Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So What goes WAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa Thunk!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
So What goes WAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa Thunk! Screeeeeeeeh.......silence

Give up...so do I..........

A 914 V8 being shifted from 2nd to third at about 5000rpm and this happened.....
Danny_Ocean
No prob...that can be fixed with a few coat hangers and some bungee cords.
drive-ability
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 5 2007, 10:07 PM) *

So What goes WAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa Thunk! Screeeeeeeeh.......silence

Give up...so do I..........

A 914 V8 being shifted from 2nd to third at about 5000rpm and this happened.....

That happened to me as well, you need to put the back up washers/plate in just in-case and use 911 mounts. I guess your lucky, if its a 901 you could have broken the transmission... chairfall.gif
So.Cal.914
With the sound effects my first thought was "Oh my God he hit a midget".

I would listen to driveability if I were you, he's pre med.
Dr Evil
Damn Bruce, you sure got some luck.

Drive-ability is pre-med? Wanna go to Penn State? I have connections wink.gif
GWN7
If it wasn't my car I would post something like "next time use bolts" dry.gif

biggrin.gif

shit happens and you get over it.....
Brando
Hmmm... Joe Buckle knows the answer to that one! av-943.gif
EdwardBlume
Geez, that sucks!

Its cool you can admit it, take a picture, have a moment here, and have a good attitude about it.

I'd be cursing everything!

GWN7
Well I was upset when it happened, but I had a nice walk home to get the support vehicle and I'm a firm believer if you drive a old car expect the unexpected and be prepaired to fix it.

What happened was when I swapped the trans I tightened the trans bolts but didn't tighten the adaptor to the body ones...when I shifted the torque caused the trans to move and the bolts came out of the trans mounts...
JB 914
QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 6 2007, 10:10 PM) *

Hmmm... Joe Buckle knows the answer to that one! av-943.gif

dry.gif Brando, I'm putting your Budweiser in the sun all weekend. poke.gif
JPB
Take the Yugo approach and weld it all up. beer.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 5 2007, 11:35 PM) *

If it wasn't my car I would post something like "next time use bolts" dry.gif

av-943.gif

aircooledboy
I would add some smartass comment, but I don't have time, since I need to go out to the shop and make sure a couple of bolts are good and tight. huh.gif

laugh.gif happy11.gif
GWN7
Thanks Chris...........at least someone got the message idea.gif beerchug.gif
JB 914
Bruce,

happened to me too. i only had the car a few weeks and the PO didn't put any washers on the top of the mounts. a little gas and it pulled the bolts right thru the rubber mounts.

i went with the solid mounts now. Most washers only go to 10. Mine go to 11.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Jul 7 2007, 01:10 PM) *

i went with the solid mounts now. Most washers only go to 10. Mine go to 11.

chairfall.gif

the scrapings in the pavement are still there joe tongue.gif
GWN7
Hi Joe,

someone told me off list that it happened to you just after you had got the car. That was the main reason for posting the pics. I never undid the stock bolts when I swapped the trans. The only one's I did were from the adaptor brackets. I have put about 8K on the car since I got it. I checked all the bolts from front to back when it was sitting in Hood River after the fire and getting rewired and nothing was loose then. I don't remember what the bolts fited like then. I've looked thru all the pictures from back then and can't tell if they were in further.

I'm still not happy with the way the trans bolts sit in the trans yokes. They look like they should fit back another 1/2" to be solidly seated. I used a pry bar on the mounts to try and get them to seat better. The car has the 911 sport mounts already. So I'm thinking of getting new adaptor pieces made so they will seat solid in the yokes. This is a early Renegade conversion kit from when they were in California (circa April 98 from the kit bill of sale) and I hope the later pieces fit better.
sww914
It sounds like these V-8 conversions need about 12 ground straps on the back of the tranny to hold it up when the bolts come out.
JB 914
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 7 2007, 08:08 PM) *

I'm still not happy with the way the trans bolts sit in the trans yokes. They look like they should fit back another 1/2" to be solidly seated.

agree.gif

that's why i had Thomas make me some new ones that were 3/4 inch longer. I had him make an extra set for Skline. So, if you want i can drop them back by and see if he can make another set. Below shows the new mouint next to the renegade mount. i don't know what year my renegade kit is....it came with the car. perhaps the new renegade kit adapters are different. confused24.gif

I also dumped the 911 mounts and went with the solid mounts see pic of the solid mounts at the bottom. Click to view attachment
GWN7
Joe, you have a PM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.