Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It Finally Happened-- USPS Fails me after nearly 5000
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
Well, they say there is a first time for everything!! After nearly 5000 packages sent to customers through the USPS I finally have one that did not make it. I have had other problems with the USPS before but most of them stemming from their lack of ability to read my mind. I have sent things to the wrong person before. I even sent a group of packages to myself once. I had a package that went to Norway by boat that took almost 90 days to get there, but it finally showed up. I have had boxes returned empty because the box got torn and I have had others that were returned by the buyer because they forgot that they ordered and paid for it in the first place. I even got a box back that had no markings on it at all, except for a small little scribbled "914 handle", because the people at my PO know me so well. But, alas, a simple package sent on a simple trip has made its way into the netherworld. A first time for everything. USPS, if you are reading this, Thank You, from the bottom of my heart. I really do appreciate the fact that you were able to get all those other packages to their dastinations and I hope Our luck holds out for another 5000 packages!!!!!! thumb3d.gif
markb
Ooops
dlo914
Same here! Ive used USPS' ever since i started selling stuff VIA the net. And only had one incident where they lost a package. dry.gif But other than that they're great!
orthobiz
After 100 eBay items sold, they lost one of my packages. I now require insurance!

Paul
GaroldShaffer
I sell a lot on the net also. I only ship using USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation. I use their website to print my labels because confirmation is free, plus by using priority mail you get free boxes biggrin.gif

I have had two items in 5 years get lost by them. One did end up returned to me the other is lost for ever (a 914 emblem). I also use FedEx ground for bigger items. Works great for me.

I know a lot of people "hate" ebay, but when done right it can be fun, easy, and you can make some extra $$ clap56.gif Which I then dump back into to my 914 smilie_pokal.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 6 2007, 07:32 AM) *

I sell a lot on the net also. I only ship using USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation. I use their website to print my labels because confirmation is free, plus by using priority mail you get free boxes biggrin.gif

I also take advantage of all this but wouldn't you know it, this was one of only a handful of packages that, for what I thought was a good reason, I skipped the whole print online thing because I was not near a computer and wanted to get the item out quickly. Live and learn slap.gif
PRS914-6
I used click stamp.com for a long time but they finally abolished the program. It did an address verification before printing. If the address wouldn't verify it wouldn't print. You would be shocked at how many people screw up their addresses listed in Paypal or similar and was caught by this program. Sometimes they listed a physical address that only UPS went to and not USPS

Sometimes I would get "oh, I moved and forgot to change the address" good to verify
grantsfo
I have shipped millions of packages with them. They are great cheap source of trasportation for goods within the US if you are not worried about things arriving on time. They have made signficant progress with their priority services too, but still cant maintain service levels of a well designed FedEx or UPS solution for time critical shipments.
LvSteveH
Just an FYI, if you pay for Priority via USPS, make sure it gets the blue tape, otherwise it's going to go Parcel Post.

We just had a certified letter take 9 days to go five miles blink.gif
TravisNeff
Just last week I received a few boxes on my doorstep via USPS. Delivery person just happened to leave them on my doorstep, even though the adressee was 3 houses down. Nothing in life is perfect, lol
Eric_Shea
2 lost here... a caliper and hubs. Still a pretty good record.
GaroldShaffer
Oh, I forgot about the mail truck going up in flames. This was the ONE time I had them pick up a package at my house. Mail truck burnt to the ground a few blocks away and I didn't know about it. I was sending Eric a flywheel, long story but I got a call from the local postmaster. Seems they found what was left of the box with my return address on it, but had no idea what was in the package. I explained what it was, but it was to late. The mail truck had been taken away. I filed a claim, but haven't heard anymore. sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Forgot about that... hope that doesn't happen with my horn button! w00t.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I can right a book on the items UPS has lost or damanged for my bussness.

One day i am cutting a new guys hair, I ask where he worked, Ans .UPS

Next Ques. Exactly what do you do.

Ans. Lost prevention

Me , Oh do they loose a lot?

Ans. Hell yes, so much it drives me crazy, with the dumb shit things they do!

ME ,Like what?

Last week ( this was June) they pull a trailer that hadn't been used since the

Christmas rush up to the dock opened the trailer door. I,t was FULL of

items shipped the end of Dec. for Christmas.

