Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will it ever run right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
por73914
Hey guys and girls,

My 74 2.0 has a problem, no big suprise there. But here is the deal I actually bought the teener out of a field for 900.00 and it had been sitting there since 94'.
I changed the oil, new points and plugs drained the fuel tank changed the fuel filter and she started up. I have since driven it close to a 1000 miles. But it has a problem that I cannot seem to get worked out. When I come to a stop it wants to die, I have the idle set at 1000 RPM's. Also when I am driving down the road in any gear it will cut out like the you have switched the key off and turned it back on. I have changed the fuel filter and it ran better for a couple of days but I do not think that is it. Any sugestions? blink.gif
toon1
Sounds electrical to me. Check all your grounds, Fi trigger points, wire harness, etc. . With a prob. like that, on a car that has been in a field for 12 years, it could be anything.
por73914
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:26 PM) *

Sounds electrical to me. Check all your grounds, Fi trigger points, wire harness, etc. . With a prob. like that, on a car that has been in a field for 12 years, it could be anything.

I have some issues with my curciut board, could it be in there?
BahnBrenner914
You cleaned the tank too, not just drained it right?
por73914
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:59 PM) *

You cleaned the tank too, not just drained it right?

Yep-cleaned, drained and sealed (por-15)
toon1
QUOTE(por73914 @ Jul 10 2007, 10:42 AM) *

Absolutely! What you are describing, it may be a mother to track down. I had a prob. similar to yours, then one day the car just quit. Turns out, the throttle cable was touching the spade connector on the ign. coil. It wore through the coating on the outside and touched the metal. The elect. current ran all the way back through to the ign. switch and melted it barf.gif It was crazy man blink.gif
SirAndy

agree.gif when i first got my car, i was chasing similar problems and i finally bit the bullet and bought a brand new relay board.

man, what a difference that made ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: that was before this forum was alive, so i didn't know better.
if you do a search here, there's a good thread on how to evaluate your current board and fix it if needed ...
por73914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 10 2007, 01:44 PM) *

agree.gif when i first got my car, i was chasing similar problems and i finally bit the bullet and bought a brand new relay board.

man, what a difference that made ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: that was before this forum was alive, so i didn't know better.
if you do a search here, there's a good thread on how to evaluate your current board and fix it if needed ...

Thanks Andy, I will see what I can round up - those boards are expensive new WOW beerchug.gif
por73914
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 10 2007, 01:11 PM) *

Absolutely! What you are describing, it may be a mother to track down. I had a prob. similar to yours, then one day the car just quit. Turns out, the throttle cable was touching the spade connector on the ign. coil. It wore through the coating on the outside and touched the metal. The elect. current ran all the way back through to the ign. switch and melted it barf.gif It was crazy man blink.gif

Well I am not going to give up! It is a great little car and I am going to figure it out. I will check my cable but what are the chances of that happening twice confused24.gif , I am sure we have all seen stranger things though. beer.gif
toon1
QUOTE(por73914 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:07 PM) *

Well I am not going to give up! It is a great little car and I am going to figure it out. I will check my cable but what are the chances of that happening twice confused24.gif , I am sure we have all seen stranger things though. beer.gif

what happened to me was more of a fluke.
por73914
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 10 2007, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(por73914 @ Jul 10 2007, 12:07 PM) *

what happened to me was more of a fluke.

Most everything that happens to me is a fluke biggrin.gif
5string6string
grounds and hot connections can be deceiving. You can have an almost invisible contamination at the connection point leading to the types of symptoms described. Grounding out wires will do the same. Make sure every connecton is clean and tight. Very unlikely that your brain is cooked.
gary gartner

a faulty Cyl head temp sensor caused similar problem with my 75 2.0
driving.gif
Gary
por73914
QUOTE(gary gartner @ Jul 10 2007, 02:39 PM) *

a faulty Cyl head temp sensor caused similar problem with my 75 2.0
driving.gif
Gary

Hey Gary,

Where is that part located? My problems don't start until the car gets warmed up. However my temp gauge reads normal.
por73914
QUOTE(5string6string @ Jul 10 2007, 02:26 PM) *

grounds and hot connections can be deceiving. You can have an almost invisible contamination at the connection point leading to the types of symptoms described. Grounding out wires will do the same. Make sure every connecton is clean and tight. Very unlikely that your brain is cooked.

Thanks for the suggestion I will check them out!

And welcome.png
gary gartner

located betewwn cyls on passenger side of engine.
green wire coming out of the tin,
not related to oil temp that your temp gauge reads.
driving.gif
gary
por73914
QUOTE(gary gartner @ Jul 10 2007, 03:15 PM) *

located betewwn cyls on passenger side of engine.
green wire coming out of the tin,
not related to oil temp that your temp gauge reads.
driving.gif
gary

Thanks Gary I will look at it tonight. beerchug.gif
por73914
I got to thinking headbang.gif maybe the fuel filter that I am using is incorrect. It is a cheap inline filter from Wal-Mart, it is not very big. What should I be using? confused24.gif
toon1
You should use the stock filter or a FI filter.
por73914
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 11 2007, 09:13 AM) *

You should use the stock filter or a FI filter.

The one I am using is not FI but looks alot like the one pelican has pictured and the stock stock filter. Should I try a larger FI filter? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.