Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Today my Koni adjustable perch clip came loose in the fast lane
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
SHIT!!!

How should I go about securing these large clips?
McMark
All my friends drive lowriders. av-943.gif
Dr. Roger
so you're saying keep the clip slipped????

=)
neo914-6
find root cause, they shouldn't come loose..

congrats on getting it running! driving.gif
gopack
I'm curious, how much spacing did you have to use to move that wheel out to fill the flare. looks like 2 inches in that picture!
Dr. Roger
Felix, I believe there is some clearance between the aluminum sleeve and the shock body which allowed for the clip to be "pried" out of it's groove.

Does any experienced 914 person see any reason I shouldn't epoxy the clip in place?

These shocks are absolutely great and I can foresee no reason why I would want to remove the clip in the future.

I don't have a pic of the clip but I do have a pic of the aluminum sleeve.

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 4 2007, 10:43 AM) *

Does any experienced 914 person see any reason I shouldn't epoxy the clip in place?

yes. because you shouldn't have to ...

those sleeves look like they're the wrong size for your shocks. they don't seem to fit snug.
the sleeves come in different sizes for different shocks.

here's what i got for my koni shocks. the red sleeves are a nice tight fit on the shock. there is no way that clip could ever expand and jump out of the groove.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif Andy
McMark
Now that you mention it, this seems very familiar. Didn't someone have an issue with slightly too big collars? I could see how collars with some play could easily knock a clip out of place.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 4 2007, 11:34 AM) *

Now that you mention it, this seems very familiar. Didn't someone have an issue with slightly too big collars? I could see how collars with some play could easily knock a clip out of place.

agree.gif wasn't that britain ??? idea.gif

do a search here, this has happened before, and if i recall correctly, the collar was too big for that type of shock.
smash.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
Thank you Andy and Mark.
I've seen Coleman has a large selection of collars in small diameter increments. I'll check them out this week.

"gopack"/Mark,

To answer your question, the rear setup is as follows:
2005 911 twin turbo hollow spoke wheels. 8" up front. 11" at the rear.
Offset for the rear is 45mm.
I have Roger Sheridan wide flares on the rear.
To fill those wheel wells I installed Ernie's Alloys 3.5" spacers.

Perfect fit.
rhodyguy
you have the thread collars installed so the end that has a slight machining on the inside slips over the clip, yes? when i first installed mine i had them upside down so the collar just 'perched' on the perches. mine are like andy's, red collars. does your's have the machining?

k
PRS914-6
Mine have a retaining sleeve that fits tightly over the clip. It also takes up any slop that exists between the shock and the inside of the threaded sleeve. The threaded sleeve then slides over all of it and rests on the step inside. It is very tight and there is no way the clip could come off or move.
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
coleman makes an 'adapter ring', you use it with 2.04" diamter shocks IIRC, and it takes up the difference between the circlip and the collar on bills and koni yellows....

5 bucks each
Dr. Roger
Thanks Paul for the pic!!!
I definitely do not have the correct setup.

I did measure my shocks and they are the 2.04" cylinder diameter.

Now I have one seriously jacked up clip.... barf.gif
The previous owner of the shocks used them this way.

Is there a difference between an adapter ring and the retaining sleeve?
confused24.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 5 2007, 01:24 AM) *

Thanks Paul for the pic!!!

Is there a difference between an adapter ring and the retaining sleeve?
confused24.gif

I suspect it is the same, just called different names. It's easy to determine if you need one. Lift the threaded sleeve up off the clip and try to move it back and forth. If there is any side to side movement, than you need one.
Dr. Roger
Thanks again guys. Looks like more jackstand time. =)

nebreitling
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 4 2007, 12:34 PM) *

it was grant, and it happened at a Marina AX. I fixed it with some bailing wire i found in my truck to get him home. not cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.