Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what tire for my v8?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pffft
I am at the point of needing to order tires for the car now.
Stock fenders and 6.5x15 minilites. I HOPE 205 50s will fit.
Toy car, may eventually see an auto x, but its real reason is
for playing in the canyons outside my door. I like good turn in
but forgiveness is probably as or more important, especially with
the big lump of iron behind the seats and enough ride height to
get up my driveway from hell. Stock front swaybar, konis in front
and bilstiens in back with 200lb springs. Dry weather car but I
don't want to die when I hit an unexpected puddle.
And I'm cheap.

Any thoughts welcome...

patrick
skline
Lot's of choices, what are you looking for as far as wear? Falken's are a great tire for gripping the road but they really don't last that long. The BF Goodrich are a good traction tire also and wear a little bit longer.
bondo
I really like the Kumhos for a decent cheap tire.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pffft @ Jul 6 2007, 10:34 AM) *

Any thoughts welcome...

i've driven V8 914s with 205 tires and IMHO, it is borderline dangerous.
not nearly enough tire for that kind of power ...

i run 225 street tires with ~300HP and i can light them up at will in pretty much any gear.

you have to be sooooo smooth with the throttle, it's not even funny ...
burnout.gif Andy
i love porsche
i agree with andy, for a V8...you should widen the fenders and throw a meatier tire on there..but if you want to stick with stock fenders, a 205 will fit perfectly on a 6.5 inch..just have to make sure it wont rub..

i use the kumho Ecsta MX on my 924S, 205/50/15 all around, great grip and decent wear, not expensive either..the falkens are a bit gripper, but will wear faster, along with the hankook Z212, but with a V8, and a 205 tire, i wouldnt even want to run a compound too hard, you could even run an R compound if you wanted the extra grip, i think the Hankook Z211 in 205/50/15 is still around, for cheap too
http://www.frisbyracetire.com/z211sale.htm...CFSMKGgodfyCVpw
Joe Ricard
I would run a 205/50-15 Kumho Ecsta V700. This is a DOT R tire that is on the harder side 6/32 nd tread depth 60 tread wear. will do nicely in the canyons. Will not tolerate a straight line launch with V-8 power, but then again no many tires will. unless you are over 285 section width.
pffft
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2007, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(pffft @ Jul 6 2007, 10:34 AM) *

Any thoughts welcome...

i've driven V8 914s with 205 tires and IMHO, it is borderline dangerous.
not nearly enough tire for that kind of power ...

i run 225 street tires with ~300HP and i can light them up at will in pretty much any gear.

you have to be sooooo smooth with the throttle, it's not even funny ...
burnout.gif Andy

Ahhh, what a bunch of sissys! I only spun my 2.4 914-6 once(ish), and heck, I drove
up and down the street a couple weeks ago with the v8 and no problems what
so ever. I got it up to almost 2k rpm in 3rd before the clutch slipped and I STILL
never lost traction. driving.gif

I've got a set of aa flares that will probably go on in the future, but for now I just
want to see what it's like first.

SirAndy
QUOTE(pffft @ Jul 6 2007, 01:54 PM) *

Ahhh, what a bunch of sissys!

hey, you asked for opinions ... biggrin.gif

it's your life, do what you want. if you like the idea of being wrapped around a telephone pole, by all means, go for it! poke.gif

i, on the other hand, got myself some more meat that will go on the car this winter ...
stirthepot.gif Andy

Click to view attachment
LowGT
I've been raiding the dime-a-dozen used tire places in Dallas for 245/50/15 tires for the rear and 225/50/15 up front. It is almost impossible to find those sizes used, but I'm too afraid to buy new ones. I don't want them to be rotten by the time I finish the resto.
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 6 2007, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(pffft @ Jul 6 2007, 01:54 PM) *

Ahhh, what a bunch of sissys!

hey, you asked for opinions ... biggrin.gif

it's your life, do what you want. if you like the idea of being wrapped around a telephone pole, by all means, go for it! poke.gif

i, on the other hand, got myself some more meat that will go on the car this winter ...
stirthepot.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

I hear Hoosiers make great winter tires. biggrin.gif ...Maybe a trip to Tahoe?
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 6 2007, 05:22 PM) *

I hear Hoosiers make great winter tires. biggrin.gif ...Maybe a trip to Tahoe?

winter? we don't have no stinking winter here in the bay area ...
i know winter when i see it.

and no, i don't plan on driving my car up in the snow ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
gotxqss
Well I haven't had much luck yet for tires with the 914 and a v8.. I have had a few vettes and v8 power. And personally am just starting on my own ls1 v8 setup. My logic here..

205s all around. Easy to find. Swappable front to back ect.. Normally cheaper.. But plenty of good tires all the way to sticky ass r compounds...

I also wanted to do a v8 and keep stock fenders for the original look and sleeper status. Of course will all go out the window as soon as the car starts...

I think with 205s this car is going to be a handfull.. A real handfull.. But that is EXACTLY why I wanted this setup with this platform. I hate cars that barely spin tire and are a complete bore once rolling. I use throttle mostly to control the steering of the car.. Might not be fastest but either is stock fenders and 205s.. So whatever. I want to have to be a driver instead of the other mode of always keep it floored as its so slow nothing is going to happen quikly. I can't wait for this to get done..

Anyway I went with dunlop new dirrezza d101 I think they are called.. 280$ for all 4 mounted up. Good looking tread pattern, good wear and traction and cheap so I can abuse them and not care.. Anything really under 100 a tire isn't going to be some crazy sticky tire and barely noticable for a v8 in straightline. They are all gonna slide great with the tq down low... really can't go to wrong with any listed..

Have fun.. Keep it in 1 piece!!! Oh yeh let us know how the v8 feels with the 205s!!
drive-ability
I am running 225-55-16 and they fit with a little lip work. I don't have much wheel spin because of my gearing and a limited slip diff. I can nail it going a few miles an hour and not spin the wheels, however you better hold on and watch where your going... I can't say that when going through a hard turn and nailing the throttle, you will get something else and thats scary..
marks914
I have been running pirelli P7 205s for 5 years on my V8 car. If you are running a 901 box, 205s are a good idea.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.