Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlights:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Johny Blackstain
Obviously I have to remove my H4s from the LE & put something more stock in- what's the best & brightest & CW legal?

cool_shades.gif
(H4's are going in the six- purist atrocity! happy11.gif )
Johny Blackstain
I guess not!

cool_shades.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
JB,
I guess if you're gonna take the "purist" approach and go after Pat Garvey for a PCA Parade victory, you had better get some '70s-era sealed-beam headlights. (Just don't expect much in the way of night vision, however).

I'm leaving my Cibie lamps in, just like I'm keeping my 195/60s on, along with my Euro T/L lenses, A/M s/w, and LE/SE airdam. I'm the who owns and drives this car afterall, not the concours judges. If I lose 'cause of my "improvements", oh well. My enjoyment of the car precedes the need for a ribbon to validate the care I've given it these past 32 years.

Paul
Johny Blackstain
Paul- I'm mostly w/ you. What few mods I've made to the LE I'm undoing, mostly. Changing out my stereo, removed the Bursch & got a Dansk. I'm not giving up tires, Pertronix, SS exchangers & powder coated heating ducts. I figured those are enough knocks against "Knikki" & had seen those new Sylvanias on TV where they're driving in an SUV out west somewhere & "The Who" (I Can See For Miles) is the music playing in the background. Wondering if they're any good? I think they're halogens, they put out more light than the old tungstons & are still an old-fashioned sealed beam headlight, unlike H4s.

I really am very new to this & know I'm never putting myself through this again. This is why I bought the six- she's already been so molested that all I can do is molest her more, but my way. When I'm done w/ the six, someday, I might enter her in a show just to piss everyone off... CWs, mods, purists, etc... cause the plan is to make her into a factory looking 916 all the way, or as close as I'll get (SS oil lines instead of brass tubing). The entire point being to cause confusion-"Did it come that way!?" happy11.gif That & have a car I can drive, enjoy & get dirty! I call it the Renegade Purist Philosophy or what would have happened if you let me loose @ the factory biggrin.gif .

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
Oohh (hands rubbing together here)!

These are the things I want to hear.

Now, if I can just get Jafsmith to lose those Coker tires........
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 12 2007, 10:41 PM) *

Rub away Pat cause win or loose it's going to be a good fight happy11.gif . Knikki had 2 more yrs on the road over Fritz, but she went into hibernation for a full 24 yrs before taking these past 5 yrs to slowly wake up. Looking forward to it thumb3d.gif !

On a more serious note, why does the size of a tire matter over the brand? My car came w/ Dunlops that are no longer available in the original size, but is going to be sporting Dunlops. Tires wear out/rot & are expected to be changed. The car never came w/ Cokers or any other brand other than Dunlop. Should that not matter more than the size? I would think OEM would mean more than the right size in a concours?

As for the best sealed beam headlight to use it seems no-one has an opinion dry.gif . I found this webpage & concluded it's time to inform any judges that Sylvanias are now OEM, since they have appeared to have merged somehow w/ Osram-

http://catalog.headlightswholesale.com/buy...mp;make_code=PO

cool_shades.gif
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 13 2007, 12:28 AM) *

Rub away Pat cause win or loose it's going to be a good fight happy11.gif . Knikki had 2 more yrs on the road over Fritz, but she went into hibernation for a full 24 yrs before taking these past 5 yrs to slowly wake up. Looking forward to it thumb3d.gif !

On a more serious note, why does the size of a tire matter over the brand? My car came w/ Dunlops that are no longer available in the original size, but is going to be sporting Dunlops. Tires wear out/rot & are expected to be changed. The car never came w/ Cokers or any other brand other than Dunlop. Should that not matter more than the size? I would think OEM would mean more than the right size in a concours?

As for the best sealed beam headlight to use it seems no-one has an opinion dry.gif . I found this webpage & concluded it's time to inform any judges that Sylvanias are now OEM, since they have appeared to have merged somehow w/ Osram-

cool_shades.gif

The size of the tire is the key not the brand. Any tire that matches up to that noted in the Owner's manual (which states what size the car should have) would be correct regardless of brand (no mention in the Owner's manual is made to brand). A "period" correct tire would be a bonus. I am fortunate to have the original tire mounted spare, a 165H15 Michelin XAS. Michelin no longer manufactures the tire, however Coker Tire does via license, using (I believe) the original molds. I believe they also manufacture several other "period" correct tires.

As a side note, Maine has a law that restricts tire replacement to only that that the car manufacture recognizes as an OEM replacement. The state inspections and tire service centers are enforcing it pretty much to the letter. Size (which includes profile) is never waivered, however the speed rating (if greater than original) is generally being accepted. This means that to be competitive at any track event, I would have to have a second set of tires (that I would have to obtain and mount as no "tire" service station would) to run on the track, and use the Porsche designed spec tire for state inspection.

As to the headlights, I would judge that any headlight offered during the "period" that was a US spec headlamp (that would be a sealed beam) would be correct.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 18 2007, 02:53 PM) *

The size of the tire is the key not the brand. Any tire that matches up to that noted in the Owner's manual (which states what size the car should have) would be correct regardless of brand (no mention in the Owner's manual is made to brand). A "period" correct tire would be a bonus. I am fortunate to have the original tire mounted spare, a 165H15 Michelin XAS. Michelin no longer manufactures the tire, however Coker Tire does via license, using (I believe) the original molds. I believe they also manufacture several other "period" correct tires.

