Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: question, headlight relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelt55
Question, just replaced the old fuse panel with the JWEST panel, everything qwent fine except now I have no high beams or horn. I think the horn may be corrosion and a ground but whats the deal with the headlights? I imagine one going out is the lamp but both? Is it the relay?

Michael
blitZ
Funny, I'm trying to trouble shoot the same problem. I looked over the wiring, everything seems correct. Thought also, the relay may have blown in the process.

Well, it's not that funny.
eg914
We replaced the headlight relay in my son's '73 bug a while back. It also had lost the high beams. It turned out it was due to a connector that had spread. It was so loose on the fuse block that the lights didn't work. If this is the case for you be careful when squeezing the connector to tighten it. The connectors can be very brittle at this age. The curled sides will break right off. I hope it is this simple for you.

You can check if it is the relay by switching the yellow and white wires. If the problem switches to the low beam it is likely the relay (if it is not the connector on the wire). Also, if the relay is bad the high beam will sometimes work as long as you are holding the switch back, but the relay will not lock in the high beam position.
porsche914gt
The problem with the JWest panel that I installed was this.
On the 73/74 panels, fuse ! & 2 and 3 & 4 are fused together.
They are high beam (white) and low beam (yellow). This is on the input side from the headlight switch.
You need to jumper them together.
The documentation I received said nothing about this.
You can see this on the wiring diagrams or check you old panel, and you will see it.
JWest
QUOTE(porsche914gt @ Jul 12 2007, 01:09 AM) *

The problem with the JWest panel that I installed was this.
On the 73/74 panels, fuse ! & 2 and 3 & 4 are fused together.
They are high beam (white) and low beam (yellow). This is on the input side from the headlight switch.
You need to jumper them together.
The documentation I received said nothing about this.
You can see this on the wiring diagrams or check you old panel, and you will see it.

Not true, fuse 1-2 and 3-4 and 10-11-12 ARE jumpered together internally in the JWest fuse box.

If there is no continuity between the input side of these fuses then there is an issue with the fuse box and you can send it back to me for a replacement.
JWest
QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Jul 5 2007, 04:11 PM) *

Question, just replaced the old fuse panel with the JWEST panel, everything qwent fine except now I have no high beams or horn. I think the horn may be corrosion and a ground but whats the deal with the headlights? I imagine one going out is the lamp but both? Is it the relay?

Michael

The relays are very delicate given their age now. Does it click when you pull the turn signal stalk? Try switching the yellow and white wires on the headlight relay to see if the high beams now work and lows don't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.