Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wow, I suck!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Dave_Darling
I figured I'd be fighting for DFL. I didn't figure on being unable to improve. Grr...

It's a long, long course! (1:28 for me!) High speed, quite a bit of 3rd gear. No slaloms, lots of S-turns. And some straights, too!

My primary competition in class is one of the local hot-shoes; he is usually 5 seconds off TToD (on these large courses they run!), and was unhappy to be ~8 seconds off it today. He's got more car than I do (headers, tires, wheels; equivalent suspension) and he really knows how to use it.

TToD was Steve Nielsony, with a low 1:12! Provasi was 6/100 of a second behind him, with some other "lesser" machinery in 3rd.

Cool day, but way too long! I showed up to work the course at 6:45 AM, and got back here at 3:30 after running.

Tired. Now we go to Sea World and watch the fireworks.

--DD
DanT
did the smurfmobile show up?

on a long course I am surprised that Steve would edge out Tom.

sounds like your competition was driving a car very similar to mine.
Chris Pincetich
Steve N. is quick! After seeing his car for the first time recently I had to copy him a bit with the aluminum pointy hood pins that he has. I'm sure they will make my 914 faster. beerchug.gif
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
john rogers
Tom actually got a 1:11 on one run but hit a cone! I think the uneven course surface hurt Tom's car more than Steve's. After I checked my picts I noticed in several of them that Provasi's car had one or two of the wheels with very little contact where Steve's car sat much flatter in the same place.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 4 2007, 05:49 PM) *

I told y'all... Steve's got mad skillz... Let's see what Joy can do. She is developing very well.
DanT
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 4 2007, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 4 2007, 05:49 PM) *

I told y'all... Steve's got mad skillz... Let's see what Joy can do. She is developing very well.

I know Steve has skills, we used to AX against each other years ago with BI cars.
He has always been quick.
Not surprised he won, just that is was on a long high speed course that usually plays well for the high HP big tired cars.
With that in consideration, it is even a bigger accomplishment.

David and Goliath. biggrin.gif
ottox914
Can we get some pics up of these cars? Not all of us could be there.
DanT
here you go
john rogers
Here you go.
john rogers
Look at the left rear tire.
Dave_Darling
No pics of the fast people--I was in the driver's meeting for my group, and then was waiting to get on grid. But I do have a few of my sweetie and my car:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

--DD
ottox914
Holy Cow! -that looks like a HUGE course, more like a road course w/out the infield! Musta been a blast.
jhadler
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jul 6 2007, 07:31 AM) *

Holy Cow! -that looks like a HUGE course, more like a road course w/out the infield! Musta been a blast.

Yeah, Jack Murphy Stadium (I refuse to call it by whatever the corporate sponsor du jour is) has a huge open lot. Autox events there tend to be... well... faster than most... Great site. Sound restrictions (93 dB at 50 ft) are a little limiting, but they manage to have full events from multiple clubs all the time.

Makes me wonder though if PCA was adhering to the sound restrictions, I can't imagine Tom P's car getting in under the 93 dB limit... But it's been years since I've seen/heard his car up close.

-Josh2
john rogers
The sound limit is 92 db and the meter was placed where the driver had to be at full throttle. Tom's car has a pair of those really nice, low restriction stainless steel racing mufflers that I wish I could afford. That's why I ran our 87 Turbo instead of the 914 race car. There were really no "flat" areas on the whole course, either up or down and most turns were off camber and decreasing radius to boot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.