Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What now: engine adjustments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Ok, it starts, but as soon as I give it any pedal it dies. It stopped smoking confused24.gif

I push the air plate up a little (richer) and it bogs and dies, I pull the plate ever so lightly (leaner) and it runs rough and pretty much dies. Timing seems happier when 5* advanced (limit of current dizzy position).

When I had it warmed up it would respond to throttle and back fire through the intake.

Any ideas on what causes these particular problems? Suggestions?
McMark
Have you set the timing accurately? happy11.gif
Dr Evil
Wazzat? finger.gif wink.gif

Who knows rolleyes.gif
McMark
Do you have an adjustable timing light? Did you mark TDC on your flywheel? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Yes I have an adjustable timing light, I think TDC is marked on the flywheel, why?
Dr Evil
Wow, things have been slow. Mark is the only one gonna show me any love? (and he is half assing it - all questions, no answers dry.gif wink.gif )
tdgray
Doc... no I think Mark is trying to tell you something.

Timing sounds far off... backfiring through the intake = timing off or at least start there.
McMark
agree.gif

Set you timing correctly is step #1. There is an idle and a full advance setting. Set it at idle to get it close, and then rev to 6000 to set it more accurately. You're probably going to have to rev it up & check it, then let it back down and make an adjustment, then repeat.

Good Luck! Nothing else matters until the timing is set correctly.
Dr Evil
According to my light, I had it on TDC at idle.....but I have been stretched thin with school and projects (R90, 914, MBZ, CA77, etc) and could be off (like last time). Dont be so damn cryptic you friggen hamburgler! wink.gif I am not good with subtlety in prose bootyshake.gif
toon1
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 2 2007, 11:36 PM) *

According to my light, I had it on TDC at idle.....but I have been stretched thin with school and projects (R90, 914, MBZ, CA77, etc) and could be off (like last time). Dont be so damn cryptic you friggen hamburgler! wink.gif I am not good with subtlety in prose bootyshake.gif

I can't see where mark is being cryptic smile.gif

Sounds like the timing is way off! iIf you checked it and it's at 0* then your prvious post saying it liked 5* BTC would be correct.

No motor likes 0* timing.

Not sure what motor you are runnung but the TIV is about 8* at idle and around 27* at 3500 with the vac. pot disconnected.

Advance the timing and see how it runs. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I was calling him cryptic (playfully so) because he didnt tell me what to do with the light (a joke, ya dig?)

I am timing a 2.7 with SC cams, according to this 5*atdc is where it is at.
Dr Evil
But according to this page TDC might be where it should be:Click to view attachment

But according to this one, within 100rpm it should move at least 8.5* total confused24.gif and that is if it were to be timed as the majority of them (not a 2.7) which it is seeming it is to be.Click to view attachment
jimkelly
6,000 - no shit - i was wondering why this crazy SOB was reving the hell out his engine to check timing : )

http://www.michael-kost.de/motorlaauf.wmv
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...47768&st=80

jim

--

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 2 2007, 12:16 PM) *

agree.gif

Set you timing correctly is step #1. There is an idle and a full advance setting. Set it at idle to get it close, and then rev to 6000 to set it more accurately. You're probably going to have to rev it up & check it, then let it back down and make an adjustment, then repeat.

Good Luck! Nothing else matters until the timing is set correctly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.