Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early fuel pump relocate to 1975/1976 location?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjs3rd914
Will the early 3 hose fuel pump and filter fit in the space the 2 hose 1975/76 pump occupies, or will a 2 hose pump have be used? The 3 hose pumps have all the hoses on one end whereas the 2 hose pump has hoses on either end. We have the 1975/76 holder and would have to cut the opening in our 1972. Anyone ever done this? Note the car does have a factory front sway bar.

Any pictures would be helpful. The Haynes manual has one photo and I have not found any good detailed photos doing a search on how the pump is attached to the holder, how the holder is attached to the opening, and the exact location of the hole to be cut.

Thanks in advance.

jjs3rd914.

toon1
Should work without a prob..

You relocating to the front , under the tank, right?
boxstr
Personally I would run the lines out and next to the spare tire. Mount the holder on the lower brace, next to the spare tire, on the passenger side.
You can mount the fuel filter their also. It won't take up any space because it is off to the side.
I had a pic but cannot find it right now.
CCLIN914NATION
Dr Evil
No problem
boxstr
The problem I see with this is the access to the pump and the filter once the tank is in place.
CCLIN914NATION
MrKona
I relocated the pump on my '74 to the later location with a later model access cover. Personally, I think with this method, all those hoses get kind of tight. I would have converted to a later style pump if my current pump wasn't practically brand new. All those hoses fit, nothing is kinked, but it's still tighter than I would like it. Putting the pump back in takes a little finagling. If I can ever get a good deal on a later style pump, (and I don't have higher priorities with my $$$ somewhere else) I might just have to switch them out.
orange914
QUOTE(jjs3rd914 @ Jul 5 2007, 06:36 AM) *

Will the early 3 hose fuel pump and filter fit in the space the 2 hose 1975/76 pump occupies, or will a 2 hose pump have be used? The 3 hose pumps have all the hoses on one end whereas the 2 hose pump has hoses on either end. We have the 1975/76 holder and would have to cut the opening in our 1972. Anyone ever done this? Note the car does have a factory front sway bar.

Any pictures would be helpful. The Haynes manual has one photo and I have not found any good detailed photos doing a search on how the pump is attached to the holder, how the holder is attached to the opening, and the exact location of the hole to be cut.

Thanks in advance.

jjs3rd914.

i put our 3 hose between the lower pan and tank-by the rack. its a little tight but accessable with out tank removal
Click to view attachment
orange914
this trivial info might help. i noticed my 73 3 port was longer than a 71 3 port we had around. sometimes that makes a difference.
Click to view attachment
jjs3rd914
Thanks to all that replied. Several years ago we relocated the pump to the front under the car by the steering rack (AA kit) as mentioned in one of the posts. However it is a tight fit and all the hoses are outside the car, however I will say we have had no problem other than than the inital fitup took some time (clearances).

The attractiveness of the 75/76 location is everthing is inside, out of the way of moving parts, and thus better protected. The pictures have helped a great deal.

We will also look at putting the pump/filter inside the trunk by the spare tire, however we are in the process of installing a DPD AC system and that may or may not affect the optimum location.

Thanks again.

jjs3rd914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.