Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Installing New Operating System at my parents
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott Carlberg
I'm here at my parents house (HEY, my 914 is here!) LOL

I'm going to be installing a 'legit' version of XP onto their computer, replacing a NON-legit version.

Anything I should do or make sure of to make things go easy?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Jul 1 2007, 04:09 PM) *

to make things go easy?

av-943.gif
Pnambic
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Jul 1 2007, 08:09 PM) *

I'm going to be installing a 'legit' version of XP onto their computer, replacing a NON-legit version.

Every time I reinstall an OS, (about once a year or so for someone in the family...), I back up my important files on CD's or DVD's or another computer on the network if one is available and then completely wipe the drive before reinstalling.

For my own personal use, I install the OS on a partition of its own. Makes it easier to wipe and reinstall when necessary.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Pnambic @ Jul 1 2007, 05:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Jul 1 2007, 08:09 PM) *

Every time I reinstall an OS, (about once a year or so for someone in the family...), I back up my important files on CD's or DVD's or another computer on the network if one is available and then completely wipe the drive before reinstalling.

For my own personal use, I install the OS on a partition of its own. Makes it easier to wipe and reinstall when necessary.

agree.gif Backup and reformat...you always get a better install...you may have to to to the mfg's website for a driver or two.

When you are ready to install...start the compuer with the CD in it...it will ask if you want to boot from the CD...say yes.

You will get a chance to "delete" the partition © do it and then recreate the partition followed by reformating (NFTS)...XP will begin to load automatically from there. XP install walks you through it...pretty easy.

I would highly recommend reformatting since you have a resident "illegal" copy of XP on your drive...it may come back to haunt you after you have reinstalled XP if you don't reformat.

My 2 cents
jonferns
I use a norton ghost, and make a backup image of the system, when I have it just the way I want it (i.e. with all my photos and music, etc on it)

...this way, if I ever get a virus, or the computer fuchs up, i pop in this disc (or series of discs), and in about 45 min, I have my setup, perfected!

BTW, doing this requires the use of DL dvd's (dual-layer), and have twice the capacity if a normal DVD....

as of now, I have 4 different backups: 1)of the "stock" OS 2) of the "stock" OS with my important programs 3 & 4) are just 2 different assortments of my system with music/pics biggrin.gif

IPB Image
computers4kids
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 1 2007, 06:27 PM) *

as of now, I have 4 different backups:

Hey Jon...four backups! boldblue.gif Dude do you work for the Federal Government? av-943.gif
Actually disk imaging is the way to go...except I backup to a an extra usb hard drive...2 minutes to restore the image.

jonferns
yea...4 backups keep up with my desire to always make changes to my pc....here it is...
IPB Image
sry to get off topic....biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.