Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transplanting 2.0 into car with original 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I've been wondering if transplanting a 2.0 engine into a car with an original 1.7 or 1.8 engine would increase the value of the car?

Also, would transplanting a '76 2.0 into a '74 1.8 increase the value of the car?

-- Rob
terrymason
If the target car is an all original, excellent condition car, then I would probably say no. If the car is a $5000 average 914 then I'd say it would increase the value slightly.
914Sixer
If you are going for orignial, the answer is no. If all ready modified, it is a definate yes. 2.0 is the recomended engine.
Katmanken
Depends on how it runs,

Replacing a strong 1.8 with a crappy 2.0 won't get you anything.
boxstr
Personally I don't see any value in replacing with a 2.0. If you factor in the cost of the 2.0, then your time, labor, and any out pocket costs.
If anything it might get the car sold quicker, but not for an amount that you will be able to recapture costs on.
It is the condition of the car, rust,paint,interior, etc that give the car the value.
CCLIN914NATION
jonferns
we just picked up a '76 2.0 today, to replace the 1.8 in our '74....I assume that if the transplant is done correctly, and "well", then it should be a value adder...(or at least I can dream) biggrin.gif --JON
watsonrx13
Thanks for everyone's opinion.

My intention is to restore the cars, remove ALL rust, replace worn out parts, seals, etc, as needed, then sell the car. I'm hoping to get to the point where I can restore, but not to concurs level, at least 3 cars per year. I'll be looking for someone's project that has languished and are interested in selling.

My current driver will be the first one that I've completed the restoration and will offer it for sale in the very near future. I have a couple of minor issues to fix, then it will go on the market.

-- Rob
jonferns
3 per year!!! you must not be going very deep into restoring the cars, or you have all the time in the world....biggrin.gif good luck with that! --JON
Brando
If the engine is in good/great shape it certaintly couldn't decrease the value of the car.

If you're a CCW then it would be a deal-breaker for "100% All-Original".

Some of us like a little more go-power in our teeners, so it's a maybe.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 1 2007, 04:38 PM) *

3 per year!!! you must not be going very deep into restoring the cars, or you have all the time in the world....biggrin.gif good luck with that! --JON

Hey Jon, I definately hear ya.... biggrin.gif

I guess it depends on the time needed to restore these cars. BTW, I work full time (40)/wk, and I commute (2) hrs/day, but I get up at 4:30 am, I'm at work by 6:00, I leave work by 2:00 pm, then have the rest of the day light hours left to work on my cars. My wife works for a company out of CA, so she's busy until 6:00 - 7:00 pm. It works out great for both of us if I don't come home until after 6:00 pm rolleyes.gif

Currently, I'm working in a carport, which is killing my productivity during these extremely hot/humid summer hours in FL.... I'm hoping next year to start building a fully enclosed work shop, with A/C...

-- Rob
Cap'n Krusty
Unless you have a COA from Porsche, no one will ever know it wasn't built as a 2 litre car, IF the engine SN falls within the date period in which the car was built. So much for the valuation. A '76 engine is the LEAST desirable of the 2 litre engines, and the one with the shortest life expectancy. I find the concept of "restoring" 3 914s a year difficult to grasp, and the potential for profit on any or all of the "restorations" even more far-fetched. When you figure the cost of the parts and paint & materials alone, the cost of "restoration" far exceeds the cash you can rationally expect to generate from the sale of any or all of the cars. Refurbishing, maybe, but NOT restoration. The Cap'n
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 1 2007, 05:36 PM) *

Unless you have a COA from Porsche, no one will ever know it wasn't built as a 2 litre car, IF the engine SN falls within the date period in which the car was built. So much for the valuation. A '76 engine is the LEAST desirable of the 2 litre engines, and the one with the shortest life expectancy. I find the concept of "restoring" 3 914s a year difficult to grasp, and the potential for profit on any or all of the "restorations" even more far-fetched. When you figure the cost of the parts and paint & materials alone, the cost of "restoration" far exceeds the cash you can rationally expect to generate from the sale of any or all of the cars. Refurbishing, maybe, but NOT restoration. The Cap'n

Cap'n you are absolutely correct, I'm NOT restoring these cars, but refurbishing them... I want to try to get more of these cars back on the road, even if they are only weekend warriors...

-- Rob
ConeDodger
In my opinion, you will not increase the value. You may make it easier to sell. You may make it more fun to own. But what you spend on the second engine will offset any increase in price. Besides, you can make a 2.0 out of a 1.7 or 1.8 with some changes to the internals

It sounds more like you are cleaning these cars up and making them run well rather than restoring them. A restoration will never return cost + unless the car was extremely rare to begin with. I have heard that you are lucky to return your cost.

Just love them. In the end, they are like a woman. They will leave you and take half your stuff.
watsonrx13
Thanks again for everyone's comments, it's been very encouraging....

-- Rob
72914S
[Just love them. In the end, they are like a woman. They will leave you and take half your stuff.
[/quote]
av-943.gif av-943.gif It`s true! av-943.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 1 2007, 02:36 PM) *

...the potential for profit on any or all of the "restorations" even more far-fetched.

If you love what you are doing...go for it. However, even if you are just "refurbishing" these cars there is no such word in the 914 dictionary: Profit av-943.gif
orthobiz
For the 74 1.8, I believe you can keep the L-jet, keep the exhaust and put a 2.0 in without raising much suspicion that it's not all original. I don't know if the flowing of the 2.0 exhaust is so much better than the 1.8 that it would make much difference; I do know that the 75-76 2.0 exhaust is not the way to go.

Paul
thomasotten
That brings up an interesting question. Do VIN numbers indicate engine?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 1 2007, 07:37 PM) *

That brings up an interesting question. Do VIN numbers indicate engine?

Not in most cars of that vintage. 911s do, but only if you have a list of the number ranges, you can't tell directly from the VIN. The Cap'n
BK911
I've bought and sold about a dozen Porsches over the past 10 years, all with different levels of restoration. I've made money on every single one, some more than others. Inflation and increasing market values probably had the most to do with the profit. 914s are currently seeing a rise in market values. Buying several decent examples and fixing them up as you can over the next several years will most likely return more money than any savings account.
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 1 2007, 04:34 PM) *

Just love them. In the end, they are like a woman. They will leave you and take half your stuff.

hope Yopu doesn't read/believe that slap.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(BK911 @ Jul 2 2007, 03:33 PM) *

I've bought and sold about a dozen Porsches over the past 10 years, all with different levels of restoration. I've made money on every single one, some more than others. Inflation and increasing market values probably had the most to do with the profit. 914s are currently seeing a rise in market values. Buying several decent examples and fixing them up as you can over the next several years will most likely return more money than any savings account.

While that may very well be true, if you place a reasonable value on your time, you may find you're in the hole on every car. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.