Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Push Button/Toggle Switch Type Ignition - Anyone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
customstarr
Dealing with some ignition switch woes - my 1971 has a bad switch - I bought the 1973-74 switch (based on the Pelican article) and was dealt a major surprise.

What I really need is a 70-71 column assembly (just the column surround & the ignition switch guts - not the whole steering assm.) with the key & harness (early cars have hard wired ignition switches) - if anyone has a 70 or 71 around with this part, PM me - I've got $$$ waiting to but the part.

My next option is installing the "race" style toggle and push button ignition switch. I'm wondering if anyone here has done that & if there is a diagram floating around out there that designates the wiring on the switch. I know the wire and circuit numbers, I just don't know what is what for wiring the toggle/push button set up.

I'm posting a WTB in the classifieds. If anyone has a 70-71 ignition switch assm or know of one, please help a brother out!

Thanks!!!
JPB
Its one thing to hit a button and have the strater run but then you have all the other wires to stay hot to keep the car running. When you think one switch will do the trick, then you will need at least one more if not multiple switches for all you AUX items. If your car is a striped down racer then a bunch of switches would be the way to go but if your car is restored or restorable, the original setup is the best for you and the next person who will purchase it from you and that might be me. The PO of my car removed all the blinker setup and took a while to find what I could do to get it street legal. What a PITA.

Good luck beer.gif
customstarr
QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 7 2007, 05:25 AM) *

Its one thing to hit a button and have the strater run but then you have all the other wires to stay hot to keep the car running. When you think one switch will do the trick, then you will need at least one more if not multiple switches for all you AUX items. If your car is a striped down racer then a bunch of switches would be the way to go but if your car is restored or restorable, the original setup is the best for you and the next person who will purchase it from you and that might be me. The PO of my car removed the blinker setup in my car and that took me a while to find what I could do to get it street legal.

Good luck beer.gif

Yes - the toggle will be the "stay on" power for the car (i.e. fuel pump, etc.) and the push button will be momentary "start only."

And yes... what I really want is a replacement part.
customstarr
Got it - new switch at a local parts store.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.