Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POR-15 + Brake Fluid =
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racunniff
Well, I should have known. I forgot to attach the brake fluid reservoir while the car was out for paint, and brake fluid spilled inside the gas tank compartment headbang.gif . Let this be a cautionary tale: given enough time, brake fluid will dissolve just about anything. After *making sure* that I attached the reservoir this time, I scraped off all the loose paint (it was bubbled up just like it would have been with aircraft stripper...) and took this photo for your viewing pleasure. And, yes, the dent there is intentional - part of slightly expanding the compartment for batteries - http://volt914.blogspot.com

Click to view attachment
914Mike
QUOTE(racunniff @ Jul 6 2007, 09:24 PM) *

Well, I should have known. I forgot to attach the brake fluid reservoir while the car was out for paint, and brake fluid spilled inside the gas tank compartment headbang.gif . Let this be a cautionary tale: given enough time, brake fluid will dissolve just about anything. After *making sure* that I attached the reservoir this time, I scraped off all the loose paint (it was bubbled up just like it would have been with aircraft stripper...) and took this photo for your viewing pleasure. And, yes, the dent there is intentional - part of slightly expanding the compartment for batteries - http://volt914.blogspot.com

drooley.gif
Mmm, Mahles!

The pic on your blog looks like it's gray, this inside shot is more blue. What color did you have it sprayed, Ross? It looks like it matches the wheels too! Are the wheels painted? (A lot of Mahles were.) idea.gif
JPB
Dang, I hate new paint. Sorry to hear this. I don't like the stresses of having a perfect looking car. sad.gif
racunniff
QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 7 2007, 04:23 AM) *

Dang, I hate new paint. Sorry to hear this. I don't like the stresses of having a perfect looking car. sad.gif

Fortunately, I did not have them spray the gas tank compartment - it was POR-15 overcoated with rattle-can silver. The exterior is silver single-stage acrylic enamel:

Click to view attachment

I think the blue-ish tint of the picture is an artifact of the automatic color balance of the camera fighting with the lighting conditions (dusk, with the automatic flash). I did not bother color-correcting it, just wanted to show the damage dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.