As a side note, Maine has a law that restricts tire replacement to only that that the car manufacture recognizes as an OEM replacement. The state inspections and tire service centers are enforcing it pretty much to the letter. Size (which includes profile) is never waivered, however the speed rating (if greater than original) is generally being accepted. This means that to be competitive at any track event, I would have to have a second set of tires (that I would have to obtain and mount as no "tire" service station would) to run on the track, and use the Porsche designed spec tire for state inspection.

As to the headlights, I would judge that any headlight offered during the "period" that was a US spec headlamp (that would be a sealed beam) would be correct.

That does not seem right to me but I know nothing. If I was a judge however, OEM would matter more than the size. Little tidbits like yours came w. Michelins & mine w/ Dunlops are what I would be looking for. If I was a judge people would hate me because of little stuff like that... happy11.gif "why aren't your headlights OSRAM or Hella? - 2 points" av-943.gif "Are those Bosch spark plugs?" I could go on & on biggrin.gif
orthobiz

But does anyone have experience with sealed beam halogens (not the H4 bulb type) headlamps? Do they afford more light over regular headlamps?

Paul
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 18 2007, 06:07 PM) *

But does anyone have experience with sealed beam halogens (not the H4 bulb type) headlamps? Do they afford more light over regular headlamps?

Paul

Yes! The new Sylvanias are halogen gas filled & the original lights were tungston filaments. One is white/blue light & the other might as well be a candle.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 12 2007, 10:28 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

I'm a little confooosed! Your's is a '74, yet it has 2 more years on the road than my '72? What am I missing here?

The tire thing is a matter of what was originally available for your 914. The PCR's rule what your 914 can wear for tires & still be original. For example, mine is currently wearing 175/70 Pirelli Cinturautos - a major gig! The car came with Continentals, but 165/78. Still have the original spare to prove it, but it's 35 years old & I wouldn't trust it. These tires are 28 years old, look good & hold air - but I'd never make a trip on them. So, I'll go to Coker to find some 165 XAS's. Need tires anyway & I no longer autocross (but have a set of 185/70 Yokos if I decide to). If someone shows up with the proper size tires, but in something like Kumho or any other contemporary brand - they'll lose points.

Now, two things you need to remember, and the first is the biggest:

First - (since you'll be in the Preseravtion class), your 914 will be judged on originality FIRST (60% of your potential score), with presentation the remainder. So, originality is paramount - anyone can clean a car, even underneath, just takes time.

Second - you'll need to provide paper proof of the origin of the car. Kardex or COA - you'll need to present it, or get bumped into another class. You'll also need to provide proof of ownership - when YOU became owner of the car. Plus, the judges are "supposed" to lean towards cars that are regularly used, so a mileage chart wouldn't hurt.

In my opinion, as well as Parade experience, it has become cumbersome to try to figure out how to compete. My first Parade? 1974. Have a 914? Yep. Four or Six? Four. Over there!

No questions about anything else - the judges sorted out everything. It was easy & I liked it better, but you adapt.

And, sealed beams. In Pa, you can't drive a vintage car after dark, so it makes no difference - go with originality.

Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 18 2007, 10:10 PM) *

I'm a little confooosed! Your's is a '74, yet it has 2 more years on the road than my '72? What am I missing here?

The tire thing is a matter of what was originally available for your 914. The PCR's rule what your 914 can wear for tires & still be original. For example, mine is currently wearing 175/70 Pirelli Cinturautos - a major gig! The car came with Continentals, but 165/78. Still have the original spare to prove it, but it's 35 years old & I wouldn't trust it. These tires are 28 years old, look good & hold air - but I'd never make a trip on them. So, I'll go to Coker to find some 165 XAS's. Need tires anyway & I no longer autocross (but have a set of 185/70 Yokos if I decide to). If someone shows up with the proper size tires, but in something like Kumho or any other contemporary brand - they'll lose points.

Now, two things you need to remember, and the first is the biggest:

First - (since you'll be in the Preseravtion class), your 914 will be judged on originality FIRST (60% of your potential score), with presentation the remainder. So, originality is paramount - anyone can clean a car, even underneath, just takes time.

Second - you'll need to provide paper proof of the origin of the car. Kardex or COA - you'll need to present it, or get bumped into another class. You'll also need to provide proof of ownership - when YOU became owner of the car. Plus, the judges are "supposed" to lean towards cars that are regularly used, so a mileage chart wouldn't hurt.

In my opinion, as well as Parade experience, it has become cumbersome to try to figure out how to compete. My first Parade? 1974. Have a 914? Yep. Four or Six? Four. Over there!

No questions about anything else - the judges sorted out everything. It was easy & I liked it better, but you adapt.

And, sealed beams. In Pa, you can't drive a vintage car after dark, so it makes no difference - go with originality.

Pat

Pat- I have a COA. I have a Kardex. I have a BOS w/ my name on it- will it matter that I was 11 when the old man bought the car & put it in my name laugh.gif ?

I was reading the history of Fritz somewhere in an old thread & how you drove him for 2 years before you took him off & reconditoned him. In those 2 years you put 40k miles on him? The other 20k have been over the past 25 yrs or so. Did I get my math wrong?

I think I understand what you are saying regarding tires. It's like we're back in 75, no modern tires are available & we have to make do w/ not only the right size but the manufacturers of the time. Well there goes some points cause I'm not buying more tires.

You may think Knikki is a "beast", & she very well may be, but she's the prettiest beast you've ever seen happy11.gif . To be honest I don't mind getting beat by another, nicer teener, but my ego could not take loosing to a 911 or another LE biggrin.gif . I have to be the nicest LE! That last sentance is going to alienate me from all my LE sisters... stromberg.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.