Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay listing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Just came across this 914 listed on Ebay.
Take a look at the pictures that show some of the rust,
and then scroll down to the question that a potential
buyer asked. av-943.gif

Ebay listing

G e o r g e
what's so funny, you would need a targa top that worked if you hoped to keep your car together
rjames
what's so funny, you would need a targa top that worked if you hoped to keep your car together

Good point- I can see the potential buyer wanting to see how the targa top comes off and the dealer trying to stop him before the car folds in half.

"Don't worry about taking the top off now, save that for when you're at home. You wouldn't want to risk sun damage to the upholstery...."
jonferns
av-943.gif
LowGT
I saw that ad last night and thought, wow that's a nice looking car. Then I got to the rust picture and my jaw dropped!! How can the rest of the car be in such good shape and the cowl and a-pillars be half gone!?!
G e o r g e
QUOTE(LowGT @ Jul 5 2007, 06:35 PM) *

I saw that ad last night and thought, wow that's a nice looking car. Then I got to the rust picture and my jaw dropped!! How can the rest of the car be in such good shape and the cowl and a-pillars be half gone!?!

we don't call it acid rain for nothing sad.gif
So.Cal.914
Is that factory rust or aftermarket?
jonferns
that is pretty amazing...how that could rust, and the rest of the car, look good...hmm.... -JON
Cap'n Krusty
Not the first one like that. I've had one, and seen several others. Rest of the cars were pretty much rust-free. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 5 2007, 05:44 PM) *

that is pretty amazing...how that could rust, and the rest of the car, look good...hmm.... -JON

who knows how the rest looks like. juding from the crappy respray (red all over the wiring harness), it could be rusted to pieces underneath.

also, look at the rust in the motor/tranny pic from underneath ...
icon8.gif Andy
rhodyguy
the rubber caps on the rear struts look good. what's the point? that anyone would put their phone # in an ebay ad is insane.

k
So.Cal.914
The front cowl is rust looking for a place to happen. The recess for the wipers catch and hold water, the seam between the cowl and fender is a horror. Where the front hood seal runs along the cowl...hell, all along that seal should be watched. And at the cowl and windscreen is also a problem.
VaccaRabite
Thats really scary. There is nothing holding the windshield in. Driving with the Targa off, and the whole windshield and A pillar might collapse on the driver and passenger.

Zach
DEC
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 6 2007, 03:42 AM) *

Is that factory rust or aftermarket?

Paul
looks like real factory rust av-943.gif
Johny Blackstain
No joke intended but I wonder if that can be repaired? I guess you'd have to chop a doner & weld the windshied frame in place? Would it be easier to sandwich (chop front off weld other front on) this teener because of the windshield/cowl damage?

cool_shades.gif
tdgray
That thing is soooo full of Bondo it is not even funny :puke:
ConeDodger
He probably wants to know if the targa is in good shape because it is the only thing holding the windshield in.... I wonder how something in Ventura gets that rusty??? Unless it is a migrant 914...
jonferns
i dont even think that teeners out of the northeast can become that rusty!!!
GTeener
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 6 2007, 10:19 AM) *

I wonder how something in Ventura gets that rusty??? Unless it is a migrant 914...

Pacific ocean air is my guess. Might spend a lot of time by the beach.

Take the windshield off and AX it driving.gif
sww914
I've seen a lot of cars of many different makes rust around the windshield because of a bad windshield job in the past.
The glass guys will cut them out and scratch the the channel, then put some glass primer over the scratches and call it good. That's not a very good protector compared to etching primer, primer filler, and paint, so a little moisture creeps under their "fix" and the rust starts. Since the rust starts under the windshield it has a really good hold on the car before anyone ever sees it. Usually by the time you see it, it has already perforated the metal and taken off on the backside where you can't get to it, assisted by the moisture that's kept around for a long time by the windshield molding and the dirt that's collected under there, turning to mud. Rusty mud.
Customers would ask me if I would guarantee our rust repair, and I'd tell them that I guarantee that the rust will come back after a few years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.