Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you refresh old but good rubber seals?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
neo914-6
I have some that I replaced ~10-15 years ago and are still in very good condition. I just want them to look "new" and be more pliable if possible.

Johny Blackstain
Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter. You will be shocked blink.gif . Wash first w/ warm soapy water, rinse & dry, & use it like a wax & wipe, do not rinse it off. Be careful not to make crumbs & dispose of all trash elsewhere... attracts bugs dry.gif .

cool_shades.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 2 2007, 12:12 PM) *

Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter. You will be shocked blink.gif . Wash first w/ warm soapy water, rinse & dry, & use it like a wax & wipe, do not rinse it off. Be careful not to make crumbs & dispose of all trash elsewhere... attracts bugs dry.gif .

cool_shades.gif

Won't the car have a peanut smell? I'll give it a shot, thanks
Eric_Shea
PB Blaster...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 2 2007, 01:12 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

Al, you forgot the grape jelly! Jeez!

Know what - this is, without a doubt, the wierdest concotion I've heard of. If it reallly works, more power to you. if not, you can always eat it!
Pat
Johny Blackstain
It works. I makes rubber quite young again, (something about the protein in peanut oil reacting w/ rubber). It will take that white wax from overwaxing the car right off. Peanut butter smells better than a musty old car & no, Knikki does not smell of peanut butter... repaint & all new rubber 4 years ago biggrin.gif . Been garaged ever since & I have not waxed her yet... what for? DO NOT USE CHUNKY! It scratches. If it smells like peanuts afterward you might wipe it off w/ something very mild like windex. I know this sounds wacky but it works. All you old Army guys remember spit shining your boots? Who would have thought spit would be so good for that? Makes me wonder things, like if poison ivy is the worlds' best engine oil? Also, it does not have to be Skippy, just creamy. If I buy peanut butter the car ain't gettin it all, I want some & I want my brand laugh.gif ! Death to Jif av-943.gif !

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
"All you old Army guys remember spit shining your boots? Who would have thought spit would be so good for that?"

Al, I'm an old Army guy, but don't get it!!?? Never used anything but spit or icewater & cotton balls to "spitshine" my boots. Actually, spit wasn't that great - too warm & the wax wouldn't set properly. Had a set of boots that a CO said looked like they were shined with peanut butter, but never understood that.

So, you think that "creamy" is the contemporary answer to Harmorall? Good to know, but I'll stick with glycerin - doesn't leave me looking for potato chips! And, I need to watch my girlish figure!

Pat
Eric_Shea
Why not just peanut oil... that's obviously the active ingredient? confused24.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 5 2007, 11:14 PM) *

Why not just peanut oil... that's obviously the active ingredient? confused24.gif

Maybe off of the car but it's too messy to use on the car. The paste properties of the PB keep it nice & manageable. I would also think their might be a rubbing compound quality to the paste to help w/ abrasion. It really works well.

cool_shades.gif
IronHillRestorations
I'd be worried that the solvents in the PB might bite into the rubber.
JeffBowlsby
How using about the old reliable potion...glycerin?
jonferns
i bought a bar of glycerin soap, would that work as well? -JON thanks
orthobiz
IIRC, Pat reported that some of the rubber seals in his car had deteriorated despite his treating them over the years.

Hate to put it this way, but maybe use something Pat DIDN'T use?

And as weird as peanut butter sounds, for some reason I like that recurrent post more than the drill-the-holes-for-the-rear-foglight theme! hahahaha

Paul
rhodyguy
you will find glycerin at rite aid, wallgreen's, etc. it comes in a small bottle. it really helps for lubricating new seals at install too. magic when you load the chanel and the slide in portion of the side window squeegee. a little goes along way.

k
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 7 2007, 04:34 PM) *

IIRC, Pat reported that some of the rubber seals in his car had deteriorated despite his treating them over the years.

Hate to put it this way, but maybe use something Pat DIDN'T use?

And as weird as peanut butter sounds, for some reason I like that recurrent post more than the drill-the-holes-for-the-rear-foglight theme! hahahaha

Paul

Biz,

Don't remember saying anything about seals deteriorating on my car. All but 2 of them are original.

I have had untreated fuel lines (new & unistalled) deteriorate, but that's it. All of the rubber seals I have stored (many since the early 80's) have either the original waxy stuff on them or were treated with glycerin & stored in tight plastic & kept in dark places.

Have a couple of pieces that were not cared for & deteriorated. When I say they were not cared for, I mean that they were treated with ArmorAll in the mid 70's & left for spares unwrapped & just laying around the garage.

I'm a believer in glycerin (though in minute quantities). I rub it in (with "sponges"), let it sit for a week or so, and wipe off any excess.

Don't know what mystical properties glycerin has, but I remember that my grandmother (and I'm going back 40 years here) used to rub glycerin into her hands every night before she went bed, and the put on cotton gloves to sleep in. When she died at 97, she had hands that looked like those of a forty year old!
Pat
orthobiz
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 7 2007, 11:31 PM) *

Biz,

Don't remember saying anything about seals deteriorating on my car. All but 2 of them are original.

I gotta get a life. Way too much time on this site: I must be seein' things!

bizzzo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.