Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The difference between Early and Late Exhaust Systems, a Visual Guide
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newto914s
This is my first attempt at actually contributing to this site smile.gif
A brief write up on the difference between early(70-74) and late(75-76) style exhaust systems, with many pictures for you visual learners.
We'll start the Heater Box
Arranged top to bottom.
e1.7
e2.0
L2.0 all passenger sides
Click to view attachment
Note the separate collector for the later style.
Also note the bend in the 1.7 differentiating it from the e2.0
Click to view attachment
newto914s
Now to show the ID of the tubing, Keep in mind these are all used and are not perfectly true(margin of error), but you can still see a notable difference between the Stainless steel early style and the later ID
e1.7
Click to view attachment
e2.0
Click to view attachment
L2.0
Click to view attachment
Muffler mount flanges.
e1.7
Click to view attachment
e2.0
Click to view attachment
L2.0
Click to view attachment
newto914s
Air guide hardware, S and J-tubes on the left for Early style and the one Piece for the Later styleClick to view attachment
As mounted with Flapper boxes in place.
Click to view attachment
newto914s
Muffler hangers, picture courtesy of Rhodyguy
Click to view attachment
And the Thread it came from.
newto914s
Various pictures of the Bursch Mufflers for the L2.0 and e1.7 on bottom.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
newto914s
Mufflers are near identical differing only by the collector arrangement for obvious reasons, one a 2-1 and the other a 4-2-1. Also note the jumper pipe in the L2.0 for deleting the Cat.
Click to view attachment
newto914s
And lastly the late Stock muffler with Cat in place and O2 sensor of some kind.
newto914s
Well, that's all I've got. I hope that will help someone someday. If you've got a picture of the OME e1.7 and/or e2.0 Banana muffler post it.
Thanks
Samson
McMark
Very cool! Thanks for taking the time! smiley_notworthy.gif

I think the 'O2 sensor' is the EGR bung. wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 1 2007, 10:16 PM) *

Yup... Gotta be. No O2 sensor on a 914 from factory.
newto914s
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 1 2007, 09:18 PM) *

Yup... Gotta be. No O2 sensor on a 914 from factory.

I knew it wasn't an O2 sensor but I couldn't think what else it would be, thus the "of some kind" biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
Wow, thanks for show us that. I would have never learned that else where. I have read a few books on 914s, and not one of them mentioned any of that.
RohJay
This is very helpful. Thanks for your effort.

re. Bursch, are there diiferent versions to suit the various early engine sizes. ie. 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0?
SirAndy
QUOTE(RohJay @ Jul 1 2007, 11:20 PM) *

re. Bursch, are there diiferent versions to suit the various early engine sizes. ie. 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0?

yes.

one for 1.7L/1.8L motors and one for the 2.0L motors ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
sean_v8_914
instant classic thread!!!
rhodyguy
the top hanger in post #14 is for the late (75-76) hes. the one for earlier version 2.0 hes are narrower (distance from bolt hole to bolt hole). i posted a picture of all 3 versions and the repsective b.h. measurements about 2 years ago.

k
Cap'n Krusty

Nice guess, but wrong. The EGR line bolts to the rectangular plate just to the right of the bung in question. That bung (with the device screwed into it) is an exhaust temp warning unit. There's a light on the dash, IIRC, that illuminates when the cat gets too hot. The Cap'n
newto914s
Thanks Rhodyguy, I just edited #14 to include your picture.
Samson
johannes
I say "I vote: CLASSIC" !!!!
rhodyguy
to add to this. after communicating barber dave, there seems to be a varience concerning the 1.7/1.8 mufflers. as dave relayed to me, the early, early 1.7 bursch mufflers are configured for the rear valance with the hole as opposed to the valances with the notch.

k
gothspeed
2007 thread bump to 2018!

Does anyone know of any HP differences between early 2.0 and late 2.0 exhaust/exchangers?
Dave_Darling
Yeah, about 7 HP. The 73-74 2.0 was rated at 95 HP DIN, while the 75-76 was rated at 88 HP DIN.

--DD
gothspeed
7-ish HP is significant. Did later 75-76 models have catalytic converters? I am thinking they no longer ran the 'hot dog' muffler as early models?
Dave_Darling
Some of the 75-76 cars had cats; most did not. I think it was CA and MA only that had them. Most states used a bypass pipe in place of the cat, but the muffler was still the two-piece thing.

See post #7 in this thread for a photo of the stock 75-76 muffler--in that case, with a cat.

--DD
gothspeed
Thanks for the response. That later muffler doesn't look very good. I wonder what percentage of the 7hp loss was the new muffler vs the new manifolds?
jcd914
Most of it is the header pipes and single pipe heat exchangers. They are not designed for flow, just a way to route exhaust from 2 cylinders in to one pipe in the heat exchanger.
I have installed aftermarket mufflers (bursh) on 75/76 cars and it makes very little difference.
Backdating to a 73/74 style 2.0 exhaust does make a difference.

Jim
mtndawg
Is the shape of the pipe the same where it goes into the head? ... or are some oval and others round?
Dave_Darling
They're all oval. They sometimes get called "round" because there are later Buses with ports that are pretty rectangular shaped. Those get called "square port" heads.

But all of the 914 exhaust ports are the same basic shape. You can fit any-year 914 exhaust onto any-year 914 head.

--DD
gothspeed
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 16 2018, 10:02 PM) *

Most of it is the header pipes and single pipe heat exchangers. They are not designed for flow, just a way to route exhaust from 2 cylinders in to one pipe in the heat exchanger.
I have installed aftermarket mufflers (bursh) on 75/76 cars and it makes very little difference.
Backdating to a 73/74 style 2.0 exhaust does make a difference.

Jim

That makes sense, thank you for the comparison information smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.