Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 conversion......what tach???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Gathering parts for my 3.6 conversion. I have a 0 time 1992 3.6 with the DME and harness. I'm wondering what tach to use??? Do I have yo use a '92 964 tach and play with the wiring or is there some other way? I know at least a couple people have 3.6's running, what did you do?
ss6
The tach's changed slightly from the 3.2's to 3.6's, you may be able to get the earlier tach to work, but if you have the harness, why make extra work for yourself (and risk some obscure compatibility issue)? C2 tachs should be plentiful at your favorite parts recycler (or evilBay, if you dare).
East coaster
I guess I thought the harness would only connect the engine to the ECU, does it normally include the instrument wiring as well?? As you can tell, I haven't sorted it all out yet. I'm just in parts collection mode. I did see a couple of tachs on evil-bay and had contemplated it, but wanted to figure exactly what I need before buying.

Seems hard to get anyone to give up info when it comes to 3.6 conversions, although I know a few have been done within the club. Maybe it's a east coast/west coast thing?? Or does that only happen in rap! It just seems like a west caoster can post a question on how to scratch his ass and get 27 responses and east coast guys could post the answer to world hunger and it goes unreplied. Sorry......end of rant confused24.gif
TimT
try Instant-G Steve Timmins does alot of 3.6 conversions, drop him a line.

There is also the option of using an autometer tach
East coaster
Wow! Thanks much Tim. I never would've thought that I had someone in my neck of the woods that does 3.6 conversions. Newark Delaware is only about 1 1/2 hours away. I didn't see any 914s on his site, but the info I need is not 914 specific. Looks like from their website nearly any late model tach will do. Thanks again!!
Brad Roberts
I will using as many of the 993 gauges as I can in a 3.6 9146 we are building right now. I like the updated look of the later gauges.

B
siverson
AFAIK, you can use an early or late gauge on the 3.6s - it doesn't matter. I'm using a 964 gauge in mine (and 964 speedo and oil/pressure temp gauge, so the needles and backlighting matches).

You will need to get the gauge plugs, and they are on a seperate harness that was just for the dash. There is an engine harness (need everything here), car harness (don't really need anything here, except for the Hammer diagnostic plug, if you want it), and then a harness for the dash (just need the plugs for the gauges you'll be using).

Note: the tiptronic and turbo cars used a different tach than the other cars and have different dash harnesses (and plugs for the tach).

-Steve
East coaster
Damn you Steve! Your the reason I decided to do a 3.6 in the first place! I had seen your original conversion pics/info and decided this was the way to go for me. I like the updates you've done to your project, the flares look great. I'm still tossed on the modified 901 vs 915 decision. I see you decided on the 915 for the second phase. Thanks for info!!
Britain Smith
Go with the 915...thats my 2 cents.

-Britain
siverson
The 901s are cheap to replace when they blow up, and the 915 is pretty pricey by the time you really get done (~$5k), but the 915 is definetly the way to go. Well, at least that's what I think after having mine for about 500 miles, we'll see how long it lasts. It's just no fun to drive around wondering when the transmission is going to quit on you - I have more confidence in the 915 lasting.

-Steve
East coaster
Steve, Did you ever flip the intake plenum so that it puts the air filter over the distributer? I know you had mentioned on your old site that you wished you had and even included a pic of someone elses. I would like to do this flip and I'm trying figure out the best way to do that. It looks like you have to cut way the connecting webs between the plenum tubes??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.