Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Selling Software Rant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB 914
RANT ON

Ok this has been bothering me for a long time. Why is it that people expect to get software for free? a "trial version" that they attempt to use forever?

I work for myself and develop medical practice management software. I feel i have a good niche solution. It's not for every doctor, but, it works as advertised, it's affordable and customizable.

If i go to a doctor i can't ask "Gee doc, tell you what. i'm just not sure how i'm going to feel about your consult. Why don't you give me a "trial consult" at no charge. I'll pester you with phone calls and emails over the next two weeks about your treatment/recommendations. If i like you, i'll make sure to tell all my friends" blink.gif

there is a expectation in society that software is "free"

I'd be willing to bet that i have 2 times as many actual users vs. paid users. mad.gif

I've done everything i can to protect the software without making it a total PITA to use/install.

Unfortunately some of my software is "add in" to existing software. Which leaves me sheeplove.gif for users that want a 5 finger discount. mad.gif

My experience is when a user asks for a "trial" they are simply asking for "free"

Users that say "If i like it, i'll tell all my friends". Translation: I don't want to pay.

Trial versions turn into "trial questions" and "trial customization"

RANT OFF
PeeGreen 914
TRy to embed something in it that will render the software usless after 30 days or so. I use many of the adobe products, and all of there "trial versions" do just that.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jul 4 2007, 09:08 AM) *

TRy to embed something in it that will render the software usless after 30 days or so. I use many of the adobe products, and all of there "trial versions" do just that.

agree.gif

better yet, do what i do with my software:

- implement a "automatic update" feature that requires a internet connection
- add a unique serial number into each copy of your software and keep track of who got what serial number
- then have your software "call home" every time it gets started or once a day, sending you the serial number and the users IP-address.

that way, you can track usage of each individual copy and you will also know if someone made a copy or two of your software ...
type.gif Andy
JB 914
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jul 4 2007, 10:08 AM) *

Can't do it for some of my software. it's an add-in library to existing software and i cannot protect it since i'm not the ".exe"
PeeGreen 914
OH blink.gif , well, I feel your pain....kinda. Hope you figure it out somehow. Then you can buy more 914 stuff biggrin.gif
JB 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 4 2007, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jul 4 2007, 09:08 AM) *

agree.gif

better yet, do what i do with my software:

- implement a "automatic update" feature that requires a internet connection
- add a unique serial number into each copy of your software and keep track of who got what serial number
- then have your software "call home" every time it gets started or once a day, sending you the serial number and the users IP-address.

that way, you can track usage of each individual copy and you will also know if someone made a copy or two of your software ...
type.gif Andy

Andy,

I have that in my EMR. If they don't register, it stops working after creating a certain # of charts/documents. Program checks for proper registration at login.

No ticky, no laundry. happy11.gif

My add-in software isn't a .exe and the software i add to has an "import/export" feature built into their software.

brer
why should I pay for something that is a total piece of crap and never works the way the box says it should?

confused24.gif

You may have a good product but no one will ever know if you dont get it out into the market. Thats why you must let users "try" it before they buy.

whats your price point out of curiosity?
McMark
I know exactly what you're talking about. This type of thinking spans all industries. If I built all the discount cars that were going to be so amazing that they would propel me into automotive stardom..... I would have propelled myself out of business.
smontanaro
Give the software away (or drop the price way down) and sell config/support services?

Skip
JB 914
QUOTE(brer @ Jul 4 2007, 12:36 PM) *

why should I pay for something that is a total piece of crap and never works the way the box says it should?

confused24.gif

You may have a good product but no one will ever know if you dont get it out into the market. Thats why you must let users "try" it before they buy.

whats your price point out of curiosity?

$300-$600

I'm the Walmart of medical software.

BTW, many EMR products cost 10X or higher.
JB 914
I'm not really looking for ways to help sell it.

I'm just wondering why it's acceptable to expect a software vendor to give his/her products/services away for free. Also, why is it acceptable to steal the software.
michaelt55

Hmmm...this isn't Amazing charts" software is it?

Michael

$300-$600

I'm the Walmart of medical software.

BTW, many EMR products cost 10X or higher.
[/quote]
JB 914
[quote name='michaelt55' date='Jul 4 2007, 01:07 PM' post='919600']
Hmmm...this isn't Amazing charts" software is it?

Michael

nope not me.
orthobiz
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Jul 4 2007, 01:03 PM) *

If i go to a doctor i can't ask "Gee doc, tell you what. i'm just not sure how i'm going to feel about your consult. Why don't you give me a "trial consult" at no charge. I'll pester you with phone calls and emails over the next two weeks about your treatment/recommendations. If i like you, i'll make sure to tell all my friends" blink.gif

Hey, I like that doctor example! As an orthopaedic surgeon, I see people all the time who come in for treatment and advice and either don't pay or have expired insurance, etc. etc. ?Cost of doing business?

Because I render a service, it's hard to reel it in and take it back. Although, I did think of an ortho repo service: if you don't pay for that total hip, I come to your house AND TAKE IT BACK! (gotta be a movie in there somewhere).

