Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Involuntary heat-cycling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
mskala
Hey, like some of us, my spare is original (tubed 165) and doesn't hold air anyway, so I leave it at home and put on of my V710's in the rear trunk in case I need a spare.

I drive my car to work in the summer often, and that tire gets pretty warm in the trunk while out in the sun. It even smells like rubber when I open.

So, am I accidentally putting heat cycles on this tire and will it harden earlier than otherwise? Seeking wisdom of the tire gods. pray.gif

Borderline
Not to mention the heat from the engine and exhaust. I wouldn't put any tiars that I cared about back there. There was a thread a while back about the proper care of tires. Storing them in a cool dry place in plastic bags. smile.gif
Joe Ricard
If you have SSI's and a Burschh or some sort of Exhaust you will certainly get the trunk over 140-150 degrees

Sitting in the trunk in the sun is also going to be pulling the "good" out of the rubber. Just buy a new tire for a spare. 35 bucks for a cheapy tire that hopefully you will never use.

My rear trunk is not as hot as it used to be now that I have a Tangerine and I only can carry one 11" slick in each trunk and 2 on the passenger seat.
mskala
Thanks, will remedy this before the tire gets old. (new this season).

I can put it in the front trunk or I have to find a wheel+tire. Dang 924S extra junk wheels won't fit, need longer studs+spacers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.