Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I Find A Decent Tire Pressure Gage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbledsoe
I am in search of a decent tire pressure gage.

25 years ago, when I was racing, Autometer was of excellent quality and you could count on their products. With that background I went in search of a tire pressure gage recently. Needless to say I turned to Autometer based on passed experience.

Stupid me. So I bought an Autogage (Autometer) tire pressure gage and got, for my $35 not including shipping, was a Taiwan made gage. OK, it looks nice and since it wears the Autometer name it should be of good quality. WRONG! This is a gage that is supposed to hold pressure once engaged to the tire stem so one can read it indirectly i.e., once removed from the valve stem and turned so it is easily read, or lifted to the light if taking tire pressure in dim light... a good thing... if it worked. Then pressure can be relieved via a press button to check the next tire. Well excuse me, but the stupid thing won't hold pressure and loses pressure from the initial reading at a rate of 2 pounds per second.

Can anyone suggest a decent tire pressure gage? I am not concerned about cost. I just want a high quality gage with the same features i.e., holds the pressure reading until a button is pressed to release it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am sick and tired of cheap Taiwan/Chinese junk sold by US companies masquerading as their (US) "quality" products... and yes I know that there are a lot of quality products coming out of Taiwan... check their optical telescopes (something I have a lot of experience with) so this is not intended to be racist rant (I'm just expressing my experience with automotive products from those countries under US names... and it's really more a sorry sign of the times that I even have to put that qualifier in this message).

Any suggestion on what high quality tire pressure gage I should buy would be greatly appreciated.

Don
dbledsoe
I Guess no one uses a tire pressure gage... Odd...
McMark
I've never found one that I would consider quality. sad.gif Sorry, I'm no help.

Although, I do tend to put a bit of faith in the products from Griot's Garage.
McMark
They even have one on sale. Sounds pretty neat. I might just buy one... idea.gif

Tire Gauge
markb
Porsche sells one...
Joe Ricard
Longacre

But I just use an ACCUGAGE from the FLAPS
I had to calibrate it by comparing it to a known good one. take it apart and tweak the bordon tube.

Drop it and no matter what you buy it will be fucked up.
dbledsoe
Thanks guys! Your help is greatly appreciated.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.