Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 rage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swm914
After 25 yrs of marriage and with the kids almost raised my wife said I should finally get the 914 I wanted since I was 17. In December I did just that. I usually post in the originality forum but I want to post this in the garage.

I’ve been the recipient of 3 unprovoked obscene gestures ranging from teens along the road on bikes to a middle aged guy in a Dodge sedan who pulled up beside me on the passenger side. I’ve also been tailgated dangerously close 2 or 3 times by guys in large pickup trucks. One of them cut me off getting back into my lane. The most recent incident was this morning so it is fresh on my mind. All I could see was the grill of his Dodge Ram. I lost him on the curved road but then traffic back up and he finally caught up and got even closer.

I know I don’t live in “anything goes” sunny CA or in Florida where they’re all around so maybe it is the area (central PA). It is Phoenix Red so maybe the color sets them off. Is there something about these things that people don’t like? Did I unknowingly buy a classic car that is preferred by those in alternate lifestyles and since I'm driving on it is assumed I do as well? Just the random acts of jerks?

Any similar experiences? I might start taking Sadie (not my wife, my German Shepherd) along with me on my Saturday early morning spins. Thoughts?
Thanks
Steve

TROJANMAN
People only began tailgating you when you started driving your 914? biggrin.gif

You probaby just notice it more because you are in a tiny car wink.gif

Or you need to move to a safer part of the country laugh.gif

It's funny how people react to seeing a 914 in different parts of the country.
Not many people give you a second look in California. In Colorado people are always asking me about my car.
rhodyguy
get a set of the double/2 tone horns. they're LOUD. use them as needed or when ever you're in the mood. the longer the duration the better.

k
ahdoman
Add a gun rack and gun in your back window. ar15.gif
Danny_Ocean
These usually work for me:

finger.gif

IPB Image
VaccaRabite
But, Hershey PA? Its like the happiest place on earth!

I'm guessing that people are dirving the way they always drive around you, but you are noticing it more cause you are in a small car.

Zach

Johny Blackstain
I get way too much attention in the 74 but it's almost all simple curiosity or astonishment... nothing negative... yet... knock on wood unsure.gif . One guy circled me twice to check out every detail driving along I-66 @ highway speeds rolleyes.gif .

cool_shades.gif
swm914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 30 2007, 11:42 AM) *

But, Hershey PA? Its like the happiest place on earth!

I'm guessing that people are dirving the way they always drive around you, but you are noticing it more cause you are in a small car.

Zach

Zach...not in town Hershey...only the back roads!

You guys are probably right about the small car and the feeling that I'm being tailgaited...but gettin' flipped the bird??
914-8
Must be that DEATH TO AMERICA! bumper sticker.
Elliot Cannon
I've had nothing but good response when I drive the car. Lots of thumbs up, "nice car" and the usual comment, "I used drive a 914 way back in the day." Like I told my Son many years ago. "Ten percent of any group of people in the world are flaming assholes." It's our job to identify who they are and deal with it. I try to ignore the ignorant. If that doesn't work I tell them to GO FUCH THEMSELVES. laugh.gif

Happy driving, Elliot
Mid_Engine_914
Maybe they think you’re a nonconformist? (Insert Borg Smilie)
BMXerror
Stupid rednecks that think you're trying to prove something because you're driving a foreign car? confused24.gif That would be my guess. My response to those kind of people is always, "You're not that important! If you feel inferior, than that's your problem." Anything like this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijdOkPD6vsw
Mark D.
jonferns
av-943.gif "carry a gun!" biggrin.gif
thomasotten
No no, I noticed it too. 914 rage exists. Girls notice the car. Guys notice the car too, but since they don't have one, some get jealous. Some of them know that the 914 is an "easy target" in terms of horsepower, so that's why you'll get a guy in a Mustang pass the yellow line to get around you where they normally wouldn't.
majkos
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jun 30 2007, 01:12 PM) *

Stupid rednecks that think you're trying to prove something because you're driving a foreign car? confused24.gif That would be my guess. My response to those kind of people is always, "You're not that important! If you feel inferior, than that's your problem." Anything like this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijdOkPD6vsw
Mark D.

