the holidays. Seems the gas tank is approx 1/3 full of
vintage 1986 89 octane. cool_shades.gif

I want to drain & remove the tank BEFORE it goes in the
garage. What is the best way to drain the tank. Also what
do you do with the old gas. I live in the city limits so no
dumping or buring it off. Thanks,

Garold
ChrisReale
If you take the belly pan off, you cabn access the fuel lines right below the tank. Cut them or drain it there.
seanery
drill bit, kitchen towel and a bic lighter!
Joe Bob
Ummmm, pull it out to the curb and drop a match???? blink.gif

Arrrrrrarrararararr, OK........siphon or suck as much out with a marine bilge type pump.....unbolt it and don't smoke.
GWN7
First, park it in your MIL's garage....oh wait, that was another thread. laugh.gif

You can cut the fuel lines under the car (thru access panel) and drain it into oil pans. I say pans because 1/3 tank is about 4 gals so make sure you have enough pans to hold a lot of gas. Then drain the pans into a 5 gal gas can. If your fast you can drain one while the other pan fills. Take the old gas to a recycling center or hazardous material dump. If you don't have one near you, pour it into a neibours gas tank you don't like. cool.gif
SirAndy
take a good battery, jump the fuel-pump and pump it out.

then, drive up into the snow, get a big barrel and light it up while you're snowboarding at night smile.gif

Andy
FRUNKenstein
Sorry to resurrect an 18 year old thread, but want to add something. I am draining my tank (it has new gas, btw). There are 3 hoses connected to the fuel pump. I first tried to drain from the one that appeared to be directly connected to the tank, but the gas drained very slowly. The hose that is connected to the pump next to the pump wires had good flow, however. So, if you don’t want to cut the fuel lines, drain the tank using the one next to the wires.

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Jul 3 2022, 11:45 AM) *

Sorry to resurrect an 18 year old thread, but want to add something. I am draining my tank (it has new gas, btw). There are 3 hoses connected to the fuel pump. I first tried to drain from the one that appeared to be directly connected to the tank, but the gas drained very slowly. The hose that is connected to the pump next to the pump wires had good flow, however. So, if you don’t want to cut the fuel lines, drain the tank using the one next to the wires.

Click to view attachment

Make sure the gas cap is open.
rhodyguy
A facet fuel pump, a battery, a couple of pieces of wire, 2 long pieces of fuel line and a large fuel can to catch the gas. Stick the sucker line down the fill neck to the bottom. A fuel filter on the can line doesn't hurt. There will be a small amount of fuel left behind. Cut the supply/return lines from the tank spigots and drain to a catch basin. This way, there's little or no chance of taking a gas shower. I hate gas showers. Then pull the tank and deal with issues if needed. You can see the bottom of the tank with a flashlight when it's emptied.
Root_Werks
Had to do this recently as my supply line began to fold over time = very hard working fuel pump.

I did the hose, suck with mouth into cans as much as I could. Then removed kinked supply line from underneath and let the rest dribble out.

Pretty easy, just stinky.

wink.gif
Shivers
I use old fuel for solvent. But I have had friends that ran it through their lawnmowers.
930cabman
Get a hand squeeze pump from FLAPS. Quick simple safe easy cheap. Just used this method on a parts car a few months ago, worked perfect
bdstone914
Harbor Freight has a nattery operated pump for under $10 that works well. Pull the filler neck and insert it in the tank with a transfer can in the teunk in front of it. Safer and less messy. They are also handy for home use like draining a plugged sink.
914e
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 3 2022, 08:38 PM) *

Harbor Freight has a nattery operated pump for under $10 that works well. Pull the filler neck and insert it in the tank with a transfer can in the teunk in front of it. Safer and less messy. They are also handy for home use like draining a plugged sink.

I second, the Harbor Freight pump. We just had to drain the tank of my son's 280z. With nasty 22 year old gas. I had to buy empty gas cans anyway. We still need to get rid of gas.
Pezz
The Forest Service uses old gas and diesel in their drip torches for back burns. My FS buddies here like old gas to make the mix with kerosene burn a little hotter.
Jamie
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Dec 13 2003, 07:22 PM) *

Hi all,

Getting ready to move the 71 parts car in the garage after
the holidays. Seems the gas tank is approx 1/3 full of
vintage 1986 89 octane. cool_shades.gif

I want to drain & remove the tank BEFORE it goes in the
garage. What is the best way to drain the tank. Also what
do you do with the old gas. I live in the city limits so no
dumping or buring it off. Thanks,

Garold

Collecting and RESPONSIBLY disposing of old tank gas is the worst part of the process! wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.