Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - for IT guys (spyware)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
have been noticing on the local area connection that the send and receive is polling every few seconds, sending and receiving alot of data.

norton av doesn't find any spyware but i don't remember the send and recieve blinking so much when everything else is idle.
r_towle
spybot search and destroy.
And
AdAware (lavasoft)

Use both.

Rich
VaccaRabite
I use the above 2 programs, and Windows Defender.

Between the three, I have always been able to clean up a machine.

If it is really thick, though.. It will save you time to just reformat and start from scratch. If I come across a badly spywared machine at work, I'll jump right to the reformat. in the end it is faster.

Zach
machina
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 3 2007, 02:55 PM) *

If it is really thick, though.. It will save you time to just reformat and start from scratch. If I come across a badly spywared machine at work, I'll jump right to the reformat. in the end it is faster.

Zach

right zach,

i am on the verge of that and will upgrade from w2k to xp in the process. still wondering if its strange about the continuous send and receive though, does it necessarily mean anything?
r_towle
first, look at the settings on the email client software.

If that is all ok, it could be a remailer trojan that you have.
These tend to send an email (untraceable to a certain extent) back to the host computer with all your cookies, and your history.

Rich
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 3 2007, 12:47 PM) *

And
AdAware (lavasoft)

Use both.

Rich

agree.gif
My firewall is free and is http://www.sunbelt-software.com/
It originally was Kerio but Sunbelt now runs the show...anyway, someone here recommended it and I like it.
computers4kids
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 3 2007, 12:47 PM) *

And
AdAware (lavasoft)

Use both.

Rich

agree.gif

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 3 2007, 12:55 PM) *

agree.gif
Zach

Zach is correct..if you get a machine that is too infested, i.e trojans and bots that replant themselves after a restart, it's easier to just reformat and reinstall. You will loose all your files and installed programs so be sure to backup and make sure you have your program install disks with any keycodes handy.

Mark
Rusty
You mentioned that you're going to go from 2000 to XP...

Might as well back up your critical data, format and load XP fresh. You'll be happier in the long run. Clean installs are always neater than upgrades.
davep
Try Blacklight for finding rootkits:
http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/
Both Adaware and Spybot S&D are falling behind as malware continues to reinvent itself.
hex123
Before you reformat are there other signs other than just the data lights blinking? go into a command prompt and type netstat -A
this will list the ports and the ip address of anyone connected to your machine looking at this carefully you may be able to tell where the data is coming from.
davep
QUOTE(hex123 @ Jul 4 2007, 07:19 PM) *

Before you reformat are there other signs other than just the data lights blinking? go into a command prompt and type netstat -A
this will list the ports and the ip address of anyone connected to your machine looking at this carefully you may be able to tell where the data is coming from.

OH, that was scary. Three Google, and one Theplanet.com on Time Wait. I don't use Google, and don't know the other one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.