Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Been working on my 1974 Super bug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
teen914
this whole week i have been working on my bug. i first had to remove the engine and transmission. then i pulled most everything off the stock 1600 and put it on my new 1776. yesterday my dad an i started it up outside of the car for the first time. it sounded good, so my dad was going to have me break the cam in by running it for about 20 minutes with it over 2500rpm. after about 5 minutes he came back to check on me and i had a puddle of oil below the engine. we turned it off and it kept coming. it was like a river. today we pulled off the transmission, pressure plate, clutch and flywheel. it turns out that the man we bought the car and engine from, never put a main seal in it. how can you forget to put a main seal in and torque the flywheel to 250ft-lbs?!?!
McMark
av-943.gif

That sucks, but at least 1.) you caught it now and 2.) it's an 'easy' fix.

Of course, now the question is... pinch.gif what else did he forget? unsure.gif

hide.gif
rhodyguy
good on ya jerry. what did you wind up using for carburation? the po prob forgot the seal along with all the other fasteners that he forgot tighten. your dad told me about all the 'finds' after the car came to you.

k
DNHunt
Here's the funny part. I was going to show him how to buy a car. Truth is I showed him what not to buy. Unfortunately, my names on the title.

Dave
rhodyguy
what about the carburation? did you order the DTM for the hoppedup t-4 yet? smile.gif

k
Gint
What? confused24.gif No pics? cool.gif
Root_Werks
Bugs are cool, I am finishing up my 74 Std bug. It's turning out nice. The 1835 is "on it's way" I have been told.

Got any pics of your bug?
rhodyguy
nice beetle dan. looks like the garage is full. time to expand? chair.gif

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.