Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT...camera software won't download
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwade
I just got a new digital camera (Pentax optio 4S) and in the process of trying
to load the software from the CD into my computer I got an error message
reading: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you
are running Windows in a safe mode (I'm not) or if the windows installer is not correctly installed.

Any thoughts before I plunk down $49.95 to Dell for 90 days of tech support? sad.gif

Thanks

john
anthony
Forget "camera" software. I've used a compact flash reader with my last three cameras and have never had to install camera software. The software that ships with cameras these days often seems like an afterthought.
redshift
Clear your c:\Windows\Temp directory

Then DOWNLOAD the latest set of drivers from the manufacturer.

That should do it.

M
eresener
Which windows operating system are u running....this sounds like an XP problem?
seanery
restart your computer.
Then make sure you don't have any other apps running.
do a "CTRL+ALT+DEL" to get into the task manager.
SirAndy
you can get a update to the installer from the microsoft website.

do you have the latest service packs installed?
if not, do that first. that "should" fix your problem.

go here to load the latest service packs:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

if that doesn't help, search the microsoft website for the standalone installer update. i know it's there somewhere, did that on my laptop about 6 month ago.

Andy
SirAndy
guys, the error he's getting comes from the windows OS built in Installer Service, NOT from his camera software or drivers ...

his "Installer Service" is out of date and needs to be updated,
Andy
DuckRyder
QUOTE(anthony @ Dec 14 2003, 04:04 PM)
Forget "camera" software. I've used a compact flash reader with my last three cameras and have never had to install camera software. The software that ships with cameras these days often seems like an afterthought.

I agree.

agree.gif

Not only that the afterthougth software always wants to do a hostile takeover on your pictures. ar15.gif
jwade
Yes, I am runnig XP.
I did restart the computer.
I am currently downloading all the fixes on the MS site.

Where can I get the compact flash software?
And I can't find any stand alone software on the MS site that seems to
work with XP.

But I guess I'll keep plugging away at it til it works (just like my 914)

john
DuckRyder
I do not know what Pentax is shipping for software or what type of interfaces it might have.

I have one of those HP printers with a card slot in it, and as soon as you stick the card in it, it sees it like a new disk drive.

If the camera has a USB cable, the computer will probably see the camera as a new disk drive as well.

The software is probably photo editing software, and if your computer came pre-loaded with anything like Adobe Photoshop Elements (which both I bought lately did) it is more than likely better than what is packed with the camera anyway.
EdwardBlume
Yeah, go to Pentax's website and download the latest drivers or get tech support. I had the same issues with a Kodak camera and got it done through the website. BTW- Kodak's software is a PITA. Better to find your own.
Pnambic
On my HP digital camera, there is actually a setting on it that allows me tell the camera to present itself to the connected computer as a removable disk-drive instead of a camera. This allows me to connect to any computer (via USB) and access any pictures that are on the camera. It also allows me to use the camera as portable storage if necessary.

A Compact Flach reader is not software; its a small adapter that plugs into your computer's USB plug and allow the computer to read the compact flash memory card that many digital cameras use as a removable disk drive. Looking at the stats on your camera, it doesn't use Compact Flash, but most of those readers support other types of memory cards as well. Look for one that reads Secure Digital (SD) or MMC cards since thats what your camera uses.

But if you can't do that....I got this from Microsoft:

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

- Log on to your computer as an administrator.
 - Click Start, and then click Run.
 - In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
 - At the command prompt, type msiexec.exe /unregister, and then press ENTER.
 - Type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

- Verify that the SYSTEM account has full control access permissions to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive in the Windows registry. In some cases, you may also have to add Administrator accounts. To do so:WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

-Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
 - Click the following registry hive:
 - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
 - On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
 - If SYSTEM is not listed in the Group or user names list, click Add, make sure that the local computer name appears in the From this location box, type system in the Enter the object names to select box, click Check Names, and then click OK.
 - Click SYSTEM in the Group or user names list, and then select the Full Control check box under Allow in the Permissions for SYSTEM box.
 - Click Apply, click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

- Restart the computer. If the problem is not resolved, repair Windows XP. For additional information about how to repair Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: KB315353

Hope this works out!
jwade
Thanks for all the advise. Most of it is greek to me, but I'm willing to
give it a try.

I did get the pictures to download from the camera into my computer
but I would like to be able to massage them with the Pentax software
(such as 3D and panoramic shots)

Wish me luck.

john
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.