Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black bumpers? Gloss vs. satin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bogaat
I have my bumpers and tin at the powder coaters. Obviously, gloss is going on the tin. I am also doing my gas tank. I can either go gloss or satin on the bumpers/engine grills. What do you guys think?
confused24.gif
nomore9one4
I will say Satin,but thats just me.
xperu
I am planning to have my bumpers powder coated, but I have some dings filled with Bondo, do you know if the Bondo affects the power coat due to the temperature in the process.
Bogaat
QUOTE(xperu @ Jul 2 2007, 01:00 PM) *

I am planning to have my bumpers powder coated, but I have some dings filled with Bondo, do you know if the Bondo affects the power coat due to the temperature in the process.

Not sure as mine are in great shape. They typically need to have everything completely stripped off: old paint, etc before they powder. All of my stuff is being blasted. Bondo wouldn't do so well. I would ask the coater. He may have a special filler to use.
Bogaat
QUOTE(faux916 @ Jul 2 2007, 12:30 PM) *

I will say Satin,but thats just me.

I am leaning towards satin, but gloss is so....shiny drooley.gif
AZ914
my .02 = satin
MrKona
QUOTE(xperu @ Jul 2 2007, 10:00 AM) *

I had my rocker panels powder coated (satin, by the way). I asked the guy who did the powder coating about bondo and powder coating. He said there couldn't be any Bondo. He suggested that I take my bumpers to a pro and have them smoothed out by applying metal.
blitZ
I painted mine flat black.

PeeGreen 914
Satin looks so much better on bumpers. One of the only things that you want to keep rather dull.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jul 2 2007, 10:23 AM) *

I painted mine flat black.

agree.gif
Bogaat
So what about the engine grills. Satin too? Thanks for all of the feedback.
G e o r g e
I had mine done gloss, along with rockers and valences IMHO they look pretty good shiny biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
If it's going to be shiney then go with a chrome one. I like nice chrome bumpers.

As far as painted, my vote is for a satin finish. That's what I've used on all the cars I've done. I used the same paint for valances and the engine grills, the top, and the painted bumpers.

It's whatever makes you happy though.

To me the flat black just looks like it needs to be painted or either re-painted.
Root_Werks
All exterior black trim should be satin. My 2cents.
type47fan
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 2 2007, 04:27 PM) *

If it's going to be shiney then go with a chrome one. I like nice chrome bumpers.

As far as painted, my vote is for a satin finish. That's what I've used on all the cars I've done. I used the same paint for valances and the engine grills, the top, and the painted bumpers.

It's whatever makes you happy though.

To me the flat black just looks like it needs to be painted or either re-painted.

agree.gif Flat black always looks like a primer coating to me.
computers4kids
I vote for satin all the way around piratenanner.gif
PeeGreen 914
Is that where the bumperettes are supposed to go? Mine are more toward the middle. Soon to be gone biggrin.gif
AZ914
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jul 3 2007, 01:07 AM) *

Is that where the bumperettes are supposed to go? Mine are more toward the middle. Soon to be gone biggrin.gif

Yes, that is the proper position for the bumperettes on a 74 rear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.