Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter bushing options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaybird840
Hi All,
Thanks for pointing me to the pelican tech page on the shifter bushing install. I pulled the rear boot off my '75, and the bushing is completely gone! Just the ball banging around in the sleeve. No wonder first and reverse dissapeared!! Anyway, I'm getting ready to order the bushing kit from pelican and wanted to get your thoughts on the different kits. In theory, I'd like to do the brass shifter coupling bushing--who likes them and how much better are they than the polymerdelrinplasithingys. Also, someone mentioned brass firewall bushings in a post, but I didn't see any on the pelican website. Sources? As always, thanks, and any other shifter related advice (short of "go buy a rennshift") biggrin.gif would be greatly appreciated.

Jaybird
'75 1.8
Chris Pincetich
I used the Pelican kit with like 3 bushings and some dry lube graphite on the install - I love it. Bronze is better, but for many of us overkill. I think GPR might have bronze available for some. Some grease these on install, some say grease just attracts dirt and speeds wear. I found the graphite dusted into the shifter rod hole made the final forward rod adjustment really easy.

I drove my 914 with no firewall bushing for 6 months - something is WAY better than nothing biggrin.gif

Then I did a sideshift conversion, all new bushings, and Rennshift. Go get a Rennshift! happy11.gif
beerchug.gif
john rogers
The best setup is one of James' Rennshift and also his conversion for the rear shift rod. Next would be a Rennshift, a Patrick firewall bushing, aircraft coupler and stock bushings in the rear. Last, just new bushings. I have the second option, but will be using one of the rear kits this summer to go with the Rennshift.
hex123
Here is what i am getting from www.patrickmotorsports.com
IPB Image
IPB Image

and from pelicanparts.com
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.