Kinda funny AND those Redneck's were in a Toyo..........da
w00t.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
McMark
Put an air horn in back. That'll surprise them. happy11.gif
effutuo101
I would have to say that most of the jack a$$'s read PORSCHE respond to that. It doesn't matter that it is a 30+ year old car. All they know is they don't have one, thier girlfriend wants to ride with you with the top off. They get angry and want to wag thier big truck in your face (so to speak). Get to know your local sherrif and look into road rage laws. You could do some cool Bond crap to your car, but that would detract from it.
watsonrx13
Whenever someone tailgates me, I normally slow down so they can pass. But, sometimes they don't want to so I turn the windshield washer/wipers on and spray their windshield. Normally they then get on around, but you have to wait for them to spray you back (or slam on their brakes). Since I drive a Miata everyday, I've gotten use to people tailgating me. I drive 10 mph over the posted speed limit, but always get out of the 'hot rods' way when they'er coming up behind me....

Just be careful out there, and drive faster... driving.gif

-- Rob
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 30 2007, 06:45 PM) *

You could do some cool Bond crap to your car, but that would detract from it.

Easiest would be the smoke screen. Install a pump/injector/tank somewhere in the intake. Use brake fluid as fuel. When someone tailgates, you flip a switch and whoooshhh...they'll disappear in a cloud of white smoke.

I have an electric "car safe", used for storing guns/valuables inside the car. It operates just like a cash register drawer. You push a remote switch, and a heavy spring pops the drawer open. These are available anywhere they sell safes or security-related equipment for vehicles. My idea is to mount this drawer upside down, underneath the car (towards the rear). Load the drawer with 5 lbs. of 1" roofing nails. Tailgater? Click....instant roofing nail shower will fall from the back of your car. Unfortunately, everyone else behind you will be changing their flats, too.
Katmanken
Didja buy the car locally? Maybe the previous driver drove like an agressive cut in and out of traffic across three lanes of traffic dive in between two cars 15 ft apart traveling at 75 asshole and pissed a lot of people off.

Maybe they think you are him....

Dunno

Ken
swm914
[quote name='Elliot Cannon' date='Jun 30 2007, 11:55 AM' post='917938']
I've had nothing but good response when I drive the car. Lots of thumbs up, "nice car" and the usual comment, "

Lots of great feedback..To be fair, I've gotten my fair share of thumbs up and waves too, even from a 911 last weekend. I don't want to give a bad impression of central PA. I've lived here my whole life and love it. Maybe I have to pick some different roads or have just come upon 2 years worth of jerks condensed into a 6 weeks time fame.

It just seemed strange to me what was happening becasue it was all totally unprovoked so I figured it must be the car. I suppose it causes a reaction one way of the other and I've seen both extremes from a bird flipping tailgater to friendly waves from other classic cars of all kinds.
Steve
Dr Evil
Wow, Steve. That is some wierd stuff considering I live down the street (literally) from you. I have not experienced anything like that while on my bikes (closest analogy).

I have driven Steve's car and it is a real gem! I cant see why anyone would treat him that way unless he isnt driving it as it was designed wink.gif Steve is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet (makes me look like a real A-hole biggrin.gif )

P.S. Steve, if you want to hear the sounds of a /6 you can stop by tomorrow, I'll be in the garage all day (working on the MBZ, 914, R90, etc). biggrin.gif
John
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jun 30 2007, 01:32 PM) *

No no, I noticed it too. 914 rage exists. Girls notice the car. Guys notice the car too, but since they don't have one, some get jealous. Some of them know that the 914 is an "easy target" in terms of horsepower, so that's why you'll get a guy in a Mustang pass the yellow line to get around you where they normally wouldn't.

That's typical in my part of the country. You should see the punk's reaction when I stand on it. The 3.2 comes to life and pisses off nearly anything on the road. My street car is very stock appearing on the outside and still has the 2.0 emblem.

The 914 is such a small low car that it appears as if people are driving closer to you. The things that freak me out are the BIG trucks. I really hate looking directly at the center of a wheel hub just beyond my passenger seat.

Either you get used to it, move somewhere else, or you sell the car.

I remember having one of those JACKED UP pickup trucks tailgate me in my 930 with their brights on. I slowed and let the jerk pass and I turned on my brights. (my turbo has 90/130W H4 bulbs). That guy about shit when I lit up his world with my little furen car. (My wife was pissed when I did that)
brer
You're number ONE!

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.