Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Open Car Trailer Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage

All, since I have no knowledge of car trailers.. any advice out there?

Here's some questons that I HAVE:
* Who and why one brand vs another
* Price points that I should be aware of
* Surge brakes vs elec
* 2 inch ball vs 2 5/16
* alum vs steel

And any other useful info.. currently looking at trailex @ 7 k for an open trailer.

Ok experts..

messix
wow where to start?

you get what you pay for.

look for a c-channel or box tube frame, bigger thicker the better.
some have the deck support made from flimsy angle iron[ bad].
surge brakes will be more $. electric is fine.
2" ball ok if max out under 5k lbs, i would want to trust 10k on less than 2 5/16" although the key is the shank size [the part that bolts to the hitch and slides into the receiver]
steel will cost alot less, but weigh more.

things that you want that are usually extra cost, brakes on both axels, tie down points on the deck or on the deck side, ramps, treated decking. beaver tail, backend slants down to make loading low clearance easier.

thats all i could think off right now.
messix
just looked at the trailex.... spendy !
Van914
Trailex is what I have. Many advantages to Alum. trailers.
Weigh less
1 person can move it around
Tow vehiecle can be a V6
Mine tows great at 70 - 75 with my MDX
Look for a used one

Good luck
Van914
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
My 2 cents:

16 ft. if you are only using for a 914 the 18ft. is way to big.
Toolbox or something on the front to protect the trailered vihicle from
road debris thrown up by wheels of the tow vihicle.
Also front half of the floor covered with Alum. plate for the same
reason as above.

Surge or elec. brakes???? I for one would like more discusion here

on the pro and con of both. Brakes are a bad place to cheap out!!!!

Lights ,l are L.E.D. standard or optional , if optional worth the extra

price, just follow 2 simis one with L.E.D.'s and one without you will

see the difference .

Dave slap.gif

degreeoff
Another question....why new? I bought my steel deal here from a pelicanite @ 1100 buck, elec brakes, dual axle, slant rear box steel C channel and it was 6 years old..I added a floor on the center and rails to the side for a "dual" trash/car hauler...keep your eyes open you'll find a good one for WAY less than 7 K
Johny Blackstain
I'm familiar w/ "Featherlight" & electric brakes. All aluminium, very light (1350lbs/16'), very strong, removeable fenders & the brakes rock. Perfect economical set up for towing a 914 w/ a S-10 Chevy. Install an electronic brake controller inside the truck & the only time you feel anything is going uphill, gravity, but never downhill w/ those brakes. Easy to move around by yourself & low enough to drive up on & not hurt anything underneath the car.

cool_shades.gif
Joe Ricard
We use a big heavy steal 18 ft. no brakes , does have beaver tail and metal floor with open center section. LED's Requires 10 ft long ramps to get 914 on the trailer (just barely)
Takes a 4.6L Ford F150 to marginally get the job done. makes 10 MPG towing.

Not my rig and I would not go this route as there are lots better choices.
73Phoenix20
BEST Car hauler is the U Haul Auto Transport... Good surge brakes, open chassis to help in tie down, low to the ground for easy loading, no storage issues, and if you get to know the local dealer, they will work with you on reservations and one day trips...

But, if you have to have your own, an Interstate 1 18' with 2' beavertail, dual brake axles, boxed frame (as above), and electric brakes is my choice... medium heavy, so it rides and pulls well, and with the electric brake controller you can set it up for any load weight, for nice straight stops every time. Surge brakes can be a little "iffy"... either all on or not at all... they don't have the progressive braking feel of electrics.

Featherlights are nice, but sort of spendy... the Interstate 1 , with brakeaway kit, and a winch, came in at $3,000.00 new out of the box, with HD 15" wheels and HD Radial Tires...
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Jun 30 2007, 09:54 AM) *

Featherlights are nice, but sort of spendy

Unfortunately agree.gif 100%. Very pricey, which is why I don't own one & borrow my friends laugh.gif .

cool_shades.gif
ALL,

Thanks for the education. I guess the last factor that I WILL make is where to park it.. wife does not want it on the drive way. She points out and 'how' many days will you used this? Good advice on U Haul.. but after reading the artical last Sunday's LA Times regarding how bad some are maintain...

Again, thanks for all the advice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.