Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who are CW's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
as topic states.

thanks,

lev
GWN7
CW is short for Concourse Weenies.........someone who strives to make their car look like new.....
G e o r g e
CW means cheesy wanker, it's british. which doesn't make a lot of sense to me being that are cars are German WTF.gif
messix
card carrying Q-tip anal retentives alfred.gif
reverie
Not that there's anything wrong with that.. smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
Weenies? I thought it meant whores, because I AM!

cool_shades.gif
type47
in the Porsche car hobby, some owners have an obsession to make their car exactly as delivered by the factory to compete in concours against other cars as to who has the most "perfect" and clean car as if it just rolled out the factory door. there are also people who like to drive and modify their car to their own specifications and there is a bit of "misunderstanding" (for lack of better word) between the 2 groups. the drivers don't understand not driving the car as the concours owners want to keep it clean and perfect. some concours cars are trailered to the concours events.

this is a brief and certainly not all complete.
BigDBass
Yin:
FERG.gif

Yang:
driving.gif
Toast
It is a fierce group of 914 owners who keep trying to out-do each other by making their teeners have the most "bling".
wink.gif

I, on the other had, live in the stone age and strive to keep my teener stock, hence my signature.
biggrin.gif
davep
I think the ultimate CW was the 911 owner that totally restored his 73 Carrera RS ( IIRC ) documenting each part in the parts manual. Restoring or replacing each part with the correct finish. Even adding the paint marks indicating the fastener was properly torqued. Trailered to the PCA annual national Parade concours, a week long party similar to our own WCR. Did rather well I believe.

Parade organizers are pretty smart to put the concours event first, that way the entrants can run their cars later in performance events and let them get dusty. So, our ultimate CW then takes his car to the autocross and proceeds to prove that it also had the GO to go with the SHOW. Afterall, the car WAS meant to be driven!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 6 2007, 01:05 AM) *

CW is short for Concourse Weenies.........someone who strives to make their car look like new.....

And now for our spelling lesson ..................

"Concourse":

Main Entry: con·course
Pronunciation: 'kän-"kors, 'kä[ng]-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French concours, from Latin concursus, from concurrere to run together -- more at CONCUR
1 : an act or process of coming together and merging
2 : a meeting produced by voluntary or spontaneous coming together
3 a : an open space where roads or paths meet b : an open space or hall (as in a railroad terminal) where crowds gather

"Concours":

con·cours /Fr. kɔ̃ˈkur; Eng. kɒŋˈkʊər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[Fr. kawn-koor; Eng. kong-koor] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -cours /Fr. -ˈkur; Eng. -ˈkʊərz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[Fr. -koor; Eng. -koorz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation.
1. a public contest or competition.
2. concours d'élégance.

You may now return to our regularly scheduled blather ....... The Cap'n
Toast
tooth.gif

prop.gif
grantsfo
The exact opposite of a TR (Track Rat).
Kargeek
Once addicted, I have recovered from the disease. No more q-tips no more lint brushes!
914rrr
Gee...I thought it meant "Constantly Whining". smile.gif kidding. I actually have the utmost respect for CW's, and I exhibit CW tendencies from time to time.

There are actually multiple CW divisions. There is Full Concours, where every nut and bolt is perfect, possibly 'over -restored'.

There is also a Preservation class where you get bonus points for originality, high mileage, etc.
GWN7
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 6 2007, 09:17 AM) *

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 6 2007, 01:05 AM) *

And now for our spelling lesson ..................

"Concourse":

Main Entry: con·course
Pronunciation: 'kän-"kors, 'kä[ng]-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French concours, from Latin concursus, from concurrere to run together -- more at CONCUR
1 : an act or process of coming together and merging
2 : a meeting produced by voluntary or spontaneous coming together
3 a : an open space where roads or paths meet b : an open space or hall (as in a railroad terminal) where crowds gather

"Concours":

con·cours /Fr. kɔ̃ˈkur; Eng. kɒŋˈkʊər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[Fr. kawn-koor; Eng. kong-koor] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -cours /Fr. -ˈkur; Eng. -ˈkʊərz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[Fr. -koor; Eng. -koorz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation.
1. a public contest or competition.
2. concours d'élégance.

You may now return to our regularly scheduled blather ....... The Cap'n

You try translating from French to English and then to Merican.........If I had any feelings they would be hurt.... happy11.gif beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
SNIP....................

You try translating from French to English and then to Merican.........If I had any feelings they would be hurt.... happy11.gif beerchug.gif

Why translate? It's a French word .............. The Cap'n, an equal opportunity ragger .....................
orthobiz
Also, above the 914world log at the top of the page is an "FAQ" button. Click on it and check out the common abbreviations. I even know what "FLAPS" is now!

Paul
dflesburg
I know one of these CW's his 914 has been totally stock since I he bought it new. He just put non porsche wheels on it.... LOL.

I can't wait till next time I see him to point out that he has ruined a perfect car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.