Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to the world of too kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Piddled around with this & that under the 914 this morning, until the heat index rose above 100. Then I retired to the coolness of a 60 degree basement & decided to open up my sealed tool kit. Each piece placed into baggies with Dryrite ( from my days as a chemist for Kodak - many years ago). Everything looked good, except for 2 pieces, which look like crap! Sorry, camera batteries are charging - no pics until tomorrow.

Mine is the kit from a '72. The pliers, and the wrench (13/8mm) came out pitted & oxidized. Not rust, but black oxidation. Found a pinhole in each baggie. These have been in storage for 14 years.

So....what's my cure. I've seen Bliznick's pics of his spares, some of which appear to be dichromate plated. Don't recall mine ever looking like that, but I do like it.

Yeah, I know this is no good without pics. Tomorrow.

I'm bummed!
Pat
Jasfsmith
Ooooh. What a shame. This will definitely score you a demerit in the Preservation class for sure. <grin>

Better start looking for ones in better condition.....

BTW, the judges asked me not only open my tool kit but take the tools out for them to check over at the past two Parades...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.