Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zaney
The topic description says it all. I want to replace my older starter/solinoid with a newer mini hi-torque model. Can this be done with the enigine still in the car?

Thanks!
Nate beer.gif
pankopp
Yes you can. two bolts on the top and bottom, and remove the wires that are attached to the rear end... easy 10 min job...

QUOTE(Zaney @ Jul 9 2007, 08:17 AM) *

The topic description says it all. I want to replace my older starter/solinoid with a newer mini hi-torque model. Can this be done with the enigine still in the car?

Thanks!
Nate beer.gif

fat73
QUOTE(Zaney @ Jul 9 2007, 08:17 AM) *

Thanks!
Nate beer.gif

FYI...

I have one of those on my 914/WRX. One thing I had to do was to rotate the face of the starter a little to make the starter body/solenoid clear the rear trunk floor pan. I think it is attached with allen bolts if it's the same starter.

Ed aka W9R1

IronHillRestorations
Do yourself a favor and get a Bosch starter. I just replaced a flywheel on a 6 because the owner got one of those. Never had any problems with Bosch starters.
KaptKaos
I have had a hi-torque one for about 2 years - no problems.

10 min job to replace.

Once you find the top nut, you will never forget where it is. Hint: its accessed from the engine bay. laugh.gif
ConeDodger
McMark has uses a pair of flat washers to space the starter from the bellhousing. I think he found it was a little deeper when it engaged the flywheel. Maybe he will chime in as I have been waiting to install mine until I talk to him.
ConeDodger
Also, to answer your original question. The top bolt on the starter is accessed through the engine compartment on the driver side. the bottom bolt is inboard and underneath.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.