Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hi_Fi_Guy
Here is the deal. After 3 years my 1974 914 is finally entering the re-assembly stage. The car was supposed to be completed and on the road July 2003 but when the craftsmen at Patrick Motorsport started digging in the "nearly rust free" chassis they found rust, rust, and more rust in all the bad places.

So, the chassis was completed stripped to bare metal and teh cancer removed and repaired. The paint work is now complete and it is time to start putting things together. Problem is the budget has spiraled out of control on this car. The carrera suspension/5-lug conversion parts are in at Patrick and ready to go on the car. I need suggestions for front roll bar, springs, shocks, etc. They build a lot of track cars and I am afraid the suspension components they would normally use would be overkill and way out of the budget.

The car will be primarily a street car with the occasional auto-cross, road trip, or historic rally (touring class no roll cage, etc.). I use the Boxster for really hardcore driving so I don't want the 914 set-up like a track car. The car has a RAT 2270 and a rebuilt gearbox without LSD.

Any and all input appreciated.
ChrisReale
Budget? WTF is that? Koni/Bilsteins, 21mm T-Bars 150# springs, bushings and a Tarett sway bar
seanery
what Chris said is good, but I've got 125's on Koni Yellows with the adjustable perches. I like the feel for a road car. It's "comfy" smile.gif
ChrisReale
Sean, do you still have stock T-Bars?
seanery
yes.
ChrisReale
I see.... I guess it depends on what you want to replace or upgrade.
seanery
and how the car is to be used. The blue car is totally different.
I haven't done the front yet but the back is Koni yellows with 250's on the adjustable perches.
Gotta figure out what I want on the front and do that. I'm hoping to pick it up in LA and drive it to the WCC in June.
ChrisReale
250 in the rear might require 23mm bars... confused24.gif

My understanding is to either make the front and rear spring rate as close as possible, and have a front sway bar set a bit more than all soft. Or, have a spring rate in the rear a bit more than the front t-bars and control the oversteer with the front bar. Not sure which is the way to go
seanery
I've got some time. I'm figuring on a tarret bar in the front and a small factory bar on the rear (just in case). the car doesn't have a LSD.
Spring rates are kinda up in the air right now.
Brad Roberts
Dont listen to Chris laugh.gif I looked under his car today and the drivers side drop link didnt have the jam nuts tight (DOH!!)

Seans combo on his street car is VERY nice. The 125's are perfect for a daily driver mixed in with some spirited driving.

I would 100% use the Tarret front bar on a street car.

I personally feel the bilsteins are a little too aggressive for the street. The bump is a little too stiff for my liking (I"m getting old)

B
Hi_Fi_Guy
Thanks for the advice so far. The shop was suggesting 180lb. springs but it sounds like everyone here prefers 125-150.

As far as the budget goes I am not trying to be cheap I am just running out of $$$. I can upgrade some of the suspension components later as I find out what I like and what I want to change. Right now I need to get this car out of the shop and on the road before my banker sends a hit man after me. ar15.gif
Brad Roberts
180's are a typical suggestions of any "914 race shop". I even think the 150's are too much for what you want to do. There is NO reason to have a 914 that you want to drive so stiffly sprung (180's) it gets old driving our streets with 180's. It beats you to death.

B
Hi_Fi_Guy
Thanks Brad.. I really appreciate the follow up.

I have to keep reminding everyone involved that this is a street car. A sleeper if you will. Very stock looking with a RAT 2270 and some fiberglass replacement therapy.

I don't think I need the 180 springs, rear adjustable coil overs, hollow sway bars, etc., etc. Shure it sounds cool but I want to be able to enjoy the car and I don't want to drop $5k on springs, shocks, & a sway bar blink.gif

Thanks again,
Brad Roberts
Umm.. what we didnt say:

You will have to buy the threaded collars for the rear to run a 125 rate spring. The closest you can get to 125 is a 140 from Weltmeister that fits the stock shock perches. The 125's are a smaller diameter spring which requires the smaller perch (100$ or so for the springs and another 100$ or so for the adjustable perches.)

Good luck. Get that car out of the shop and enjoy it. clap56.gif

B
Scott Carlberg
"The car has a RAT 2270"

I get the '2270' is a dimension thing, like 270(something) over a 2.0, but....

what does RAT stand for?
ChrisReale
Raby Aircooled Technology. A Jake Raby engine MDB2.gif
seanery
Its Raby Aircooled Technology or something like that.
Its one of Jake's motors.
maf914
Are adjustable spring perches and springs available for Koni Reds? If so, could someone recommend a source? Thanks.

Mike
boxstr
Try Paragon Products. http://www. paragon-products.com
CCLINCAMP914
Jake Raby
So what happened to the Targa Newfoundland idea for the car???

I have a great set of used 140# sprngs from Weltmeister if you need some.. I'm getting 180-200s from Brad with my new set up for my 73...

when you have damn near 190 ponies you need to be able to keep that sucker on the track...LOL

That engine has been sitting for over 2 years... I hope someone has been keeping it warm and turning it over 2-3 times a month........Don't be suprised if the carbs need to come apart and be cleaned out from sitting so long when you get it fired up... There is nothing worse than something just sitting..a few months is no big deal but over a year gets scary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.