Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking towards the dark side
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gopack
Went and looked at a 1974 911S targa yesterday. The guy has it advertised for $9750 OBO , and I fully expected it to be "rode hard and put away wet". When I saw it I cursed my self cause it looked and drove so good!

opinions? comments? what is it worth?

low miles indicated, but odo doesn't work. recent decent respray over what is reported to be original paint. one wheel looks like a repro. interior decent, better that a 34 year old car should.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

you can see my DD in the back ground of the last pic.

I figured if I can get him down a little, at the very worst, I would have some great parts for my teener!

(And before any of you guys go bashing the 2.7, I know that the 74 has the best chance of all of NOT being over heated. It does have the 11 blade fan upgrade, but no recipts for the chain tensioner or the head studs, and this guy didnt have the history of the car as it kind of fell into his lap last year and he wants it to go to a good home where it will get excersized!
RoninEclipse2G
would look better if it weren't a targa, but that's just my opinion, looks nice from the photos.
gopack
Always loved the targas! even though they are a little homely! i guess liking homely cars led me to the 914 though! My first Porsche was ALMOST a 1968 912 Targa! but he wanted fully restored money for a fair to good car!
BigDBass
Do it! Do it!
Hi Mark! wavey.gif
RoninEclipse2G
ah, I don't like the back glass, if they were normal back glass and quarter windows with a targa that would be Gorgeous
gopack
Hi dan
Wanna go halfsies?
you can have it oct, nov, dec, jan, feb, march and april. 7 months for you. I will take it the remaining 5 months. AND it has a back seat for Maddie! AND if you need it stored, I have acess to a car warehouse here in my town!

Send me a check for $4500, and I will send you better pics!

Thanks Partner!
PeeGreen 914
That is actually a very good price. Those are selling out here for over 15,000 in that shape. Plus, they are becomingmore rare than other years. If only you could find if the through bolts have been updated.
Bartlett 914
Hi Mark

I like the Targa also! But it brings to mind the question of your 914. What is the status of that car? I know you were trying to sell it at one time. Still have it? any progress?
jasons
I think you can start to look at SC Targas in that $10k price range. Targas do tend to be the least valuable. Most people want coupes or verts. I would price that car (based on average 2.7 911 values) in the $7k - $8k ballpark. But if the records, mileage, and condition are good, who knows.

One good thing, I believe the 74's are one of the better of the 2.7's.
STL914
QUOTE(gopack @ Jul 3 2007, 09:19 AM) *

Hi dan
Wanna go halfsies?
you can have it oct, nov, dec, jan, feb, march and april. 7 months for you. I will take it the remaining 5 months. AND it has a back seat for Maddie! AND if you need it stored, I have acess to a car warehouse here in my town!

Send me a check for $4500, and I will send you better pics!

Thanks Partner!

Hey Mark,

From one [former] chesehead to another, if Dan doesn't take you up on the offer, let me know. I'm looking for a fun winter driver down here. Oct thru Dec is definitely Targa weather, not to mention Feb thru April. driving.gif Always did want a Targa.
gopack
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 3 2007, 12:27 PM) *

Hi Mark

I like the Targa also! But it brings to mind the question of your 914. What is the status of that car? I know you were trying to sell it at one time. Still have it? any progress?

Well here is the thing. I don't really have the actual cash or the actual gumption to do too much on the 914, and i think i can FINANCE the 911 , have a fun car, and have less pressure on the 914! I do tend to jump around a lot, and the 914 kind of has me down because it is such a large task!!
Kargeek
Mark,

That looks like a Euro spec car with the narrow rear bumper pads. I would check the Vin Number an get some additional history on the car. I'm not an expert on 911's but If I remember correctly the euro spec cars had a tad more Horsepower and less emission controls.

DH
gopack
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Jul 3 2007, 01:14 PM) *

Mark,

That looks like a Euro spec car with the narrow rear bumper pads. I would check the Vin Number an get some additional history on the car. I'm not an expert on 911's but If I remember correctly the euro spec cars had a tad more Horsepower and less emission controls.

