Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More cam timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
Well I took the case apart (will post pics if my home internet ever starts to work). I found the timing marks on the crank right away, but I had to look and look to find it on the cam. Finaly found it.... on the back of the gear!? WTF

If you follow the tooth the mark was on it was close, but not right. Surely these gears are not meant to be reversable?

Also what is that little nub on the end (by the flywheel) of the crank? Should it be centered?

The saga continues

-Pete
Brad Roberts
We will have to see the pics. As far as I know.. you cannot install the cam gear backwards.

This is the front side and the mark that should line up with the crank gear (which has 2 dots)

B
Brad Roberts
Like this.

B
trojanhorsepower
Crank marks
trojanhorsepower
Front of cam
trojanhorsepower
Back of cam
trojanhorsepower
That is the only mark that I have been able to find on the cam gear.

-Pete
trojanhorsepower
Also if I flip the cam gear I think that recess will cause the cam gear to be to far back.

Come on guys what'cha think?

confused24.gif

Thanks

Pete
Jake Raby
WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!

The cam gear is on BACKWARDS!!!!!

Start over! anybody that is that lost should not be trusted with the rest of the engine!!

I'm here all night, call me an I'll go over the right way of indexing the cam to the gear. Since it was on backwards and the holes only line up one way, that means he was 180 degrees out of index!!!!

In all my experience, I have never seen that one before! He really had to try hard to do that!

It also looks like he used a really thick grease for assembly lube- NOT GOOD!

START OVER-

Call me at 706 219 4874.
Brad Roberts
HOLY FUCKING SHIT (I can say that here)... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

I have NEVER seen anything like that in MY LIFE.

Dude.. you win mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif Worst post of 2003 award.

B
Brad Roberts
You have to tell us who it was... you just have too. We have to call this guy laughing our ass off.

I wont bad mouth him... just laugh and laugh..

B
Mark Henry
That's almost "urban legend" type of shit!

If I didn't see with my own eyes I would have said "bullshit"!!!!
Jake Raby
I have to say that he TRIED TO DO THAT!! Any idiot can see that the cam protrudes into the gear......

Hell I knew better than that when I was 8 and working on 5 horse briggs engines......
trojanhorsepower
laugh.gif I knew something was not right!!

Sorry it has taken me so long to post, but the home internet is down still!

I have to go Christmas shopping today so I won't get much done, but I will try and get a Allen socket to get the cam gear off, those bolts are tight as shit!

It looks like he used wheel bearing or just plain grease to lube everything up, I will pick up some more grease today while I am in town.

Another fun fact is that he let grease get into the bearing journals (behind the bearings).

I don't know who put the case together, I bought it from a fella named Brad Stees, but I think he got it from someone else. If I ever get email back I will try to get a name.

Thanks again everybody

-Pete

PS: Jake I may have time to disassemble the motor the rest of the way tonight and I will call you tonight if that is still OK
Jake Raby
Sure, call me.... Don't buy more grease!! Clean all that crap up and use engine oil for the assembly.... Thats all I use mixed with some STP(very little STP) I don't like a thick mixture as it interferes with "Feeling" the tolerances as the engine goes together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.