Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scotchgard Paint Protection Film
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
As I get more acquainted with my '74 I see little chips in the front of the vehicle. My buddies swear by the 3M product that is professionally applied, one has an aluminum bodied Cobra replica and the other has a Benz.

For those who don't know, it's a clear plastic film designed to let the paint shine through. But with the super flat surfaces of the 914 I'm wondering how noticeable it would be and if it would be worth it.

3M PPF

Thanks!

Paul
Dominic
I'll be doing this to my newly painted 914. I bought a roll of 12" 3m clear guard. So I will be covering the first 12" of the front hood/lights. I think it's a good investment. I also cut out a few round pieces and took care of my new fog light lenses.

Cheers!

retrofit
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 4 2007, 05:50 PM) *

As I get more acquainted with my '74 I see little chips in the front of the vehicle. My buddies swear by the 3M product that is professionally applied, one has an aluminum bodied Cobra replica and the other has a Benz.

For those who don't know, it's a clear plastic film designed to let the paint shine through. But with the super flat surfaces of the 914 I'm wondering how noticeable it would be and if it would be worth it.

3M PPF

Thanks!

Paul

Where do you buy it?
AK

orthobiz
QUOTE(retrofit @ Jul 5 2007, 12:15 AM) *

Where do you buy it?
AK

You don't. An authorized dealer comes to your car and applies it.

Paul
Ferg
I have it on my car... and my past cars.

Ferg beer.gif
markb
I've seen it on other cars, and I've only been able to tell it's there by catching the edge in the right light. I'd really like to see it on a 914.
914-8
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 4 2007, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(retrofit @ Jul 5 2007, 12:15 AM) *

Where do you buy it?
AK

You don't. An authorized dealer comes to your car and applies it.

Paul

Not entirely accurate. You can have it applied, or you can buy the film and apply it yourself.

I applied a pre-cut kit to my wife's car 5 years ago, the film and the front end still look like new. This was a modern car, with lots of curves and cutouts, so a kit was necessary.

You can buy the film either in pre-cut kit form, or in standard sheets.

The hood and headlights and headlight blinds on a 914 would be very easy for a DIY'er to do. No problem. It is so straight, you could probably just buy bulk film and cut it to fit. You just need a very, very clean area to do the application.

The 3M film and kits are available everywhere. I got mine from xpel.com and was very happy with it. At the time, they had the best prices, they probably still do, but check around.

The visibility of the film really depends on the application and the color of the car. On a modern car with a once piece plastic front bumper, you hardly notice it, because the edge of the film runs on edges of the bumper. You'd notice it more on a 914 hood, mostly because of the long line running across the hood.

It also gets less and less noticeable the more the panel gets towards vertical. The 914 hood, which is more close to horizontal, will be more noticeable.

It is not very noticeable on metallic silver. From what I've seen, it is fairly noticeable on white. Visibility on other colors vary quite a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.