken directly down one of the seperation lines (in between colors)...epoxy??? thanks alot
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Luke
Epoxy is pretty hard to control and not get a big seam or on the lenses themselves ...

Think I might try the "thick" version Cyanoacrylate (Crazy Glue) they sell at the good hobby stories .. Sorry don't remember the brand off the top of my head ...

The sign business also has a really good cement that melts acrylic together ..
you put the two pieces together and then flood the seam ... Get it at a Sign supply or local shop ..
Grelber
I used good old "Gorilla Glue" from Home Depot on the same break. Haven't had a problem since.
Dr. Roger
a second on the gorilla glue. just follow the directions. =)
jonferns
im assuming it dries clear???
Grelber
No, it doesn't. That's why you use it on the seam, where it wasn't clear to start with.
jonferns
it looks as if it was already glued together at one point...ill clean off the old glue, and try the gorilla glue....--JON
neo914-6
QUOTE(Luke @ Jun 29 2007, 02:18 PM) *

Epoxy is pretty hard to control and not get a big seam or on the lenses themselves ...

Think I might try the "thick" version Cyanoacrylate (Crazy Glue) they sell at the good hobby stories .. Sorry don't remember the brand off the top of my head ...

The sign business also has a really good cement that melts acrylic together ..
you put the two pieces together and then flood the seam ... Get it at a Sign supply or local shop ..

I got something like this from TAP plastics for my shortened neo914 lenses. I sanded the faces flat for the glue to stick to plastic. So far so good.
jonferns
how does this stuff work???...looks like it welds the two pieces or something.... http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=130& TAP Acrylic Cement
--JON
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jun 29 2007, 04:14 PM) *

it looks as if it was already glued together at one point...ill clean off the old glue, and try the gorilla glue....--JON

Jon,

Don't sand it down! You're break is beyond the glue joint - if you sand it down it will shorten the length of the lens & when you try to fit it...it won't!

I swear, the Germans tried to make plastic & vinyl pieces irrepairable!

Depending on your use of the car, I'd try Gorilla Glue - it is a remarkable product. Yes, you'll be able to see the joint, but unless you just buy another lens, I think that's the best you can do.

Here's what I think causes this problem. Too many people put the lenses in place, put the tightening screw/buttons one & carnk them till they won't crank anymore - trying to make them fit too tight against the gaskets. Put that kind of stress on any plastic/butt welded piece will eventually cause it to stress & crack.

Whatever you use, let it cure, then screw it down in stages, until you have a reasonably tight seal - not until it cracks again.

For my money.....I'd get another lens. BTW, why euro lenses? Was your 914 a euro delivery? Does it have side markers?
jonferns
icon_bump.gif want to fix this lense...thx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.