Does your software run on a Mac? Maybe I'd be interested. And I'm at a stage in my life where I have registered copies of every little thing AND I couldn't live with myself if I ripped someone off (happened too many times to me to do that to another human being).

I feel your pain.

Paul
JB 914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 4 2007, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(JB 914 @ Jul 4 2007, 01:03 PM) *

Hey, I like that doctor example! As an orthopaedic surgeon, I see people all the time who come in for treatment and advice and either don't pay or have expired insurance, etc. etc. ?Cost of doing business?

Because I render a service, it's hard to reel it in and take it back. Although, I did think of an ortho repo service: if you don't pay for that total hip, I come to your house AND TAKE IT BACK! (gotta be a movie in there somewhere).

Does your software run on a Mac? Maybe I'd be interested. And I'm at a stage in my life where I have registered copies of every little thing AND I couldn't live with myself if I ripped someone off (happened too many times to me to do that to another human being).

I feel your pain.

Paul

the software is all Windows based. you can check it out at HERE

Brando
You test drive a car before you buy it, right?

Maybe you shouldn't give out free or trial software, but let them see an already working example? Maybe a loaner laptop with one lowly 'user' account for a week
JB 914
QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 4 2007, 02:32 PM) *

You test drive a car before you buy it, right?

Maybe you shouldn't give out free or trial software, but let them see an already working example? Maybe a loaner laptop with one lowly 'user' account for a week

i have many reference sites. we also do "live" demonstrations online. So, they can ask "how do i do......" and we show them. I consider that a "test drive". The get to ask what it can do and we show them live how it works.

Remember this is Medical Software. It has a specific market and usage. It's not "Super Registry Washer Plus" that basically seperates you from your $$$

When you test drive a car will the dealer let you use it for a month? Then if you like it you pay them? Plus you get to call the dealer and get them to help you program your XM Radio and program all the radio stations in for you. plus you get them to tweak a few other things. They do all that for free right?

Brando, when you gonna come drink this budweiser i'm saving for you? i've had it in the fridge for a few years now..... happy11.gif
Brando
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Jul 4 2007, 02:54 PM) *
i have many reference sites. we also do "live" demonstrations online. So, they can ask "how do i do......" and we show them. I consider that a "test drive". The get to ask what it can do and we show them live how it works.

Remember this is Medical Software. It has a specific market and usage. It's not "Super Registry Washer Plus" that basically seperates you from your $$$

When you test drive a car will the dealer let you use it for a month? Then if you like it you pay them? Plus you get to call the dealer and get them to help you program your XM Radio and program all the radio stations in for you. plus you get them to tweak a few other things. They do all that for free right?

Brando, when you gonna come drink this budweiser i'm saving for you? i've had it in the fridge for a few years now..... happy11.gif

Joe, I know your stuff is damn good... No doubt about it there. The test drive example is valid, and it looks from what you said that's what you already do. A car is a 1-day, maybe even just a 1-hour test. Why wouldn't that be enough? I understand wanting trial (free) software but... Why not a lease system? If they want to continue use after a set time they can start paying. If not, make the software dead. Also, is a cheap customer someone you want to work for? Surely there are clients already willing to pay you can field for. Do you want customers who squeek when they walk?

And no, stealerships won't do that for you. Know why? No money in it! Why should they offer a service or something like that for free when they could charge for it? Also, you have the option of financing or leasing a vehicle. Maybe you should consider different methods of service... Financing options.

Budweiser? You're a sick, sick man Joe. I think I just barfed up my jumbo jack lunch. icon8.gif
JB 914
QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 4 2007, 03:12 PM) *

And no, stealerships won't do that for you. Know why? No money in it! Why should they offer a service or something like that for free when they could charge for it? Also, you have the option of financing or leasing a vehicle. Maybe you should consider different methods of service... Financing options.

Budweiser? You're a sick, sick man Joe. I think I just barfed up my jumbo jack lunch. icon8.gif

you hit the nail on the head. Software is a service and i don't work for free. People seem to think it's a physical product when it's a customizable service.

I just really needed to vent. These things come in waves. the last week or so i've had a few of these "let me try it and i'll tell all my fellow doctors....."

I've done this for 12 years and when I hear that..... rolleyes.gif

ususally that's the ones that use the most time and give the least return.

flag.gif

I'll keep that Bud in the fridge for ya Brando. i promise to only use it for ice in my fish box. When i get back i always hose it off and put it back in the fridge. happy11.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Jul 4 2007, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 4 2007, 03:12 PM) *

you hit the nail on the head. Software is a service and i don't work for free. People seem to think it's a physical product when it's a customizable service.

I just really needed to vent. These things come in waves. the last week or so i've had a few of these "let me try it and i'll tell all my fellow doctors....."

I've done this for 12 years and when I hear that..... rolleyes.gif

ususally that's the ones that use the most time and give the least return.

flag.gif

I'll keep that Bud in the fridge for ya Brando. i promise to only use it for ice in my fish box. When i get back i always hose it off and put it back in the fridge. happy11.gif

Joe -
Anyone who has been self employed and provided a service has been in your shoes -
Hopefully you can figure out a way to limit the life of a trial version, and when someone tells you they will tell all their doctor friends, that's a great time to ask for their names and contact info...(referals) aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.