Me: What did you do ???

Closed the damn thing up,and sent it to our salvage unit.
Me: What do they do .

Junk it!!!

Me, What if the people didn't have Ins. on there shippment??

I guess there shit out of luck ,then, Right

I have never shipped with UPS ,again,or never will.

This was not him doing that ,it was company policy....

didn,t try to deliver or anything just junked it, a whole trailer full

Dave slap.gif
JPB
The USPS has messed my mail up for three years here even after a letter written by the post master for proof of corrective measures. Okay, so many lawyers bills were sent back with a no such address printed on the letters and such which wasen't a bad deal but my 914 parts including US tail light lenses; I got to be personal with the post master real quick. Human error is part of our world and 1:5K is pretty awsome since mine here was more like 1:2. beer.gif
mike souza
hahahaha

UPS!

I just quit the company.

I'd been a load wall supervisor & trainer for about 2 years.

$hit gets broken so often its ridiculous. but its no wonder with how hard they stress production.
& production
oh, & production.

plus they hire mainly 18-24 year old kids & dont pay them enough to care

...its frustrating.

& dont get me started on the belt system...

ship USPS

trust me.

jonferns
yea..USPS has never failed me...even shipping the smallest of packages, they dont get lost....And their estimated delivery dates are usually either right on, or +/- day...UPS on the other hand, will give you one date, then have your package there 2 days later (or at least its happened to me) -JON
hwgunner
I was just talking to a friend that makes and modifies Porsche suspension parts. He sent a package full of Shocks, and coil over kits to a custome that was going to put them on his vintage 911 race car and the package arrived DESTROYED. They called UPS and asked about the insurance. UPS sent out a guy who looked at everything and said that he did not think that the insurance would cover the contents of the package but that he would have to take it with him in order to make a determination. When asked what would happen to the parts if UPS did not cover damage he said that the parts would not be returned either way. Can that be true??? That can't be true!!! headbang.gif
914Sixer
The only package I had turn up lost was one the went to Belguim. It is hard to fault them for that. The bad part was it cost me over a $100 refund to customer. I use the click and ship labels you print because of the free delivery conformation. I use Priorty Mail because you get items in 3 days or less.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Jul 5 2007, 10:20 PM) *

Well, they say there is a first time for everything!! After nearly 5000 packages sent to customers through the USPS I finally have one that did not make it. I have had other problems with the USPS before but most of them stemming from their lack of ability to read my mind. I have sent things to the wrong person before. I even sent a group of packages to myself once. I had a package that went to Norway by boat that took almost 90 days to get there, but it finally showed up. I have had boxes returned empty because the box got torn and I have had others that were returned by the buyer because they forgot that they ordered and paid for it in the first place. I even got a box back that had no markings on it at all, except for a small little scribbled "914 handle", because the people at my PO know me so well. But, alas, a simple package sent on a simple trip has made its way into the netherworld. A first time for everything. USPS, if you are reading this, Thank You, from the bottom of my heart. I really do appreciate the fact that you were able to get all those other packages to their dastinations and I hope Our luck holds out for another 5000 packages!!!!!! thumb3d.gif

For the statistical geeks out there like me this only equates to a 5 sigma level (Six Sigma Quality).

200 DPMO
0.02 Defect %
5.04 Sigma Level

DPMO = Defects per million opportunities

For shipping this isn’t bad but equate it to another industry like airline travel and it would mean 200 of ever 1,000,000 flights would crash - scary!

Okay, I’ve geeked out enough, back to work.

T
grantsfo
OK I shared profesional expereince now I'll share a little something about my personal expereince with USPS. They use contractors to deliver in my area. For over a year the contractor serving my route was stealing mail and parcels before USPS caught on to what was happening.

Several items sent via USPS to me never arrived. Many people including me on this person's route had identify theft issues and criminal investigation revealed that this contractor was working with several people to steal credit cards etc.

Post office was so unresponsive I had to go to my congress person to get action.

....So after all this USPS still use subcontractors in my area to deliver mail!

Needless to say I try to get things delivered via UPS or FedEx. I have had the same UPS driver for over 5 years and he knows everything about my race car. He puts tires in my garage on my race trailer. I havent had a single issue with UPS shipments coming to my house in over 10 years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.