DH

Actually the seller said he thought it might be a euro spec. I tried to do some research and it looked to me that there were no 911E, 911T or 911S in 1974. one site said 911 ONLY. the rear badge does say 911S, but my 1972 teener had a 914 2.0 badge on it and it wasn't a /6! badges are easy to buy!
BigDBass
you can have it oct, nov, dec, jan, feb, march and april. 7 months for you. I will take it the remaining 5 months.

Hmm, OK, but I can't promise the engine will still be in it! biggrin.gif
jasons
QUOTE(gopack @ Jul 3 2007, 11:22 AM) *

Actually the seller said he thought it might be a euro spec. I tried to do some research and it looked to me that there were no 911E, 911T or 911S in 1974. one site said 911 ONLY. the rear badge does say 911S, but my 1972 teener had a 914 2.0 badge on it and it wasn't a /6! badges are easy to buy!

If you can look on the motor, there will be a few numbers stamped. One will be the serial, the other will be a 911/xx number. The 911/xx number will tell you what spec. the motor is exactly.

I think in the USA all 911's between 74 and 77 were badged 911S's.
DNHunt
Does Smokie have the title to it. If so run.

Dave
gopack
wow! wife said " do what you want" I'm cleared for takeoff!
JPB
You want to get a Porsche and wonder about the cost. Think of your 914 spending. Its only money and you can get what you want with a little patience. If you want it, go for it bro. You only live once and can't take it with you. Take good care of it and it will be worth something down the road beer.gif

This is just your first one of many right? poke.gif
DanT
QUOTE(jasons @ Jul 3 2007, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(gopack @ Jul 3 2007, 11:22 AM) *

If you can look on the motor, there will be a few numbers stamped. One will be the serial, the other will be a 911/xx number. The 911/xx number will tell you what spec. the motor is exactly.

I think in the USA all 911's between 74 and 77 were badged 911S's.

for model year 1974 there were normal 911s, 911Ss, and Carreras
911s had ~150hp, 911Ss had ~175hp same for Carreras.
all had CIS injection from factory....at least in the US.

'74 was the best year for the 2.7L due to no thermal reactors which caused most of the motor overheating issues.
roadster fan
Hello,

Looks like a nice car. FWIW latest issue of Excellence lists '74 targas at:

so-so: $10,611
good: $12,064
excellent:$16,150

Bruce Anderson recommends finding an SC for a little more $ unless the owner can document that the repairs have been done to the problematic areas of the 2.7 (valve guides and head studs)

Anyways, hope that helps.

Jim
Lou W
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jul 3 2007, 12:00 PM) *

Does Smokie have the title to it. If so run.

Dave

laugh.gif
sixnotfour

Looks like a nice car. FWIW latest issue of Excellence lists '74 targas at:

so-so: $10,611
good: $12,064
excellent:$16,150

Bruce Anderson recommends finding an SC for a little more $ unless the owner can document that the repairs have been done to the problematic areas of the 2.7 (valve guides and head studs)

Anyways, hope that helps.

Jim

The headstuds will pull, only a matter of time. (Unless they had been casesaved)

pass, wait for a SC , or paint the 914

True story,
I found 85k 74911S,owned by a women, records, good shape needed paint sat for 5 years, fixed brakes and runs great, Sell to a friend 5k miles later he says it has an exhaust leak on accel. Today motor out and 500.00 machine work on case and going back together today. The motor was dry when first bought and ran great. Had Dan Root pull the engine.
Was a great deal deal untill 2 head studs pulled. I sold it for 7200.00
jasons
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 4 2007, 03:49 AM) *

pass, wait for a SC , or paint the 914

Was a great deal deal untill 2 head studs pulled. I sold it for 7200.00

agree.gif

The 74-77 911's are the least desirable until maybe the 964 (if you consider that a 911). At $10k to $15k you can start to look at nice targa SC's. At $14k to $19k, you can start to look at the best ever 911, the 3.2 Carreras.

Checkout completed auctions on ebay, only a few 74-77 911's break the 5 digit mark.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.