Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front & Rear Control Arm Bushings...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Johny Blackstain
My gut tells me this question has come up before, as have many others I've asked, but how does one replace the bushings in the front & rear control arms huh.gif ? I also checked the tech articles here first & nothing was mentioned. This info/process also seems to have been omitted from the factory manuals, I looked. They tell how to remove the arms, brakes, bearings, shocks, etc... but not the actual bushings. Help!

cool_shades.gif
TravisNeff
get a mapp or propane torch and burn them out. Better to just get them starting to smoke and then you can use a big screwdriver to help twist them out. If you totally burn them apart it is hard to get out of the control arms, so go easy at first.

If you are thinking about doing the poly bushings, I wouldn't do that unless your bearings are totally and I mean totally shot. Those suck, even if you fit them - you'll get about 1k miles before they start squeaking badly.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 4 2007, 10:04 AM) *

This info/process also seems to have been omitted from the factory manuals, I looked. They tell how to remove the arms, brakes, bearings, shocks, etc... but not the actual bushings.

that's because the original bushings were never meant to be replaced.
the factory solution was to sell you a new A-arm/trailing arm.

the stock bushings are "vulcanized" to the arms. only way to get them out is to cut them up or burn them off.

there is *NO* rubber replacement available ...
bye1.gif Andy
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 4 2007, 02:51 PM) *

get a mapp or propane torch and burn them out. Better to just get them starting to smoke and then you can use a big screwdriver to help twist them out. If you totally burn them apart it is hard to get out of the control arms, so go easy at first.

If you are thinking about doing the poly bushings, I wouldn't do that unless your bearings are totally and I mean totally shot. Those suck, even if you fit them - you'll get about 1k miles before they start squeaking badly.

Ya I am thinking poly, although my bearings are fine. Have to take the arms out to clean them up for showing & I thought it best to replace 33yr old rubber while it's apart. I'll let you know how long lithium lasts before they squeek. Burn out the fronts & the rears? Stinky, sooty & very messy. I did that to my truck during it's resto. Best to do outside. Feel stupid now for asking but I just don't associate GMC methods of assembly w/ Porsches' laugh.gif . Thanks.

cool_shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 4 2007, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 4 2007, 10:04 AM) *

This info/process also seems to have been omitted from the factory manuals, I looked. They tell how to remove the arms, brakes, bearings, shocks, etc... but not the actual bushings.

that's because the original bushings were never meant to be replaced.
the factory solution was to sell you a new A-arm/trailing arm.

the stock bushings are "vulcanized" to the arms. only way to get them out is to cut them up or burn them off.

there is *NO* rubber replacement available ...
bye1.gif Andy

I knew it! Disposable suspension. Did not know OEM replacements did not exist. Thanks Andy.

cool_shades.gif
McMark
If they are fine, what are you hoping to gain? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't understand taking out perfectly good rubber, to put in sqeaky poly, just because... blink.gif

Seems like a step backwards to me.

But if you are set on doing it, use a propane/MAPP torch to heat up the metal. Once they are good and warm (they usually start to smoke slightly) you can use a large screwdriver through one of the mounting holes to twist and pull the end caps off. It's not hard, and doesn't make a stinky mess. Don't bother trying to specifically burn the rubber. Just focus on the metal.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 4 2007, 03:32 PM) *

If they are fine, what are you hoping to gain? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't understand taking out perfectly good rubber, to put in sqeaky poly, just because... blink.gif

Seems like a step backwards to me.

But if you are set on doing it, use a propane/MAPP torch to heat up the metal. Once they are good and warm (they usually start to smoke slightly) you can use a large screwdriver through one of the mounting holes to twist and pull the end caps off. It's not hard, and doesn't make a stinky mess. Don't bother trying to specifically burn the rubber. Just focus on the metal.

I'd rather not but I just can't stand doing something twice. Do you think I should just clean up the arms & leave the bushings alone, even though they're 33yrs old? Sure as kimshi be a lot easier to do that instead, but how much life is left in that old rubber?

cool_shades.gif
McMark
Take this into consideration, nearly everyone else on this board is running 'old' rubber. wink.gif

Checking the rears carefully is a good idea. I've heard of those disintegrating, but I would still never replace them 'just because'. If you want to replace them, get bronze replacements or roller bearing replacements (coming back soon). These two options offer a viable upgrade that is worth doing, with the roller bearings being the best option.
Eric_Shea
although my bearings are fine.

