Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ?Original miles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slim72914
I bought the car and the guy says it has been sitting since 86. Says it was in his family for " a long time" before that. He also said that the odometer is original miles. anyway to tell if it has been rolled over??

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Does the rest of the car look like it has 9906 miles?

cool_shades.gif
sww914
Look at the pedal pads. They should show no wear at 9,000 miles. I know they're easy to change, but that's one clue. The bottom of the car, the inside of the wheel wells, and the front of the car should be chip-free also. The seats and carpets should show no wear. Keep looking, and ask yourself, would this happen in 9,000 miles or 109,000 or 209,000?
sww914
Also, I'll repeat this as rumor, but somebody recently told me that each time it rolls over, one number will sit a little lower that the others. If it's been rolled over once, the 1's digit will sit lower. Twice, and the 10's digit will sit lower. Three times and the 100's digit will sit lower, and so on. That was the first time that I'd ever heard it before, maybe I'll send an email to the Mythbusters and ask them to test it.
swl
wow - if that is really only 9K you are the luckiest guy going!

As above have a look at the rest of the car. The difference between 9K and 109K should be pretty obvious. Wear on the pedals is usually a good indicator. Of course they can be replaced but a worn one would set you thinking 109. The seats wear like iron so they aren't always a good indicator. Don't know where else to get a quick feel. Maybe the shocks? Mine are still original (98K) but really show their miles - leaking. Maybe the tires? I wonder what OE would have been. 9K over 12 years would not have worn out the tires but they would have been starting to crack and such.
slim72914
The problem of trying to look at wear is it was parked outside in AZ since 86.... the summer sun is quite brutal on interior with untinted windows and paint. The inside of both front and rear trunks look almost brand new. The rubber pad on the gas pedal looks extremely good. No wear at all. the other 2 have light surface rust and no pad at all. What were the stock tires?

If the idea of a digit sitting lower than the rest is true it looks like the 3rd digit is lower. rolled over 3 times???? 309906 miles? from 72-86? I guess it is possible...
swl
The sun certainly can be brutal on an interior. What you are looking for is areas that get worn just from the process of driving. That looks quite different than sun damage.

Rather odd that the rubber covers are missing from the brake and clutch.

What about the parking brake handle - what does it look like? And the seat adjuster handle.
jonferns
steering wheel??? shift knob??? they can also show wear... biggrin.gif --JON
914Sixer
Looks like it has rolled over 100k at least once.
sww914
One other thing. Does the seller seem like he's full of stromberg.gif ?
Has he told you several things that seem a little weird or too good to be true?
Have you had to suspend your disbelief as many times as you do at a Bruce Willis action movie?

I bought a $300.00 Volvo from a guy once who lied like crazy out of one side of his mouth while preaching religion out of the other. According to him, he had just replaced almost everything on the car. I had already paid him and I was starting to drive away as he was telling me that he had just replaced the radiator. As I was inspecting the car I had noticed that it was an old, old, OEM Volvo radiator with most of the fins coming loose from the tubes.
I don't get it. The deal was done, I knew exactly what I was getting, I was leaving, and he was still lying to me.
But, that was the most reliable car that I'd ever had until I started buying brand new cars. I drove it for 4 years and sold it for more that I bought it for when it was almost dead.
slim72914
Every thing on the inside is in great shape except anything soft... carpet seats dash pad. Im guessing its NOT 9000 original miles though... even if it is I cant prove it so it doesnt mean anything anyway! time to sawzall-smiley.gif ...
slim72914
I guess you can decide if you see it!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Do you know if the odo works? If it's been sitting outside for 20+ years without moving it really doesn't matter if it's 9900 miles...except for maybe the hellhole.

BTW, what's the difference between original and non-original miles? idea.gif
swl
QUOTE(slim72914 @ Jul 7 2007, 09:16 PM) *

I guess you can decide if you see it!

Not sure what the question is in your picture.
JPB
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 7 2007, 11:42 PM) *

steering wheel??? shift knob??? they can also show wear... biggrin.gif --JON

SendJohnnyJohn hit it right on the head. If the steering wheel looks brand new, purchase the car, sell the steering wheel and plan for retirement! beer.gif
swl
Sounds like somebody likes good original steering wheels!

First thing I did when I bought the car way back when was replace the steering wheel with a small diameter one. Original is near new. Trade you for a rust free tub lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.