Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 strut finish and color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
freezing14
I am powder coatigng all the suspension part before they go back on the car , the rear original shock are boge and are black,, figured the front would be black too but they are not ,, they are grey whats wrong with the car , and on top of that it seems the insert are built in the strut as when the nut was removed oil was o plenty

so what the deal with the grey strut , are they original ,, what will a judge think if he sees black rear shock and grey front, would front PCed black also be considered original
Martin Baker
I have a set of original 914-6 struts on my 914 2.0. They were original when I bought htm, and they are grey underneath the black. I believe this to be originaly how they were delivered.

Martin
Eric_Shea
and on top of that it seems the insert are built in the strut as when the nut was removed oil was o plenty

Are you sure it's not anti-freeze as specified upon installation?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Jul 6 2007, 07:27 PM) *

I have a set of original 914-6 struts on my 914 2.0. They were original when I bought htm, and they are grey underneath the black. I believe this to be originaly how they were delivered.

Martin

Agree!
Johny Blackstain
I hardly know if they're original but mine are green.

cool_shades.gif
freezing14
here are a couple of picture, and whats with the odd insert,, the question is were they all grey or some black,
Eric_Shea
Those are Bilsteins... you may have a fairly rare 914 option. You may simply have Bilstein inserts in Boges. I wondered when you said oil but many people mistake the basic anti-freeze for that. Part number?
freezing14
hi there , i brushed the housing ans a lot of information came out , they are grey all around and the info is like that

0 221 32 090
boge with the triangle
914 341 091 00

they will have to be powder coated grey now,, got to get grey powder!!!!
it suck I only have semi gloss black for all the other part and only this one is grey
Eric_Shea
I would not worry about the grey and do semi-gloss black as all the other parts. Every single Boge strut I've seen (my 914-6 included) was black as Martin stated.
freezing14
will do them black as long as its concourse correct but since most of all the other boge are semi gloss black ,, black it is, Ill just record it in the retoration book for posterity
Eric_Shea
I hardly know if they're original but mine are green.

Those should be Bilstein "struts".
IronHillRestorations
I have some NOS Boges from Porsche and they are gray. I'll look at my 6 and see what it has, but I can't say if they are the original ones.
Eric_Shea
I have some NOS Boges from Porsche and they are gray.

Perry, are those on a car? I'm wondering if "replacements" came in grey... confused24.gif
Rusty
Perhaps my front struts were replaced somewhere along the line, but before I powdercoated the entire front suspension smoke chrome... (no lynchings, please)... mine were black.

Hope this helps,
Lawrence
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.