Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It actually Started! A few issues though
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so anyone who might have read my previous thread on the Portland Historic races & getting my car together for it. Well I finished putting the linkage from the firewall to the tranny. I had a little trouble geting my clutch cable on. Just didn't want to pull enough to attacth to the throwout bearing arm. Well I got a little further under to get a better grip. Then it gave enough where I could get it on there. So I am finished under the car. I take it of the stands so I can reach into the engine bay easier. I get everything connected there & I go to start it. idea.gif Not sure what is going to happen.
So I turn it over & to my shock it started after a few turns. Runs a little on the rough side but evened out after it warmed up. Throttle response is still a little soft so I need to tighten my cable a bit. Well I go to put it in gear & go for a quick spin up the road driving.gif . I put my fot on the clutch & feel nothing. IT was allready sitting onthe floor headbang.gif . So what the hell did I do? Feel like I am missing some return spring or something. I looked at the pedal cluster & that spring looks like it assists with pushing the pedal down not bringing it back up. I'm a little stumped. Could my clutch tube have decided to seperate from the center tunnel? Please dazzle me with your brilliance & give me an easy fix pray.gif
John
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 1 2007, 06:22 PM) *

Okay so anyone who might have read my previous thread on the Portland Historic races & getting my car together for it. Well I finished putting the linkage from the firewall to the tranny. I had a little trouble geting my clutch cable on. Just didn't want to pull enough to attacth to the throwout bearing arm. Well I got a little further under to get a better grip. Then it gave enough where I could get it on there. So I am finished under the car. I take it of the stands so I can reach into the engine bay easier. I get everything connected there & I go to start it. idea.gif Not sure what is going to happen.
So I turn it over & to my shock it started after a few turns. Runs a little on the rough side but evened out after it warmed up. Throttle response is still a little soft so I need to tighten my cable a bit. Well I go to put it in gear & go for a quick spin up the road driving.gif . I put my fot on the clutch & feel nothing. IT was allready sitting onthe floor headbang.gif . So what the hell did I do? Feel like I am missing some return spring or something. I looked at the pedal cluster & that spring looks like it assists with pushing the pedal down not bringing it back up. I'm a little stumped. Could my clutch tube have decided to seperate from the center tunnel? Please dazzle me with your brilliance & give me an easy fix pray.gif

It sounds like your clutch cable is either disconnected or it is not tight enough. The pressure plate springs actually holds the pedal up. (i.e. if the clutch cable breaks, the pedal falls to the floor.)

You can take some slack out at the pedal assembly and more slack out back at the transmission. If the clutch tube welds fail, they can also cause similar problems.

Good luck to you.
JRust
I tightened it by the tranny & that seems to have fixed the problem. I'll adjust it a little more tommorow. I can really hear the the cable when I push the clutch in. Still a little tight I think. My other issues are my throttle is sticking at the pedal. It's fine & releases well when I gas it from the throttle body. When I do it from the pedal it sticks. Suggestions there?
Drove it up the road & it misses some on acceleration. I hope to iron it out on the fourth. Won't have much time till then to work on it.
McMark
Check to make sure your clutch cable and throttle cables aren't twisted. That might be what you're hearing when you step on the clutch.
JRust
That actually sounds like that might be the issue. I haven't had time to go check it out again. I'll pull off that stinking foot board again! Then get a better look down there. Does it typically twist close to the pedal cluster? I'll get into it tommorow & see if it does it. I'll back my clutch off first so it has a little play. Hopefully I'll get it squared away tommorow. I'll let you all know what it was- Jamie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.