Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Any 74-77 911 2.7 owners here I have a ethics ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Well long story. I bought a complete and original 66 912 that is in very rough shape. I was going to part it, but my wife convinced to try and sell it complete (for those following along here is the EBAY link smile.gif ).

The past owner of the 912 told me that he knows of another one in a local small repair shop in town. He gave my contact info to the shop owner and he called me today. I went to check it out and well...... its a 1974 911 2.7 coupe. Yes it has rust issues also, but the engine runs, badly yet it does run. I feel that it is fuel injection problem based on what he told me. So..... he doesn't own it, the onwer brought it to his shop 1 1/2 years ago after being stored for 13yrs and asked to get it runnig again. Well the owner passed away over the winter and there it sits. The garage owner gave me the name to contact of the family.

So, how would you go about asking the family about the car and if they would consider selling it? Also any idea of value of said car. It is complete minus the tool kit, odometer reads 23K which I assume is 123K, has rust by windshield cowl area and typical jack posts. I know there are issues with 2.7 engines, but this might be a good chance for a /6 engine for my 914. Sorry, no pictures, but maybe soon biggrin.gif
John
If I was interested, I would call the contact provided bu the shop and tell them that you are interested in purchasing said vehicle, and ask them if they would be interested in selling it.

Let them know that you know it has issues and you would be interested in purchasing it as-is.

How much would you owe the shop? My guess is that a non runner 74 911 with rust issues would be worth no more than 2500 tops, but that is just me.

A 1974 911 has front struts/brakes, rear hubs, rear brakes, axle shafts, 915 gearbox, 915 shifter, 5-lug wheels, and of course the engine for donor parts.

Good luck with it.

GaroldShaffer
The shop wants nothing, he just wants it gone. Nice guy, you should have seen the old bugatti and the 2 Ferrari's 308 and a ???? nice cars. I think I have a new place to visit every month or so biggrin.gif
jasons
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 2 2007, 08:00 PM) *

I know there are issues with 2.7 engines, but this might be a good chance for a /6 engine for my 914.

FWIW, I think the 74 2.7's are the better of the bunch. They didn't have the thermal reactors yet.

degreeoff
and if the body is not too bad I might be willing to buy the roller if you are just out for an engine...I'd love a coupe! I have a 2.4 with 2.2"s" pistons and S cams just itching for a home!
effutuo101
I would call them and let them know that you would like to buy the car.
newto914s
Make the call, I'm sure they forgot about the car. So to them the extra $2k would be found money. If you don't get it PM me, I'd be interested.
Samson
GaroldShaffer
I called the family contact. He is sure the family doesn't want it and he will talk to them this week and see what they want to do. We went over the condition of the car and he agreed that it is a parts car (now he said that, not me). So hopefully by this weekend I will know more.

Dr Evil
74 2.7 is a good engine. Just check the head studs. You can even have the alusil cylinders reconditioned so you dont need to buy new ones or used nickasil. I have the 74 2.7 in my car and it has far less problems than the newer ones. The 915 in the 74 has a short geared stack, IIRC. Good if you want to AX.
Dr Evil
Oh ya, CIS is not too hard to work with if you keep it. I have lots of info on my conversion if you need it.
bd1308
where do you FIND these???

a /6 would go nicely in my 914 cool_shades.gif
GeorgeRud
My conversion pretty much came about the same way, a 75 911 targa that was no longer a viable car due to rust, but a good engine, transmission, shift tower, front suspension, etc. You'll get more usable parts than you think, and I also have found that the 2.7 can be a great little engine. It's not as strong as a 3.0, but for the right price don't ever discount it.

If you have any questions on the conversion, let me know and I'll try to help you through it.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jul 3 2007, 01:23 PM) *

where do you FIND these???

a /6 would go nicely in my 914 cool_shades.gif

I belong to a few different car clubs, 914, PCA, SCCA plus I go to some of the local Wednesday & Friday night "car shows". The main thing is to talk to people. With the SCCA crowd I'm "That 914 guy" that is always looking for parts cars. biggrin.gif

Find some one with a older VW and I bet that they know of someone with a old Porsche. You just have to ask. chatsmiley.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 3 2007, 06:11 PM) *

My conversion pretty much came about the same way, a 75 911 targa that was no longer a viable car due to rust, but a good engine, transmission, shift tower, front suspension, etc. You'll get more usable parts than you think, and I also have found that the 2.7 can be a great little engine. It's not as strong as a 3.0, but for the right price don't ever discount it.

If you have any questions on the conversion, let me know and I'll try to help you through it.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was thinking. Its not going to happen over night, but you have to start somehwere.
dgw
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 3 2007, 02:11 PM) *

Oh ya, CIS is not too hard to work with if you keep it. I have lots of info on my conversion if you need it.

I'm doing a 2.4 conversion and planing on keeping the CIS. More information is always better. If you have some time to forward any info or links that you have used I would appreciate it.
Dr Evil
Dennis, that is a tall order. I only have one link, the rest is experience gained from surfing the net and talking to people here and abroad.
Here is the master link for CIS stuff for all those interested:
http://members.rennlist.com/jimwms/CIS/CIShome.html
dgw
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 4 2007, 12:20 PM) *

Dennis, that is a tall order. I only have one link, the rest is experience gained from surfing the net and talking to people here and abroad.
Here is the master link for CIS stuff for all those interested:
http://members.rennlist.com/jimwms/CIS/CIShome.html

OK, thanks for the link, looks like some good info there. Talking to people is not one of my better talents, but surfing the net I can do.
Dr Evil
No worries, just ask direct questions when you get them. Your request was more like asking me to explain every intricacy of the human body rather than asking me why your head hurts wink.gif
dgw
I just mis-interpreted what you meant. No big deal.

As I understand, a lot of folks cut a hole in the rear bulkhead because of the fuel head. I'm not going to cut a hole, I'm thinking banjo fittings or something else should work.

In your exploring, did you come across any alternatives like this?
Eric_Shea
Thermal reactors? In an Indiana car?

2.7 should be fine. Any of those engines you'll have to rebuild. Just rebuild it the right way. Also, knowing that you'll have to rebuild it... buy properly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.