Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Owner vs. Mechanic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cjllong
Hey guys,

I posted a problem with my fuel injection earlier last week and you guys gave me great suggestions. I recieved some information regarding the mechanic from, "Concerened citizens" and specific info regarding my particular Porsche. (It helps to be local law enforment and have, "Informants.") Long story short, I went to him today and pointed out the many discrepencies in what he's told me from the begining as apposed to what he's telling me now. I also accused him of throwing parts at my car and not doing a proper diagnosis. He basically offered all my money back and I can take the car home. YEA!!!!! NO SMALL CLAIMS COURT!!! Needless to say, I took the money and ran. He told me he had a new mechanic working on it who narrowed it down to the double resistor. He replaced the resistor and it ran beautifully, but then it died like somebody turned of the ignition with the key. Then he found there was no power to the brand new fuel pump. He thinks the new resistor was bad and blew the internal 50amp fuse. He was in the process of ordering a new resistor when I told him to stop working on the car. He says there may be a problem with a short from the resitor to the fuel pump. Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help!

Chris
drive-ability
QUOTE(Cjllong @ Jul 5 2007, 01:10 PM) *

Hey guys,

I posted a problem with my fuel injection earlier last week and you guys gave me great suggestions. I recieved some information regarding the mechanic from, "Concerened citizens" and specific info regarding my particular Porsche. (It helps to be local law enforment and have, "Informants.") Long story short, I went to him today and pointed out the many discrepencies in what he's told me from the begining as apposed to what he's telling me now. I also accused him of throwing parts at my car and not doing a proper diagnosis. He basically offered all my money back and I can take the car home. YEA!!!!! NO SMALL CLAIMS COURT!!! Needless to say, I took the money and ran. He told me he had a new mechanic working on it who narrowed it down to the double resistor. He replaced the resistor and it ran beautifully, but then it died like somebody turned of the ignition with the key. Then he found there was no power to the brand new fuel pump. He thinks the new resistor was bad and blew the internal 50amp fuse. He was in the process of ordering a new resistor when I told him to stop working on the car. He says there may be a problem with a short from the resitor to the fuel pump. Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help!

Chris

Its funny when techs and shop owners aren't able to talk circles around you Ha Ha. I find once you show some expertise they get nervous. icon8.gif I'll tell you one thing if a 50 amp fuse blows I too would be looking for a direct ground issue, but I don't have the car in front of me but surely you'll get it fixed somewhere now. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
50A fuse. on a 914?????????
Really, Now I got to see this. Oh it's internal That makes all the difference in the world. Hey I just happen to have the wiring diagram right here. Show me.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 5 2007, 12:39 PM) *

50A fuse. on a 914?????????
Really, Now I got to see this. Oh it's internal That makes all the difference in the world. Hey I just happen to have the wiring diagram right here. Show me.

agree.gif WTF.gif
rhodyguy
too much fuse. on the engine relay board item #12; p128, fig 9.21 of your haynes manual; is the very first thing i would check. swap a known good round relay from one of the headlight motors (behind the black plastic covers on either side next to the headlights in the front trunk) and see if the problem persists. report back with the results.

the mechanic's wife must have been very sad shen she learned the trip to maui was 'off'. haha smile.gif

k
Cap'n Krusty
Dude's gonna be REALLY surprised to learn the resistor pack on ALL L-jet systems isn't in the same circuit as the fuel pump. It provides power to the injectors only.
No 50A fuse, either. The smoke he was blowing musta clouded his vision. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.