Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opening rear trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slim72914
So I have owned a 914 for about 2 hours now.... How do I open the rear trunk in a 72 914/4??? sorry for the stupid question.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(slim72914 @ Jul 6 2007, 12:14 AM) *

So I have owned a 914 for about 2 hours now.... How do I open the rear trunk in a 72 914/4??? sorry for the stupid question.

Press the button in the center of the rear panel and lift. If it is locked of course you need to unlock it...

If you are talking about the engine lid??? Then you have a pull on the back panel inside the driver door.
slim72914
Not the engine lid just behind the rear window. The actual rear trunk lid. I see no key hole or button.
BahnBrenner914
You don't have a big hole where it should be do you? av-943.gif

and by the way welcome.png
GWN7
Does it have a big plastic piece on the back that says "Porsche"?
slim72914
It has half of a plastic piece that says PORS/ does that mean its a 71 or older?
G e o r g e
it means it's a 69

actually your latch is behind the plastic PORS , right behind the S

if the reflector is already broken go ahead and break a little more off to get behind the S
slim72914
a 69? Is this a joke on the new guy?

if the reflector is already broken go ahead and break a little more off to get behind the S
[/quote]
GWN7
it prob has a electric trunk opener....look for a switch/button in the cab....you will need the battery in it to work
G e o r g e
yes welcome.png

but i was serious about the location of your trunk latch, or at least a hole that will allow you access
slim72914
[quote name='slim72914' date='Jul 6 2007, 01:07 AM' post='920267']
a 69? Is this a joke on the new guy?

George I trust you read the post stating this is the car that was on ebay that the guy had no pictures of and no information on.

[/quote]
[/quote]
slim72914
so how does it really open? The guy i got it from said it hadnt been opened in 20 years and had no clue how to open it. If there is a sack of gold I will gladly give anyone 5% for helping me open it.
G e o r g e
yes i read that you bought the car sounds like the seller came down a lot from day 1 of his eBay post.

i hope you get her back on the road and enjoy driving.gif
slim72914
so as i was peeking through the hole where the CHE used to be on the back I saw an umbrella inside... could still be a sack of gold under it... I slipped and now it just says PO(crack) on the back. someone help before the entire rearend falls off....
G e o r g e
so do you see a hole in the middle of the panel?

you can use a screw driver to push the latch open

it won't take much beer.gif
slim72914
there is a white plastic bracket that used to be part of the PORSCHE logo thinggy on the back that is still there. It looks like it has 2 brass rivits in it. it is right in the center. How do you open it on a normal car?
slim72914
OK figured it out! broke the plastic thing off popped really easy.
Contents.
Umbrella.
original jack which looks unused...
can of car wax.
some other kind of automotive something that you cant read a word on.
a bundle of ground wires(scary)
and some crumbled paper of some sort.
messix
what ? you didn't find Jimmy Hoffa in there? cool_shades.gif
sean_v8_914
post a picture
swl
QUOTE(slim72914 @ Jul 6 2007, 12:12 AM) *

so how does it really open?

The 'PORSCHE' reflector is an aftermarket add on. Usually coupled with an electric solenoid release. Now that you have it open you can probably trace back the solenoid wires to the release switch.

The factory release is a simple mechanical pushbutton wth key. Check some pictures in the stickied pictures thread and you'll pick it up easily. You should be able to find one easily, get a locksmith to retumble it to your key and be back to normal opening.

If you like the rear reflector and decide to replace it you should jerry rig a hidden mechanical release.
Gint
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

If you don't have a digital camera, it's time to get one.

And a Haynes manual.
jonferns
If you don't have a digital camera, it's time to get one.

And a Haynes manual.

agree.gif
markb
agree.gif

and

welcome.png
slim72914
Thanks for the help with this guys. pics will come this weekend. Not sure if I will go to the original trim and lock. Maybe I'll make a carbonfiber piece for it or something like that. Or maybe I'll just leave it broken!
jonferns
go original! biggrin.gif
slim72914

OK so heres the pic of the junk in the trunk!
Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.