Then don't mess with them. I measure tops and bottoms of the bushings. If they're close I'd leave them in. You'll never get that ride back (especially for the LE) without buying new.

If you do decide to do this, Travis is correct "but" burning them out is a bit of a misnomer. You're basically heating up the outer surface of the rubber (by applying heat to the metal cover) just enough so the cover slips off. Again, as Travis mentioned, I've found that when you see a wisp of smoke, you can usually turn the outer cover (on the fronts).

For the rears I use a press to press the rod through one bushing. I also use heat on the rod and it goes like a hot knife in butter. Then I take a big screwdriver and pry the bushing out. Next, flip the control arm over and press the rod back down and then through the remaining bushing... again, heat the rod and it will slip through. Pry out the remaining bushing.

Try this link... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=12139
burton73
What do you guys think of these? I was going to put these in my car up front and in the back. Low-Friction control Arm Mounts Trick bushings. Not cheap!

Bob

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/b...914bushings.htm
burton73
Eric,

You got on as I was putting this up. What do you think?

Bob
Johny Blackstain
This car is nothing but pure worry. The reason I have an east coast 914 w/ no rust is because she has spent 29 of her 33yrs inside & was taken off the road as a daily driver only after 4 years. During those 4 years she amazingly did not rust because some jackass redneck at the dealer decided he was really going to undercoat this car & man it's on everything. The exhaust & heating did rust out & that pissed the old man off & he parked it & started buying parts. 20 yrs later he passed away, never having got to the garage queen. I, along w/ lots of Georges' help (AA), got her back on the road after a 23 yr slumber. I had no idea what she had become or what her real historical significance was @ the time. I told George I wanted to put a six in her & he said I was full of kimshi. And so the originality monster reared it's damned ugly head headbang.gif .

Anyway to make a long story short I landed extra front control arms on eBay for $40.00 including shipping. I just cooked one of those w/ a torch & used a big honkin screwdriver, as suggested biggrin.gif , & had no trouble at all. The urethane bushings all look alike but are not- there are fronts & rears & you have to read the part number to tell.

I bought them for the six, one is slightly bent on her now, was going to clean them up & just swap em out onto the LE & use hers later on the six but after all the uproar I'm going to try & just clean & re-shoot them black, in place. That means lots of PITA taping & masking. Have not got to the rears yet, completely covered in undercoating- even the damned braket on the outside. All the brakes are on their way to Es' for reconditioning. Rear sway bar, frikin easy, is done & looks new. I just wish I could drive her now, w/out all that unsprung wheel weight. Have to do something like that out @ Bonneville biggrin.gif .

cool_shades.gif
Brando
Do the bushings now.

I made the mistake of waiting until my left side trailing arm bushings went to shit. Car slid around like someone was deflecting my rear left weel a ton. Oh, it was...

Burn the old rubber out how you like. I kept the torch on the rubber and kept poking/prodding with a flathead screwdriver until things were completely burned off. Fire = pretty. After such I used a small cylinder hone, cleaned up the inside of the arms a little and put new poly-graphite bushings in. Liberally apply silicon grease. I also grooved the bushings a bit to hold some of the grease. I would reccommend the elephant racing bushings, though. Well worth it and they have zerg fittings to re-lube every so often.
Eric_Shea
Bob... I think those are great for your car or for Al's -6.

In no way would I change out the bushings on the LE if it's only been driven 4 years. Al, just yank the parts and clean everything up. The undercoating may be a blessing, preserving the original paint all those years. If you're planning on showing the car etc... keep the bushings. Elephants on a CW car would be a deduction.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 4 2007, 06:34 PM) *

Bob... I think those are great for your car or for Al's -6.

In no way would I change out the bushings on the LE if it's only been driven 4 years. Al, just yank the parts and clean everything up. The undercoating may be a blessing, preserving the original paint all those years. If you're planning on showing the car etc... keep the bushings. Elephants on a CW car would be a deduction.

I agree E & am just floored by the clean up job I'm facing. I guess I'm gonna try & kick some ass in the restoration (full not touring) class next year in Charolette. Don't think I qualify for preservation class anymore, but I could fake it biggrin.gif ! I'm taking as many "easy" things apart, scraping & disolving the tar off & re-shooting black where appropriate. Not a rust job but just as dirty. Somehow I have to wash the underside while apart so I can reshoot some more undercoating in areas where it's flaked off. I'm not taking it off & making the underside white... I'll never drive the car again laugh.gif !

cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.