Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vented valve covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Jake recommended I do this for my engine. Apparently this involves welding on a 1/2" fitting to the cover. Anyone got pics?
URY914
Back when I was running an "open" system I used these aluminum v/c and I JB Weld'd nipples on the ends. They leaked so much I really ddidn't need them vented.

hmeeder
John Rogers welded breathers to his in this article on the bird. Some pics of what he did.

Valve Covers

A couple years ago, he sold me a set and I like them, but they leak where the hose meets the breather. Oil is like water; if there's a way out, it will find it. I'm thinking of modifying them so it's less likely. You also have to cut a hole in your tin and it can be tricky to get them on and off (clearance between tin and the breather tubes. It's not ideal.
john rogers
As Herb noted, they leak unless you have an external multi-stage dry sump pump system as the valve covers will fill with oil at high RPMs and out it will come. To prevent this you need a vacuum in the crankcase to help the oil flow down the push rod tubes.
McMark
I don't think you should vent the valve covers themselves. Just drill and tap in the stock location. If you put the vent on your valve covers you have to remove that oil line at every valve adjustment. I know for a fact that Jake didn't mean to actually vent your valve covers themselves, even if that's exactly what he said. happy11.gif He meant vent your valve cover area via the head. Like this:
craig downs
Thats the best way but some heads like my 1.8s don't have that boss cast in the head.
thomasotten
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 29 2007, 08:37 PM) *

I don't think you should vent the valve covers themselves. Just drill and tap in the stock location. If you put the vent on your valve covers you have to remove that oil line at every valve adjustment. I know for a fact that Jake didn't mean to actually vent your valve covers themselves, even if that's exactly what he said. happy11.gif He meant vent your valve cover area via the head. Like this:

Your way makes more sense to me, and that is what I am familiar with. Maybe I got it wrong but Jake did say something about welding on the 1/2" fitting.
computers4kids
I installed the breather vents on my 1.8 and my 2.0 and they never leaked. I used the ones from CB Performance here for $6.95.

I actually purchased the kit that included a puke box as well. My current motor was a 76 and only had one vent on the passenger's head. The venting all but stopped my oil leaks.

I noticed that one of the posters had installed the nipples going horizontally, which makes routing the hoses a bit easier. However, I chose to mount my "short" valve cover nipples on the top of the valve cover facing upward. This left plenty of room for the hoses and reduced the chance of any leaks. If you want a picture, I can't send one until after August 1st when I return home from vacation.

The hoses from the valve covers were intentionally left a little long (loops upward inside engine compartment) so I can pop the valve covers and move them out of the way for valve adjustments without removing the hose.

My 2 cents,
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.