Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low Power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Loser_Cruiser
So i finally got things ironed out( or so I thought) with my new to me engine. Well its been timed and new plugs put in, along with a new cap and rotor with the already proved pertronix unit. At idle in my drive it sounds smooth and will rev up real nice maybe witha few hiccups now and then but sounds good. When i get in to drive it feels real sluggish like mushy. ard to describe but like there should be more power I wanna say that only three cylinders are running but it doesnt sound/ feel rough so Im not sure of that. I just no the motor before was old and crappy but felt alot stronger/faster. SO basically what i can i do?
Mike D.
Quick Test... when idling, test by pulling the fuel injector wires one at a time. If it drops or get rough then you know that cyl. is firing.
BMXerror
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jul 5 2007, 12:35 AM) *

Quick Test... when idling, test by pulling the fuel injector wires one at a time. If it drops or get rough then you know that cyl. is firing.

agree.gif Also, confirm that your fuel pressure is correct. If you have done that already, then have you adjusted your valves? That'll make the thing rather sluggish, especially on the bottom end. If it doesn't sound like it's missing, than those are the things I'd check.
Mark D.
Coy
Maybe check the fuel filter, it could be getting enough fuel to idle, but starving under acceleration.
So.Cal.914
If its a 1.7, get used to it.
alpha434
Check your flippin tire pressure!

laugh.gif
Loser_Cruiser
all pressures are good except maybe my blood pressure. but i just did the fuel injector test as suggested and it doesnt seem that my number three is fireing? when i pulled the others individually idle craped out real fast but when i pulled number three nothing happened so is there away to test it with out pulling it and is there a way to fix it thanks.

P.S. its a 2.0 with d-jet supposedly rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago up to a 2056 with some sort of compatible fi cam but who knows im just glad it runs.
Loser_Cruiser
ok, so I went out and picked the best looking fuel injector from my spare set and replaced the one i believe to not be firing. and it seemed to make no difference. Seriously though the engine can rev smoothly but idles like crap. and when driving it kinda has a sluggish lumpy acceleration. What should i look for now. Im gonna re-check the valve clearences in the morning make sure there right. would that cause the syptoms that i seem to be having?
Coy
Are you getting spark at that cylinder? Take the plug out and ground it to the block and have someone turn the ignition to see if you have spark...

Also with the wire & fuel line attached put that new injector in a jar and start the car to see if you're getting fuel to the cylinder.

Then check the valves... if that's good then you should have the basic ingredients; fuel, spark & compression.... If you have all three and it's still dead, then I'm all out of ideas. confused24.gif
Loser_Cruiser
can i use a volt/ohm meter to see if a signal is even being sent to the injector and if so what are the values im gonna be looking for? Thanks btw. Im pretty sure i got the valves right before we put the tin on the motor when it was on the bench but who knows. confused24.gif . any way i will update in the morning. then im off to idaho to drop of my parts car i just sold.!!! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Jul 5 2007, 10:56 PM) *

ok, so I went out and picked the best looking fuel injector from my spare set and replaced the one i believe to not be firing. and it seemed to make no difference. Seriously though the engine can rev smoothly but idles like crap. and when driving it kinda has a sluggish lumpy acceleration. What should i look for now. Im gonna re-check the valve clearences in the morning make sure there right. would that cause the syptoms that i seem to be having?

You may need to chat with Mr. Bowlsby. If your harness is bad your injectors can't do their job... His site along with a few others like Brad Anders will help you sort that out. I don't recall if the DJet injectors are batch fired. If they are you can switch the harness leads and then pull them again. If the same one craps it is the injector. If the other one craps, it is the harness. That only works if they are batch fired and on the same side though... Good luck.
Loser_Cruiser
i really hope not. although i wouldnt doubt that my harness is crap. its pretty hard and brittle sad.gif .
Marlow
You can buy a 'noid' light at your local FLAPS for Bosch fuel injection. It plugs into the harness at the injector and flashes when the injector is receiving a signal. Shouldn't be more than 5 or 10 bucks.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Jul 6 2007, 12:31 AM) *

i really hope not. although i wouldnt doubt that my harness is crap. its pretty hard and brittle sad.gif .

That depends on your economy... I think Jeff rebuilds a harness to like new for about $300.00 Not sure as I have carbs now...
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 6 2007, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Jul 6 2007, 12:31 AM) *

That depends on your economy... I think Jeff rebuilds a harness to like new for about $300.00 Not sure as I have carbs now...

yeah, and I may be about to join you. hahah. but seriously.
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(Coy @ Jul 5 2007, 11:56 PM) *

Are you getting spark at that cylinder? Take the plug out and ground it to the block and have someone turn the ignition to see if you have spark...

Also with the wire & fuel line attached put that new injector in a jar and start the car to see if you're getting fuel to the cylinder.

Then check the valves... if that's good then you should have the basic ingredients; fuel, spark & compression.... If you have all three and it's still dead, then I'm all out of ideas. confused24.gif

so both injectors fired nicely but when i checked the plug no spark. Spark was getting to the end of the wire but not through the plug. when i would pull the plugg off just a tiny bit the spark could jump from end of the wire to the top of the spark plug and it would run smoothly so i just pulled the plug and put in a spare one. it was brand new though. Any ways all is fine and smooth now. I just to check for gas leaks and adjust my thermostat wire. it dosent want to open all the way. Any ways thanks for the help! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.