Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to figure shims 4 compression ratio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
i'll be putting together a 2056 soon. with jakes 9050 cam can i run d-jet and 9.0:1 on pump gas with no problem?

can i be pointed to a thread on this set up proceedure? smile.gif
ConeDodger
Mike,
That information is on Jake's site under articles or tech articles... Deck height measurement should be the name of it.

sean_v8_914
first ya gota CC your heads
here's teh tuna can compression calculator
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/engine-calc.xls
Joe Ricard
Do the calculations and then order the shims you need.
http://users.erols.com/srweiss/calccr.htm
blitZ
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 2 2007, 02:26 AM) *

i'll be putting together a 2056 soon. with jakes 9050 cam can i run d-jet and 9.0:1 on pump gas with no problem?

I have the same setup with the 9550 cam, assume that's the one you meant. It runs fine with 9:1 compression. I use 93 octane at Len's suggestion, he refurbished my heads.
Joe Ricard
Well, great. Wonder how my motor will run with 10.4:1 compression on pump gas.

Big cam with lots of overlap and carbs should make it possible.

Anyway let us know what kind of deck hieght you obtain. Make sure they are all even (better than .005)
ptravnic

This is a good example of why it is very important to take your time (which will be frustrating). Need the heads cc'd and deck height measured to determine which shims are needed to get the CR you desire.

After this is sorted and the right shiims are in and the heads are torqued down, it'll be time to start learning about rocker arm geometry. 911 swivel feet adjusters, adjustable push rod, cut to fit push rod's...

At first you (as I did) probably thought that once the parts arrive it's time to put it all together - maybe even in a day or a weekend BUT rarely does it happen that way.

Enjoy the process!
Joe Ricard
That's why I decided to not take my car down till after Houston tour.
Now I have all summer to fiddle with my engine and car.
Too freaking hot to race in the Summer. However I do get to race the broom every once inawhile.
Brando
55ccs on my 2.0 heads, case-to-cylinder mating surface just machined smooth, no shims my deck height came out to 0.03". Perfect for ~9.5:1 compression. Using 96mm P&Cs and Jake's 9550 cam. Also find out how many CCs if you've got domed or dished pistons.
Joe Ricard
So Brando you were able to get exactly .030 on all 4 cylinders?
Damn that's good. I was the same on each side, but varied .002 left side to right side.
Brando
I was amazed when I checked... I guess I got lucky for a Rimco rebuild LOL.
Joe Ricard
I suppose if you had the case decked you may very well came out with good numbers.

I had to swap rods and pistons and cylinders a few times to get mine.

Nothin in mine is stock anymore.
Ok the valve cover bails are stock. and the push rod tubes which will have to be shimmed.
orange914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 1 2007, 11:56 PM) *

Mike,
That information is on Jake's site under articles or tech articles... Deck height measurement should be the name of it.

just recently turned to that site, good stuff, thanks
orange914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jul 2 2007, 01:14 AM) *

first ya gota CC your heads
here's teh tuna can compression calculator
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/engine-calc.xls

these are 039 heads len did for a motor jake but didnt build. i'm sure he knows the cc, i'll be asking him as soon as i can get hold of him.

thanks for the link
orange914
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jul 2 2007, 05:21 AM) *

I have the same setup with the 9550 cam, assume that's the one you meant. It runs fine with 9:1 compression. I use 93 octane at Len's suggestion, he refurbished my heads.

are you running d-jet? any problems?
orange914
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jul 2 2007, 09:55 AM) *

This is a good example of why it is very important to take your time (which will be frustrating). Need the heads cc'd and deck height measured to determine which shims are needed to get the CR you desire.

Enjoy the process!

thanks, i wont rush the build. just learning alot and trying to acumulate the right parts. lots to do

you now, hurry up -n- wait
orange914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 2 2007, 11:16 AM) *

That's why I decided to not take my car down till after Houston tour.
Now I have all summer to fiddle with my engine and car.
Too freaking hot to race in the Summer. However I do get to race the broom every once inawhile.

the 914 unfortunately dropped a valve at the worse timing. kenny's high school is having a big fund raiser car show on sept. 22nd AND my wife and i are a big part of pta making it happen icon8.gif stromberg.gif popcorn[1].gif
orange914
QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 2 2007, 01:43 PM) *

55ccs on my 2.0 heads, case-to-cylinder mating surface just machined smooth, no shims my deck height came out to 0.03". Perfect for ~9.5:1 compression. Using 96mm P&Cs and Jake's 9550 cam. Also find out how many CCs if you've got domed or dished pistons.

same exact 2056 for me. i have flat top. are yours...? how does it run on i'm assuming 93 octane? carb.s?
blitZ
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 3 2007, 02:24 AM) *

Yes, running the original d-jet with no problems. You may need to tweak your MPS. I installed a CHT gauge, the heads stay fairly cool.
ptravnic
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jul 3 2007, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 3 2007, 02:24 AM) *

Yes, running the original d-jet with no problems. You may need to tweak your MPS. I installed a CHT gauge, the heads stay fairly cool.

Original Djet based off the 1.7L stock system or 2.0L stock system? Coupla differences between the two (ie injectors).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.