Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with clutch issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hex123
I had to pull the tranny because the rear oil seal desintergraded. One neat surprise upon pulling the transmission is that PO had installed a Lightened flywheel.
So I replaced the engine seal, flywheel bearing and o ring, the original clutch disk was soaked in oil so I ordered the 215mm 6 spring one from jake raby, also replaced the throw out bearing. I Re-used the pressure plate and flywheel. the surfaces did not look bad so they were not machined just a light cleaning with sand paper to get rid of some of the oil glaze. Upon re assembly I noticed the clutch fork was not positioned all the way forward ie towards the engine, it sat in the middle of travel with only about a inch of space to the rear. thoght maybe the new disk accounts for the difference so hooked up the cable and started her up.

well i have no clutch disengagement headbang.gif its as if the pressure plate is too far away and the throwout bearing cant push deep enough to disengage. Its not cable adjustment cause the clutch fork is running out of space it hits the tranny casing when the clutch pedal is all the way in.
so seeing as the clutch was working fine before i pulled it what went wrong? is there something special to be done with a light flywheel and a 6 spring disk?
any clues would be appreciated.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(hex123 @ Jun 30 2007, 11:40 AM) *

I had to pull the tranny because the rear oil seal desintergraded. One neat surprise upon pulling the transmission is that PO had installed a Lightened flywheel.
So I replaced the engine seal, flywheel bearing and o ring, the original clutch disk was soaked in oil so I ordered the 215mm 6 spring one from jake raby, also replaced the throw out bearing. I Re-used the pressure plate and flywheel. the surfaces did not look bad so they were not machined just a light cleaning with sand paper to get rid of some of the oil glaze. Upon re assembly I noticed the clutch fork was not positioned all the way forward ie towards the engine, it sat in the middle of travel with only about a inch of space to the rear. thoght maybe the new disk accounts for the difference so hooked up the cable and started her up.

well i have no clutch disengagement headbang.gif its as if the pressure plate is too far away and the throwout bearing cant push deep enough to disengage.
so seeing as the clutch was working fine before i pulled it what went wrong? is there something special to be done with a light flywheel and a 6 spring disk?
any clues would be appreciated.

someone may have installed a 911s pplate that requires a thinner disc. Upon installation of the thicker vw type clutch disc there is not disengagement
hex123
Thanks. The interchangeability of parts on these cars appears to be both a curse and a blessing.
any easy way to identify if it is a 911 PPlate
what is a better solution keep the thicker disk and source a stock pressure plate or keep the pressure plate a get a stock disk.
rhodyguy
did you install the disc with the 'snout out'? on the metal center of the disc, one side sticks out an inch or so. that should be facing the trans. you also may need to tap on the pressure plate where the pins in the fw are.

k
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(hex123 @ Jun 30 2007, 12:14 PM) *

Thanks. The interchangeability of parts on these cars appears to be both a curse and a blessing.
any easy way to identify if it is a 911 PPlate
what is a better solution keep the thicker disk and source a stock pressure plate or keep the pressure plate a get a stock disk.

if you remove the plate compare it to the old. the s is lighter aluminum and thicker. The so called "six spring" disc is just an 025 bus disc which is the same size as the 914-4 disc but less expensive! That coupled with the 901/914 styled steel faced pressure plate works just fine. Knowing that the previous owner installed a lightened flywheel he may have also installed the lighter aluminum pressure plate for quicker spin up. That needs the thin disc.
You could also try adjusting the clutch cable so tight that the arm goes all of the way back and hits the transmission case. If it then disengages you may want to look at clutch stop clutch tube problems. If it still fails to disengage, you will have to take it apart and carefully measure things. If it worked before and all you did was switch the disc the disc has to be the problem! (look also at the heads of the flywheel bolts for rubbing against the disc (flywheel cut down too far) and make sure that the ballstud cup has not worn through (these are the typical problems for lack of disengagement that you might as well look at anyway.
hex123
just came back from pulling the tranny yup it was the ball cup in the clutch fork, thanks for all the help.
Joe Ricard
Damn it that's what I was going to say.
Pivot ball.
replace the nylon and or shim the ball out.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 1 2007, 07:49 AM) *

Damn it that's what I was going to say.
Pivot ball.
replace the nylon and or shim the ball out.

agree.gif A washer under the pivot arm does miracles...as noted on the tech article on the Bird board (clutch replacement)

Been there--done that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.