Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Guys I need Help With GM Alternator Wiring Into 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbledsoe
Last year I swapped a Buick V6 into my 914. For the time being I got away using the original 914 Bosch alternator. Now that I found a high quality mount for a GM alternator (Thanks Paul!) I am replacing the original Bosch alternator since I know it won't last with out cooling air to it.

I did a search here and found Scott's (Skline) illustration/schematic how to wire it. I read and reread the Haynes manual wiring diagram and as best I can tell there should be a blue wire coming off the alternator warning light and it appears that the blue wire terminates at the relay box pin number 2 which connects to the D+ plug-in of the original voltage regulator. With the GM alternator the original voltage regulated isn't needed. Can anyone confirm that it is the blue wire that goes to the alternator warning light and terminates at the D+ plug? I need to know if that's where I should connect the other wire of the GM alternator to so my alternator warning light will continue to function. confused24.gif
dbledsoe
Bumped because I NEED HELP! Help!
skline
Actually Don, I usually disconnect the factory Alt light and just run a gauge. I guess you could just try it to the blue wire and see if it works, worst case, you burn the light out and then just install a gauge.
dbledsoe
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 2 2007, 08:58 PM) *

Actually Don, I usually disconnect the factory Alt light and just run a gauge. I guess you could just try it to the blue wire and see if it works, worst case, you burn the light out and then just install a gauge.

Scott,

I guess what I need to know is, disregarding the other wire coming off alternator (brown wire in my case), if I connect the red terminal from the two plug in wires to the BAT terminal to excite the field, shouldn't the alternator charge? And that should be something I can check via a voltmeter i.e., 12.2 volts at the battery with the engine off and something like 13.2 volts at the battery with the engine running? I tried it that way and can only get lower voltage at the battery (12.08), which tells me I don't have something connected correctly. As I understand, when the alternator is charging I should be seeing greater than 12 volts at the battery, regardless whether the alternator light hooked up, or not?

Thank you for your help.

Don
GWN7
As Scott said go with the gauge.....it will show you if you have a problem a lot faster than the light. I have a alt & a temp, two gauge pkg. mounted to the lower dash.
drive-ability
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/images/Alt...to1985Buick.jpg

Maybe this will help
dbledsoe
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jul 3 2007, 12:05 AM) *

I tried that but my alternator is the later CS type with four pins none of which are marked 1 or 2. But I am getting some leads (no pun intended) via internet search.

Thank you to each of you who replied.

Don
GTeener
happy11.gif
rick 918-S
I'm not home so I can't check my car or my wiring diagram. IICR it's the blue wire. I have a volt meter and the light. They both work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.